“Great meal, very authentic”

Truc Orient Express
Price range: US$8 - US$22
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We had a fantastic meal at Truc and felt like we were having very authentic vietnamese cuisine in a pretty unexpected spot!

Highly recommend it if you're in the area. Their shops of imported vietnamese products are fun to browse also - though not a place where you'll find a bargain.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

This restaurant has the exact same name as one we used to love to go to in Hartford CT, so when we saw it during our recent stay in West Stockbridge we had to try it. Turns out it is the same family who run it as our old favorite which is now closed. What an pleasant surprise. And the food and trappings have not changed much. The one in Hartford was smaller but they both have the reserved Vietnamese décor of wall hangings and art. The big difference here is the large rambling gift shop of attractive Asian wares that is part of the same building and spreads into an attached tent.
Our waiter was friendly and attentive in the midst of a very busy Saturday night, and the food was great as always. We split an appetizer of the shrimp summer rolls and then my wife had the whole fish while I got the barbequed pork on rice noodles. Both were beautifully prepared and excellent. It was also fun for me, as I like trying different beers, to have a Vietnamese lager.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I recently visited Truc Orient Express with my sister and two nieces. The food was outstanding. The calamari salad was the best I have had. All prices were reasonable and the service was not only attentive, but done with good humor. Following dinner, we wandered through their gift shop which included some beautiful silk clothing that is hand made in Vietnam. There were also wooden serving pieces that were made of coconut wood which is very interesting. I would return to this restaurant again to share with my husband!

Reviewed 13 July 2012

We have dined at Truc Orient Express since it opened, 34 years ago. As other reviewers said, it is owned by the same family, and Tri, the owner, takes great pride in her food and heritage. The food: fantastic. So fresh, tasty, subtle and unusual. Portions are ample, and even though the sauces are light, we left totally satisfied and full. We began with a different take on calamari; Spice Squid Salad. The squid was crispy and the tamarind sauce, refreshing. Our other appetizer, Shrimp Summer Rolls, were chock full of mint, coriander and large shrimp (plus noodles etc) and the bean sauce was rich and tasty. We split a Happy Pancake, choosing the shrimp and chicken fill, and have not found its equal anywhere else. We ended with a lemon mousse and flan, both of which were again, light and not overly sweet.
All this food, plus a glass of wine, came at a very reasonable cost-less than many of the pricey restaurants in the area.
We love Orient Express. We visit the Berkshires often-not our home- and whenever I see a Vietnamese restaurant elsewhere, I constantly compare it to this one in West Stockbridge. No other Vietnamese restaurant has ever born up! Orient Express is my standard bearer of Vietnamese food anywhere.

1  Thank chippie
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I have been stopping at Truc's for over a decade. It has provided an invariably enjoyable dining experience. The staff is consistently friendly and attentive. The food is reliably tasty. I never had a bad dish there. The prices are probably the most affordable in the area.