“Basic Motel with Odd Housekeeping Policies”
Review of Cape Point Hotel

Cape Point Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in West Yarmouth
Boston, Massachusetts
“Basic Motel with Odd Housekeeping Policies”
Reviewed 28 July 2009

A buddy & I stayed in a room with two full beds and a bathroom. The beds were fine except my blanket had rips and holes in it, which I found somewhat insulting because who would keep making a bed every day using a blanket with obvious rips and holes in it? They made our beds everyday for a week with the same linens, they wiped all surfaces and replaced our towels, but they never swept/cleaned or vacuumed any of the floors.

The worst thing was the housekeeping staff knocking on our door EVERY MORNING! Make sure to put the "Do Not Disturb" sign out while you are in the room. Someone from the housekeeping staff would knock until I answered the door - usually sometime between 9-10AM. When I answered the door they would apologize and claim that they were "allowed" to start knocking on doors at 9AM. I totally understand that the housekeeping staff want to get a head start towards getting their rooms cleaned out and turned over by check-in time. I do. I get it. I just feel that if we paid for the room for a week and checkout time is around noon, why would ANYONE be knocking on our door anytime before 12PM?? I started putting the "Do Not Disturb" sign out before we went to bed and they began to leave us alone. We then took it off the door when we left for the pool so our room would be "cleaned."

The basics:
The Cape Point Hotel has two pools, one indoor with a jacuzzi and one outdoors without a jacuzzi. The pool outdoors has a cool little bar/cafe where you can get sandwiches and frozen drinks. The music near the cafe was really loud, so we brought our stuff farther away from the counter and ate our lunch at our lounge chairs and enjoyed the music, food and sunshine from back there. The food and rinks were super yummy and it was nice to have music by the pool all day. We always got lounge chairs by the pool everyday we went, but most, if not all, the chairs were easily taken by 2PM. The outdoor pool was fine, clean and kept at a comfortable temperature. I never went in the indoor pool.

The Cape Point Hotel is amongst a long strip of hotels/motels on Route 28 in Yarmouth. You have to get back in the car and drive to everything including the beach, bars or anything on the waterfront There are two breakfast places you can easily walk to, both of which were super yummy. At night, we went to Molly's for cold beers and Red Sox games, the British Beer Company for dinner and trivia, and to Sundancers for margharitas and really fun live music.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Delaware
Reviewed 25 February 2009

We stayed for 3 days with our young daughter and her friend. We had a great time. The location is central to pretty much everything. We were able to find all the places that we had wanted to go to very easily. The staff was very helpful and nice. The pool was big and a nice treat for the kids. The hot tub was a nice treat for us grownups. We plan on going back again this coming October.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
innkeeper7, Manager at Cape Point Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2009
Thank you for taking your time to write a review. We look forward to seeing you and your family back again at the Cape Point Hotel in October.
Pembroke,mass
Reviewed 4 February 2009

My family usually stays at the Bayside resort, but this particular weekend they were having a beach bash party and it was just to crowded. We looked elsewhere, and the Cape Point had one room left so we took it. Upon arrival there was a pile of plasterers debris in the lower hallway of the stairwell and plaster foot prints all the way to our room (257). Upon opening the room door my kids started laughing, because the room smelled so bad. Being in the construction industry myself, I knew what the smell was. It was paint primer, plaster skimcoat, and fairly fresh grout. The room was clearly going through a very cheap renovation. I did not want the hassle of switching hotels so I decided to make the best of it. My wife and 2 daughters (15,13) and I got dressed and went to the pool. On the way to the pool I stopped at the front desk and spoke with Nicole about the room really not being ready to rent, and the fact I needed pillows (there were only 2 in the room). Afer staying at the pool for awhile (The hot tub was a feeding ground for disease) looked like the pool water in the movie Vacation with Chevy Chase ( Green and foamy). We went back to the room. I noticed there was only 1 bath towel and nowhere to hang them. The Maid just left it on the toilet tank. There were no towel bars due to the wall tile was just installed ( poorly installed) and the grout film hadnt even been wiped off. So I went back down to the front desk to get some room towels. Now I was getting upset. The more I saw of the room the more disgusted we were all getting. The last straw was when I pulled the covers down and saw hairs on my sheets that could not of been mine, due to the fact I havent slept in them. I pulled the sheets off both beds and found cigarrette burns in the mattresses my wife called the front desk to see if we could get our sheets changed. There was no one on staff to do it, so my wife went down and picked up sheets at 9:30 pm and changed them herself. After this, one of my daughters open the dresser and all of the draws fell of the runners. That was it. I went back to front desk and they said I could leave, or give me half price for the night and switch my room in the AM. At this point it was to late to pack up and leave. We all slept in our clothes, affraid of what might get on our body from the beds. The women on the evening shift ( p to 10pm or so) were very reasonable. In the morning we decided to just pay the half price room rate and get out of there. The women at the desk upon my wife checking out, was very rude. Insinuating there was nothing wrong with the room, and we were some kind of scum bags just looking for a free night stay. She actually said the room was recently inspected by staff and there were no issues. Its because of the rude take no responsibilty attitude of the morning front desk staff that I wrote review. How dare she accuse us of being scammers. This room was never cleaned, filthy, and had no right to rent it to a family of DOGS, nevermind humans. You should be ashamed Cape Point.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank jkpenn
innkeeper7, General Manager at Cape Point Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2009
Maintenance and housekeeping issues can be a challenge during a renovation. The renovation is complete and was done by skilled subcontractors. It is always unfortunate when a guest is disappointed. Trying to resolve the situation, our staff offered to move the guest to a new room. This offer was declined. Also declined was a refund for the night and help in finding a room in another hotel.

