“Great discovery in this tiny town”
Review of Rouge

Rouge
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Contemporary French cuisine using local ingredients, serving the local community as well as second home owners and visitors to our region consistently for the past sixteen years. Voted "Best of the Berkshires 2016". We offer two menus, a more formal menu in the dining room areas, and a bar/ tapas menu in the Bistro room and bar. We offer later hours on the weekend throughout the summer season, and to go meals.
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The oysters were fresh, ribs amazing and the soup was traditional carrot with ginger. The main dining room menu is different from the bar and felt they should of allowed a bit of flexibility to order from both. The mussels were recommended by a B&B but they wouldn't serve them given our table was in the dining room - a mere 10 feet from the bar. Regardless, it was a pleasant surprise and would return if I find myself in West Stockbridge.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We have been to Rouge several times and this time we were celebrating our anniversary. Even though we did not have reservations, we still got a table right away (it was a late dinner seating). The ambiance is festive with string lights strung all over. We both ordered the New York Strip with spinach and mashed potatoes - so good! We went ahead and ordered dessert and my husband got the banana tart and I got a chocolate special. Even though the description sounded really good, we were less than impressed with the dessert. The banana tart was just a big chunk of banana with pastry dough around it - just didn't look very elegant and was not a blend of flavors. My chocolate cake didn't have a nice balance - too thick and dense. The waitress was nice and took one dessert off the bill. We have also noticed that there is a musty smell in some of the dining rooms and though I asked for a candle to help mask the smell, they couldn't give me an open flame. I will go back again to order dinner, but will skip dessert.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

My wife and I went for dinner and just ordered a selection of Tapas. We were very impressed with the size of the portions, the flavors were wonderful. Tiger shrimp; beef Stroganoff, potatoes with chorizo, mussels... all different, all delicious. Tapas only available on their bar menu, and served in their bar area, but it was pleasant enough. Service was excellent. Wines were reasonable by the glass. Tapas is a great way to get lots of tastes and flavors without overeating and at a reasonable price. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

We had a fantastic dinner at Rouge - everything we ordered was really, really delicious. It is a little on the pricier end for the area, and there are some quirks to the space (some rooms are warmer or noisier than others) but once we started eating we were impressed. I would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Hailing from the DC area, each time we are in the Berkshires we make our way to Rouge, the dining treasure of West Stockbridge. I have even eaten 3 of my last 4 anniversary dinners there and enjoyed every one of them. The vibe is energetic. Patrons range from locals, to concert goers, to seasonal residents, to Massachusetts' Who's Who. The servers are young, attentive, and eager to please - they are dedicated to the restaurant, as it's more of a family than just a workplace. The owners are French Chef William Merelle and his wife Maggie. Maggie is welcoming, gracious, and a hoot!

The menu is just as lively with multiple options to suit every palate. Depending on what you're in the mood for, one can eat at the bar or the tapas area (where you can order from either the tapas or dinner menu) or the dining room (dinner menu only). The food served is of the highest quality from ingredients to preparation.Their "standard" menu is anything but with salads bursting with citrus, pine nuts, and crispy duck skin...YUM; appetizers such as escargot (succulent) with polenta (hot and crispy), garlic, greens, and pepper ( a personal favorite of mine);and entrees such as free-range duck (moist) with a balsamic vanilla sauce on top, served with a delicious latke that helps soak up every drop of that sauce - to die for! Fun, creative specials add to the experience.
The desserts we've enjoyed are warm caramelized bananas, a chocolate delight with sea salt and a literal pot of rich buttery caramel. On special occasions, dessert is served in a manner to behold.

Not a cheap meal...but you get what you pay for. Well worth every penny!

Tip: Their website has delectable recipes! Keep an eye out for thematic wine tasting dinners and cooking classes.

2  Thank BlessedFour