“Can't do better”

Pleasant Valley Motel West Stockbridge
Reviewed 3 September 2013

great location, nice pool for the money and they include a small breakfast . Linens outdated room looks like 1970 but very clean. Staff friendly. Close to highway and Tanglewood. I have stayed at other places equal in price in this area and they did not have a pool. which helps when you have kids.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank planetjf

Reviewed 30 August 2013

the motel is decent value for the money: has many amenities like fridge, microwave, iron and ironing board, TV, hair dyer, but no clock. The mgr. said we would have 2 queen beds, but when we arrived we discovered they were two double beds only. Asked for advice on restaurants for dinner and got no help other than to go into town and look around. Lotsa luck: some were closed on a Wed. and another was hidden off the main drag---kinda frustrating when you are tired and hungry and it's late. It's an okay place if one is not too fussy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunshine1492
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I will definitely return! I booked the motel using Hotwire and got a rate of $42.00 including taxes. I was suspicious at the low price but booked anyway based on the generally good reviews on Tripadvisor. I was not disappointed. Yes, it is not new but it was clean. No, there isn't a HD wide screen TV but the TV that was there worked just fine. The room I had came with two double beds and they were very comfortable. The bathroom had been totally renovated with a new shower stall bath tub combo, a new tile, toilet and vanity that was done very well. Obviously the owner has read the reviews of his motel and taken steps to correct them. It was very quiet and the location of the motel is superb if you want to explore The Berkshires as it would serve as an excellent base station to return to every night. As a bonus the room came with two very comfortable chairs for sitting in, a microwave, good size refrigerator if you were staying multiple days. If I was the owner I would replace some of the outdated lights, put in a HD wide screen TV and raise the rates by $10.00 or so a night. I will go back even if the owner doesn't make these changes as it is such great value, clean, quite, and comfortable. Everything a motel must be to be successful. A cold breakfast was also included of coffee, orange juice, and cereal. A very nice touch. I plan on returning to tour The Berkshires and this is where I will stay but I think I will book well in advance as there are only a limited number of rooms.

Room Tip: I was in a middle unit but didn't hear any noise which was nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Eagle1623
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We have stayed here for the past 3 years when we go to Tanglewood. While I was never keen on the place, it was adequate for our needs, the price was right, and each time we only stayed one night. We just returned from our latest overnight there and we will definitely not be going back. The owner is nice enough, and even told us that some of the rooms were renovated and that the mattresses were new last year. Well, getting in from the concert after midnight, my husband, as is his custom, yanked the covers off the bed prior to laying down. At that point, I couldn't help but notice that the sheets were flat sheets rather than fitted and did not cover the sides of the mattress. The mattress itself was stained (and we were in a renovated room). The pillow almost smelled dank. Since I was tired and had no place else to sleep, I slept in my clothes and when I awoke I lifted the sheets to see a decrepit and filthy mattress cover. I can overlook many things, but a filthy bed is not one of them. My advice: if you stay here, check the bed first!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank RWNW
Reviewed 14 August 2013

To put it simply, this is exactly how I imagine motels were in the 60s - a roadside place where you pull your car right up to the door for the night. It has basic amenities, plus strong wifi (multiple routers), a small breakfast, and a pool (which we didn't use). Most noticeably, the owner seemed very warm and interested in us enjoying our stay, and the price is unbelievable for being in a resort/tourist area like this.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank uclabobby
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We found the accommodation comfortable, clean and spacious, and very good value for money. We were travelling as a family of four and it was perfect for our needs. We appreciate the attention to caring for the garden, but perhaps don't run the hedge trimmers while guests are eating breakfast outside?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Andrew E
Reviewed 12 August 2013

So we decided to take a trip up to the Berkshires and had problems finding a hotel that wasn't booked up. Then, I stumbled upon an ad for Pleasant Valley Motel in W. Stockbridge. The outside of the motel is really cute with lots of pretty hanging baskets of flowers across the entire front and a white picket fence around the covered breakfast area.

Once we were given the room and stepped inside, the disappointment began. Seems all of the rooms haven't been renovated, and we got one that wasn't. The room was clean enough. However, that was about it. The tiles on the bathroom floor were coming up, the bathtub had rust all over it because the finish was all worn off. The grout needed cleaning, and the pipe in the wall of the shower was loose. If you put on the AC, whenever the compressor turns on, the AC slows down and the lights dim really low. You can only use the microwave or fridge as there wasn't enough outlets. Mostly we were worried there would be an electrical fire.

So we thought we would take a short nap before heading out to Great Barrington to dinner. Well, the springs from the mattress attacked my back. I jumped off the bed and tried the other bed which was a tiny bit better.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep at all that night, since I was literally in pain from the mattress.

Then came continental breakfast the next morning. There was only some cornflakes, O.J. and coffee. If you don't care for that breakfast, bring your own as I did. Since I don't drink coffee, I brought my tea and I also brought my oatmeal.

We planned on using the pool, which was spotlessly clean, but the weather had other plans for us. It was pouring rain, so we headed to the Rockwell Museum early.

So my suggestion is if you plan on staying at this motel, ask for a renovated room. The place is well worth the money, and the family running it are very nice.

Phyllis from Florida

Room Tip: Make sure you get a renovated room. Motel is a few hundred feet from the highway so there's nois...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#5 of 16 in Lenox
Lantern House Motel Great Barrington
Lantern House Motel Great Barrin...
#3 of 10 in Great Barrington
Rodeway Inn Lee
Rodeway Inn Lee
#7 of 9 in Lee

Been to Pleasant Valley Motel West Stockbridge? Share your experiences!