Travellers are raving about these West Yarmouth hotels

Hamilton, ON.
Reviewed 1 October 2008

We just returned from a 4 nights stay at Cape Point Inn Sept 22-25/08
We were on a bus tour from Hamilton, On. We had great breakfast every morning with a very pleasant smiling staff. The rooms are quite nice and very clean. I like the fact it had a in room safe so that we could lock up our passports. Lots of stores and restaurants were with easy walk. I'm a earlier riser and there was always coffee for the early birds.

I would stay there again.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank Stevos60
North Easton Ma
Reviewed 30 August 2008

Recently stayed with my daughter and grandson. Cape Point had all the amenities we needed to make our stay a wonderful one, including indoor and outdoor pools, jacuzzi, a kiddie pool (which my grandson thoroughly enjoyed), a breakfast restaurant, super convenient location close to many attractions and restaurants. The hotel is very clean, and my grandson especially enjoyed the fish pond on the lower level. He called the big orange fish "Nemo", and once an employee came by and gave him some food to feed the fish. He was so excited. Staff is friendly, informative and responsive .The breakfast restaurant has very good food at extremely reasonable prices and free coffee by the lobby. I've already booked a return visit in September for a family suite with my son and family. There's a game room for older kids, and mini fridge in the room, which is great when you have small children.

• Liked — Location & Amenities
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Capecodafficianado
New York City
Reviewed 1 August 2008

I stayed at the cape point with a friend this past week. It was my first time in cape cod, and we checked out from a neighboring hotel (that we had stayed in for one night). The Cape Point was much cheaper, much cleaner than the other higher starred hotels in the area, and had excellent service. The rooms were clean, a good size, and well maintained. The reception staff was warm, helpful, friendly and very attentive. The hotel is well configured, giving an open, yet cozy feel. I really liked this and highly recommend it to anyone visiting cape cod, young adults and families alike.

• Liked — Good overall value and cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank 231sunnyz
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 8 July 2008

We just got back from staying at the hotel and found the desk staff and general manager to be very helpful. They were able to solve a booking error caused by Expedia and patiently waited on hold with Expedia on our behalf in order to correct our issue. Our room was in good shape and also had a mini fridge, dvd player and a complimentary safe. The indoor pool and hot tub was very nice and relaxing. We did not use the outdoor pool but it was near our room and looked very nice as well. The interior of the hotel was set up nicely with a pond in the atrium with real fish! There was a game room and exercise room as well, although we did not use it. Parking was free and the location was great, easy access to the other towns on the cape. We also received coupons for $3 off dinner that could be used at some of the local restaurants. All in all, we had a great stay although we had also read the mixed reviews prior to our stay, we are happy to report that we didn't have any issues (other than Expedia booking us too many nights but that was Expedia's fault, not the hotel's fault) and it was a bargain for the price we paid and for the location.

• Liked — The amenities and the helpful staff
  • Disliked — No pens or paper in our guestroom
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
#2 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Mariner Motor Lodge
Mariner Motor Lodge
#10 of 20 in West Yarmouth

Been to Cape Point Hotel? Share your experiences!