“Overall Okay”

Hostelling International - Martha's Vineyard
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I went to Martha's Vineyard with my girl scout troop. We had a great time it was supper clean and the food was tolerable. The staff was a bit too friendly but we didn't think about it. We were fine until three of the girls fell sick. As we soon found out they don wash the blankets after each tendent and those three girls had each had a contaminated blanket. Now two of those three are missing out on major graduation activities. I'm not saying its not a cheap and easy place to star but just be sure the blankets are clean...

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Eaz88

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Brilliant owners here, they made me feel so welcome, I had a friend who had stayed there a couple of weeks before me and they remembered her, and the fact that she'd been on a tour, it's the little things like that which really make a place! The dorm room was lovely, just a few beds in each, the bathrooms had everything you needed them to have, the kitchen was well equipped which made making dinner easy, and the pancakes and coffee at breakfast were brilliant! The island bus stops right outside the hostel (so long as you tell the driver you're getting off there) and if you have to swap buses to get to the hostel, let the driver of the 1st bus know you're going to the hostel and they will radio to your connecting bus and let them know to wait for you at the interchange point. (in fact, any time you have to swap buses, let the driver know and they radio through).

The hostel have some good booked on MV behind the reception desk, I spotted one with some suggested walking routes for each of the towns, I asked if I could borrow it for my 1st evening to get some ideas and the girl said I could take it out for the day - brilliant!

Room Tip: The ladies bathroom was upstairs and some female dorms are downstairs, ask for an upstairs room if y...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Caroline K
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Our son wanted us to stay at the Hostel on Martha's Vineyard. It was a very interesting and a lot of nice people. A breakfast was provided, which we didn't expect. We had a fun time at breakfast with the diverse people from different countries. We were just there for 24 hours so we didn't have a chance to check out everything.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I've been to a lot of hostels and this is one of my new favorites. The location is secluded and beautiful; a great place to just get away from it all! The owners/staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and made the hostel feel homey. The daily breakfast was one of the better ones I've had at a hostel. The room I stayed in was dorm-style and had around 10 bunk beds, but it was clean and not crammed at all. I would highly recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2011

This was a great place to stay - all the staff was super friendly. It is right on the bus route #6, but need to be at the bus stop early or they won't stop. The couple that run the place made sure we had everything we needed. It does include a free breakfast each day which includes pancakes made by Mike. There is coffee & tea available all day. So if you are on a budget this is a great place to stay. On the day before we left - there were about 15 teenagers from a deaf school all on the second floor and since we were the only couple on the first floor - they let my hubby use the first floor female bathroom. One funny thing was we had to wash our own dishes and I didn't know how to work the sink - foot peddles to turn on the water :)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We reserved a private rooom with a private 1/2 bath for my family of 4. GREAT! Clean, well-managed, nice, spacious property, free breakfast in the morning, outdoor and indoor showers, and right on the bike bath and a bus route. You'll pay 50% less than the budget hotels on the island, and get a much better experience. Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Kerry D
Reviewed 18 July 2011

HI - MV was a great choice of a place to stay and top notch as far as hostels are concerned. My husband and I decided to take our bikes via the ferry and spend the weekend biking around the island. From getting off the ferry and biking with bags, its about 7 miles or so, but nearly all on separate bike paths. Once you get there the hostel itself is spacious and inviting. The older staff is friendly and knowledgeable about the area and very available to help you plan your weekend in terms of best routes, taking the buses, sights to see, etc. On top of that, at least on the weekends, Saturday and Sunday you're welcomed by an included pancake breakfast with coffee and tea - nice touch! My husband and I stayed in the general dorm area, it was full, but the facilities are very clean (bathrooms included) and there are no complaints. There was no A/C when we were there, but the weather was manageable. I'd highly recommend staying here - where else can you stay on MV for $75 for two people with included breakfast? Probably no where else.

Room Tip: Book early and note that they do charge a $3 per person charge if you're not an HI member.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
#3 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Treehouse Lodge
Treehouse Lodge
#2 of 2 in Woods Hole

Been to Hostelling International - Martha's Vineyard? Share your experiences!