“Wonderful Hostel for Groups or Single Travelers!”

Hostelling International - Martha's Vineyard
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Just returned with my Girl Scout troop to the MV Hostel. It was perfect for our trip. Clean rooms, wonderful hosts (Donnie and Mike), great breakfast included, and we had good weather to boot! We've been to the Nantucket hostel and this one is much better - probably since it was designed originally to be a hostel instead of conversion from another type of structure.
If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing place to come home to after a busy day sightseeing and visiting the beach, this is it. You can't beat the prices for a place to stay on Martha's Vineyard. Like all hostels, it's shared bathrooms (but immaculate). There are separate bunk rooms for both women and men, and several 'family' rooms. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Make sure you pay attention to the bus routes and times - they are EXACTLY on time and leave to/from...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank SusanfromHollis

Reviewed 5 July 2012

This was our first time staying in a hostel & therefore I was a little apprehensive, however upon arriving, I was greeted with the biggest & warmest smile by the owner/operator there. I knew immediately our stay would be enjoyable. For nearly $35 a night, we got the comfort of peace, the tranquility of nature, the smell of fresh air, a FULL healthy breakfast, a nice comfortable bed, clean sheets, very clean bathrooms, and SO MUCH MORE! We needed directions in and out of town via the bus route and Donnie (the owner) went out of her way to assist us, and upon leaving, I lost my fone and Donnie stopped what she was doing to help me find it (successfully). It was SUCH an awesome stay and so worth the money! I will definitely choose this place to stay over spending hundreds of dollars to stay elsewhere. The only down side is it's not "in town" so you'll need to either have a car or know the bus route to get in/out of town--however it's still worth it! I will be returning!!!!!

Room Tip: You don't really choose your room; it's chosen for you but they are all pretty much the same...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I booked a place at this HI and it didn't disappoint. The beds were comfy, breakfast was tasty, the bathrooms clean and lounge was excellent.

Nice hammocks to lounge in and plan days, helpful staff that gave wonderful tips on places to sea.

A great hostel. The only thing that could be marked down is it's location. It is a bit far from the main towns but the buses were frequent so this wasn't a massive problem

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank 755herbs
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I went to Martha's Vineyard with my girl scout troop. We had a great time it was supper clean and the food was tolerable. The staff was a bit too friendly but we didn't think about it. We were fine until three of the girls fell sick. As we soon found out they don wash the blankets after each tendent and those three girls had each had a contaminated blanket. Now two of those three are missing out on major graduation activities. I'm not saying its not a cheap and easy place to star but just be sure the blankets are clean...

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Eaz88
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Brilliant owners here, they made me feel so welcome, I had a friend who had stayed there a couple of weeks before me and they remembered her, and the fact that she'd been on a tour, it's the little things like that which really make a place! The dorm room was lovely, just a few beds in each, the bathrooms had everything you needed them to have, the kitchen was well equipped which made making dinner easy, and the pancakes and coffee at breakfast were brilliant! The island bus stops right outside the hostel (so long as you tell the driver you're getting off there) and if you have to swap buses to get to the hostel, let the driver of the 1st bus know you're going to the hostel and they will radio to your connecting bus and let them know to wait for you at the interchange point. (in fact, any time you have to swap buses, let the driver know and they radio through).

The hostel have some good booked on MV behind the reception desk, I spotted one with some suggested walking routes for each of the towns, I asked if I could borrow it for my 1st evening to get some ideas and the girl said I could take it out for the day - brilliant!

Room Tip: The ladies bathroom was upstairs and some female dorms are downstairs, ask for an upstairs room if y...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Caroline K
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Our son wanted us to stay at the Hostel on Martha's Vineyard. It was a very interesting and a lot of nice people. A breakfast was provided, which we didn't expect. We had a fun time at breakfast with the diverse people from different countries. We were just there for 24 hours so we didn't have a chance to check out everything.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I've been to a lot of hostels and this is one of my new favorites. The location is secluded and beautiful; a great place to just get away from it all! The owners/staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and made the hostel feel homey. The daily breakfast was one of the better ones I've had at a hostel. The room I stayed in was dorm-style and had around 10 bunk beds, but it was clean and not crammed at all. I would highly recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Martha's Vineyard Surfside Hotel
Treehouse Lodge
Treehouse Lodge
#2 of 2 in Woods Hole

Been to Hostelling International - Martha's Vineyard? Share your experiences!