“Martha Vineyard's Best Restaurant”

State Road Restaurant
Price range: US$25 - US$55
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: State Road opened in 2009 in the agricultural town West Tisbury on the island of Martha’s Vineyard. Our interiors were designed by Michael S. Smith. Michael appointed unique American antiques throughout the restaurant and called on regional craftsman and artisans to create a warm and inviting contemporary tavern. In 2010 we planted herb, fruit and vegetable gardens on our grounds. We harvest from the gardens daily for our seasonally focused menus.
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is known as Martha Vineyard's best restaurant by people with summer homes here. The ambiance is lovely with high beamed ceilings and good acoustics. My only criticism is I prefer tablecloths to highly polished wood for hygienic reasons. We had scallops for an appetizer consisting of three large scallops romesco with local pea greens and pine nut olive relish for $18. The imaginative starters ranged from 12-19 dollars. We also ordered fish soup $12. and cauliflower fritters with gobi manchurian sauce at $14 the price for these "shares" 14-21 but unfortunately our waiter Ray though very professional otherwise forgot them so we let it go as the main course was served.The bread was consistent with the high quality of the rest of the food. The main courses of wood grilled Menemsha swordfish which was served with corn maque choux,swiss chard and restaurant raised tomato salad in a lovely and tasty presentation for $38. The wood grilled sirloin with smashed potatoes bordelaise, green beans and foie gras butter at $41. was acceptable. The price range was $21.-$41. Now the really high point the desserts -we had a peach tart with ice cream worthy of the best restaurants anywhere as was the cappucino. Be sure and make the reservations well in advance and don't forget dessert!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

What a great spot! Great atmosphere, their garden is absolutely fantastic. Food is delicious and of great quality. Also president Obama goes here, which is pretty cool. I would recommend this spot to anyone who enjoys quality food.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

This place is by far the best on the island hands down. If only have the time or money for one place to eat make sure you get to the State Road Restaurant. The food is phenomenal and the staff is friendly. Can't say enough about their swordfish it is to die for.

1  Thank Ddb2422
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Food, wine, service - all as expected!!
This restaurant was described to me as a very good place to eat, and I wasn't disappointed at all.
I can't comment on the value as I was treated to dinner but I can't believe that it is cheap.
The local produce is obviously sourced extremely well and this adds to the freshness of the taste.
Best meal that I had on the island.

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed the meal but the aloof service ruined what was to be a special dinner out for us. From the snotty hostess who chided us for being 10 min early when we walked in to the fact that our server left midway through service and didn't bother to let us know left a sour taste in our mouth as we paid the $170 bill for two. Food was good but not outstanding and I can think of about 5 other places I'd rather eat.