We have stayed at the Tern Inn on several occasions, and this year, for the first time, we rented one of the cottages for a week rather than staying in the main inn.
The property is on a quiet road off Main Street (Route 28) in West Harwich, beautifully landscaped, with birch trees, hydrangea, pots of flowers, and lovely niches across the green expanse of lawn where comfortable chairs invite guests to read or listen to the birds. Families with little ones will enjoy the playground, and the pool is just three and a half feet deep all the way across, so it's safe for youngsters but just right for lap-swimming as well.
When we stayed at the inn, we enjoyed a continental breakfast each day (included in the price) in the dining room, which features a bank of windows looking out over the trees and gardens.
This year we rented the Seagull, the largest of the cottages at the Tern Inn. The cottages are available only in season, as they're not heated (but they do have A/C, which we never needed). The Seagull has three bedrooms, a full-size kitchen combined with a dining/eating area, and a private patio with gas grill and laundry line for hanging wet towels and swimsuits. The kitchen is fully equipped with dishes, pots/pans, coffeemaker, microwave, cutlery, glasses, etc. In addition to the bathroom (which includes a large and convenient glass-front medicine cabinet), two of the bedrooms have their own sinks.
There are thoughtful touches throughout -- reading lamps for each twin bed and both sides of each double bed; hooks for hats and jackets inside the back entry; and a cabinet with drawers for storing miscellaneous items. (You'll find information about area attractions and menus from local restaurants in one of the drawers.)
Both the inn and cottages are clean and bright, and the manicured property is evidence of the fact that the owners, Joan and David, live there. They're charming, friendly people, and we always look forward to seeing them again.
Take your own linens and towels (including a dish towel) if you stay in one of the cottages; pillows and blankets are provided. If you prefer not to take your own linens and towels, they can be provided for a fee.Breakfast and daily housekeeping service are included in the price of accommodations at the inn, but not for the cottages.
The inn is within walking distance of Pleasant Road Beach and the shops along Route 28, but set back far enough that it's quiet. It's a treat to get up early and sit on the patio with a cup of coffee, listening to the birds and enjoying the breeze. We can't wait to return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A big thank you to our awesome guests for the great reviews they've posted on Trip Advisor! The Tern Inn is in the ideal central location on Cape Cod just a short drive to Provincetown, Chatham, Wellfleet or Hyannis. We have clean, updated rooms with new whisper quiet Mini Split Air Conditioning. We offer a great breakfast (included with a guest room stay) and are a short 1/2 mile walk to the beach. We are in a residential setting. On our 2 private acre property, there is our Main Inn which offers 2 guest rooms (each with private entrance and bath), our Carriage House building has 6 guest rooms (all with private baths). In the summer season we offer 6 terrific guest cottages which are each different from one another. The cottages are booked for a minimum of one week. They are fully equipped with complete kitchen, AC, color TV, and a variety of bedroom arrangements. Come to us soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your The Tern Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Tern Hotel West Harwich
- The Tern Inn West Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts