“Much better than I expected”

Red Roof PLUS+ West Springfield
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in West Springfield
Reviewed 4 July 2012

For the price it was better than I expected. The room was not fancy but it was clean. Close to a lot and easy to get to. I will stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JLA02911

Reviewed 3 July 2012

I would have given this motel a lower rating if not for the reasonable price I paid ($62 including taxes) through Hotwire.com. We checked in late, so slim pickings for the rooms. Check-in was efficient. Room size was average for a motel like this (rather cramped with sink area outside of the bathroom). One major negative was the faint cigarette smoke that was discernible through the air freshener. I arrived at the motel first, noticed the odor but tolerated it. When my wife arrived 30 minutes later, she noticed it right away, so I called the front desk. The young lady asked, "How come it took you 1/2 hour to notice the smoke in the room?" It felt less like customer service and more like an interrogation. I firmly asked if another room with a king bed was available. Given the time of night, none was available. Little quirks of this motel: no hair dryer in the bathroom; the only ice machine is located near the main office. Perhaps characteristic of the city, the neighborhood has a distinctive blue collar feel (not quite ghetto). Smokers in the outdoor corridors were plentiful. There's a Hooter's located right next door that attracted a legion of Hell's Angel type of Harley riders. I remember a few bikers throttled their bikes to intimidate, but most bikers were well-behaved. I liked the simulated wood floor (no grungy carpeting). Overall, it's okay given that we just needed a place to crash for the night--late check-in and early check-out.

Room Tip: ADA compliant rooms (for disabled) seem to be a bit cheaper than regular rooms. Ask for a room with...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2012

the room was recently renovated, like the other reviewers have said. actually i have nothing to add to the last few reviews. I just wanted to confirm what has recently been said about this property. For the rate you will be able to find, it is a win. Just ask for the hair dryer when you are checking in to save the hassle later.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2012

No microwave unless you ask, no hair dryer unless you ask. Slow internet. Just thought you should know they are available if needed. Great beds and great pillows and nicely decorated room with a 37 inch flat screen TV. The room have the partial hard wood floors and some carpet by the bed. Close to many restaurants and shopping centers.(90/91)

Room Tip: Ask to have safe charge removed if mot used at the end of your stay.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We stayed here for two nights. Although I asked for a first floor room, the night-time front desk check-in clerk told me no. She had zero personality, but I will say she was efficient -- no chatting, just sign the paperwork and get the key and go. The room has been nicely remodeled. The amenities are limited--no hairdryer, very limited cable stations, no coffeemaker...and the wifi kept drifting in and out--somewhat annoying. All in all, a decent place, just be aware of the lack of amenities and you'll be happy. The day staff were very friendly.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2012

stay for 1 night last week, room was renovated, the outside is old but a nice surprise would recommend to anyone travelling the highway

Room Tip: hooter next door we easy walk and food
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2012

First the positives. The location is great, right next to the interstates (90 & 91). Hotel has been updated so rooms are nice and clean. I got a rate about $10 more than the toilets across the street (Knights Inn and Springfield Motel). Money well spent.

Now the negatives: The wifi is so slow it is basically useless. I asked for a different room but it didn't help. So if you need to get work done and don't want to wait 2 minutes for every screen to refresh, this might not be the hotel for you. The other problem is they charge a tacky $2 fee because there is a safe in the room. I told them at check in that I didn't want the safe, they said no problem, you can opt out. Of course, when I check my bill I see they added it. What the owner doesn't seem to understand is that you nickel and dime people and add just a "little extra" to the bill doesn't get you repeat business. I'll stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank kevin41717
redroofinnws, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ West Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear valued guest;
We are happy that you found our hotel a good value for the price. I am sorry to hear that you had a problem with your wifi during your stay, I will share your comments with our wifi provider. Regarding the inn room safes, all rooms are equiped with them and the fee is simply an insurance for the limited warranty. Safes are provided for the safety of your valuables, and your peace of mind. If you were charged for the safe and would like it removed, we would be happy to remove the fee for you, just give us a call. Thank you for choosing Red Roof Inn.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Springfield
Clarion Hotel & Aqua Lagoon Water Park
Clarion Hotel & Aqua Lagoon Wate...
#10 of 17 in West Springfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#4 of 17 in West Springfield
Best Western Springfield West Inn
Best Western Springfield West In...
#2 of 17 in West Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Spri...
#3 of 17 in West Springfield
Hampton Inn West Springfield
Hampton Inn West Springfield
#1 of 17 in West Springfield

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ West Springfield? Share your experiences!