“Excellent B&B”
Review of Shaker Mill Inn

Shaker Mill Inn
Reviewed 4 August 2013

To be honest, my wife and I, having lived in Connecticut for more than 30 years before moving away 10 years ago, know the Berkshires quite well and have stayed in numerous places there. Most of these have been in the well known towns of Lenox, Stockbridge or Lee, with an occasional stay in the tiny village of South Egremont. So, when I tried to book a three day weekend in mid July and found no room at the inns where we used to go, my search turned to the quiet town of West Stockbridge in hopes of a decent B&B. Now, I should mention that our memories of West Stockbridge consisted of driving through past a small row of buildings that contained what looked like a slightly run down but funky old hotel and not much else.
I ran across the Shaker Mill Inn on Tripadvisor and it sounded OK, so I inquired and managed to book their last available room, the Honeymoon Suite. Well, my wife and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary this year, so I figured why not.
It turned out to be a very fortuitous choice. Owners Bob and Mary are friendly down to earth folks who run the B&B in a casual comfortable way. If they are not in the office, you can find your rooms keys attached to a bulletin board outside. Your breakfast is placed in your room each day, consisting of fresh locally made pastries, quiches and pasties. Pitchers of milk and orange juice are in the refrigerator as well as bowls holding small containers of butter, jam, cream and cream cheese. Our room had a toaster and a microwave. Mary and Bob keep the grounds well groomed and have a lovely rock flower garden at the entry to the property.
And speaking of the room, it was huge and the bathroom was also quite roomy. Though the room contained a large king bed, a sofa and coffee table, a breakfast table with chairs, a fire place, and the kitchen sink area, we still had plenty of room to spread out and move around. On the back side of the room, glass doors open onto a patio with a table and chairs. The bathroom had an enclosed shower and a Jacuzzi tub as well as a roomy sink area.
As others have mentioned, West Stockbridge has changed and it now features three decent restaurants and probably a fourth which we did not try. All of these are within easy walking distance of the inn - what a treat to be able to stroll to dinner. The town is also easy driving distance from many of the cultural events the Berkshires are famous for, so we will definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Roamin88

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed here with my friend and my two dogs. We had a very large room with 2 queen beds, a sofa and recliner, a table and chairs, kitchenette with sink, fridge, microwave and toaster oven. The fridge was stocked with juice and quiche for breakfast and there were wonderful breads. We enjoyed a complementary bottle of wine with our French bread and pâté from a nearby store, the gardens and staff were lovely!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rhonda B
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We normally shy away from country inns as they usually mean lumpy beds and no soundproofing between rooms.
We picked a winner with the Shaker Mill Inn. The owners Tom & Mary Thibeault do everything possible to make your stay memorable. When we arrived there was a decent bottle of wine in our room and each day breakfast goodies were placed in our frige. We chose the Rockwell Suite for a 5 day visit and were not disappointed. The suite was large with a good bed and bedding and good soundproofing. We look forward to a return visit.
West Stockbridge is in the heart of everything in the Berkshires: Tanglewood, the Rockwell Museum, Chesterwood, The Clark Museum and Mass MoCA (Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art), etc.
While the town does not boast many restaurants, what is there is good and within walking distance from the Inn. We loved Rouge, Nook & Cranny (for breakfast & lunch) and Truc Orient Express (this restaurant has been here for more than 25 years and features excellent Vietnamese cuisine).

Room Tip: All of the rooms are unique in some way.
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Had a great 2-night stay here. After the first night, we told Bob that the mattress was uncomfortably firm. That night, we arrived back at the inn to find a newly- purchased, plush mattress topper on the bed. Talk about good customer service! One thing to mention is that breakfast is eaten not in a communal dining room but in your own room, which has a kitchenette stocked with quiche, pastries, oatmeal, OJ, coffee, etc. We liked the convenience of eating whenever we wanted.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Just finished our second stay at the Shaker Mill Inn. My wife and I are 'locals' (we live about 30 minutes away) and have been here a couple of times in the last few months just for a quick getaway (kids, work, etc!!). Both times, we've stayed in the Honeymoon Suite and have been thrilled with our accomodations. The room is always immaculately clean (I know they take pets here but you wouldn't know it) and well kept-up.

There is a giant jacuzzi tub in the Honeymoon Suite, plus a good sized stand-up shower. There is also a nice gas fireplace. I really like how they do breakfast here - an assortment of bagels, muffins, quiche, juice, milk, etc. will be waiting in your room, so you can eat at your own pace in the morning.

Overall, I would say the Shaker Mill Inn is an outstanding value and a great place to get away.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

It is practically impossible to find any bed and breakfast that allows dogs. The Shaker Mill Inn not only allows dogs, they welcomed my baby Leonard and treated him just as important as any other guest. They even provided Leonard his very own "welcome basket" which included a bowl with treats, towels, a blanket and a wonderful book of places to walk with your dog in the area. There is a dog walk, although we didn't try it because Leonard prefers the "city life" and wanted to walk through the village. And, the rooms are absolutely gorgeous, clean, nicely furnished, well decorated and large! Nothing second rate about this classy bed and breakfast. There were even plenty of electrical outlets available so that I could plug in my iPhone, my iPad, and my laptop and I still had outlets available and that's something which is unheard of even at brand name hotels. If you're staying in the Stockbridge MA area, stay at the Shaker Mill Inn!!

Room Tip: The Queensboro has sliding glass doors that lead to a large patio area and is a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Merilee W
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Bob and Mary are great hosts for this 9 room bed and breakfast. After a number of years staying upstairs in the garden room, we moved to the Clark room on the first floor, easier on our now 3 legged dog, who has been most welcomed there. Rooms are big, bright, very comfortable, and the breakfast is there for the warning. I very much enjoyed breakfast on the deck. Its a great place to get away to.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Windflower Inn
#2 of 12 in Great Barrington
6 mi away
Federal House Inn

Been to Shaker Mill Inn? Share your experiences!