“Old and uncomfortable”

Mariner Motor Lodge
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in West Yarmouth
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I’ve stayed here for two nights during a three week vacation where I made several online reservations in a course of a couple of days before hitting the road. At check-in I’ve questioned the second floor room (they don’t have elevators) and was informed “When you book through a 3rd party you’re automatically allocated in the second floor” (nice!)

The moment I entered the room I began thinking what was my criteria for this selection and I remembered that Cape Cod was a place I had to select a hotel amongst the less worse and that’s never a good thing. This is a 90’s motel that hasn’t been objet of any remodeling since it opened. How can I be so certain? In your room you get the traditional and now prehistoric 29” Zenith tube TV and that vintage push button telephone you remember so well from 80’s movies. Everything is worn out and the bathtub was not only yellow but also not very clean. The mattresses (my room had two queen beds) I’m guessing are there since opening.

Chances are the main reason people say decent things about this hotel is the pool area, as not only it’s full all the time but I also now realized there’s more pictures of the pools than the rooms in the reviews, so this is probably a good place for big families as the kids have a big pool to stay in all day long.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms around the pool as its crowded all the time and try to get a room on the gr...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 August 2014

A friend recommended we stay at The Mariner Motor Lodge in West Yarmouth. Fantastic recommendation. Close to everything. Lot's of restaurants, miniature golf, beaches, shopping, etc. The motel has both an indoor and outdoor pool. They also have a small miniature gold course. Very clean accommodations. Very nice staff.

1  Thank Lovetotravel8653
Reviewed 1 August 2014

First time staying at the Mariner July 29-31. Found the place to be very clean and staff to be friendly and couteous. We stayed in a basic room, that had a slider out to courtyard by the pool. Nice place to sit relax and have some coffee. Pools inside and out and hot tub were also clean and of good size. Mariner is also located next to many shops and restaurants. Also if you don't want to deal with RT 28 traffic you can walk to some good restaurants within a couple of minutes. Mariner is also only 1 mile from the beach.Has nice grounds and my wife and I used one of the grills and had an evening b-b-q picnic. Price is very reasonalbe for Cape Cod and I would not hesitate to return.

4  Thank StephenC274
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The Mariner Motor Lodge is the best value! Super-friendly staff, clean rooms, not 1 but 2 pools (indoor and outdoor, both heated!) a free 9-hole mini golf course, free 24 hour coffee/tea/ice and so so much more. But beyond all of that, it is the TIME and CARE the staff put into their jobs. The motel crew was always busy watering, fixing, painting etc. Just looking at the PAINT JOB on the mini-golf course and I knew these guys were serious about holding themselves to a higher standard. The motel's location is ideal. I hope they keep the rates family-affordable because we would like to return. Only minor suggestions needed for improvement: maybe the rooms are a tad dated, but I didn't drive to the cape to hole up in my room and nit-pick the decor. We too noticed Wi-Fi problems while we were there, but that is the least of my concerns. Maybe add a couple of cornhole lanes to the right of the golf course? cheap overhead (plywood and paint) to add even more value - guests could sign out bean bags for the game at the front desk. All in All a superb 2 nights! Keep up the great work!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2014

we've stayed here twice now and this hotel meets all our needs just great, rooms are clean, front desk is friendly and accommodating, location is central to just about everything. there's free coffee, an indoor pool, even a mini-golf area. families with younger children would find enough to keep the kids occupied here that they may not want to go anywhere else, although there are plenty of things to do with kids just a few blocks in either direction. from where we stayed in the back on the second floor, the Wi-Fi was pretty much unusable, I think their router can't handle the number of rooms accessing it? but you're on the cape, what are you doing staying in your room all the time? Would definitely recommend to people looking for a reasonably priced hotel that has actually been well maintained.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank markbS4359PI
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I went to Cape Cod on 7/18/2014. I chose to stay at the Mariner Motor Lodge. I have stayed there in the past and just like before it did not disappoint. It is in a great location with plenty of restaurants and shops nearby as well as some fantastic beaches. When my girlfriend and I arrived we were greeted by friendly staff at the front desk. She was able to check us in quickly and easily. The room was very clean and comfortable. I was especially impressed by the germ-free remote controls they have for their t.v.s. The outdoor swimming pool is really nice as is the miniature golf course they have on site.

I really enjoy this motel. It is very convenient and the rates are reasonable. I wouldn't stay anywhere else on the Cape.

4  Thank jt577
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I'll start off by saying that I have fond memories of staying at The Mariner Motor Lodge on family vacations. Summer trips to the Cape were common growing up. We'd stay here a few nights, spend our days by the pool, challenge each other to mini-golf and gorge ourselves on fresh seafood. The hotel is in a prime location. It's located right on Route 28 with direct access to restaurants, shopping, mini-golf, boating, fishing and beaches. Therefore, I was shocked to find the motel so dated, when I stayed for two nights with my family this July.

My room was on the ground floor with sliding doors to the lawn and outdoor pool. One of the first things I noticed when entering the building was the dim lighting in the hallways. It makes everything feel dank, like a dungeon. As I opened the door to the room, I was greeted with a noxious smell of orange cleaning solution. At first glance, the room appeared to be clean but as I continued to look around I grew more disappointed in the upkeep. The carpet was swept but there was a ring of dust along the edges of the baseboards. The furniture in the room had knicks and stains. The mini-fridge, lamps and hairdryer were disconnected so I plugged them all back in. The comforters on the beds felt stale, so I immediately pulled them off. Fortunately, the bed linens underneath felt soft and clean. I called room service to order more towels as we seemed to be missing a set. Lastly, the patio door and frame could use a power-washing, as gunky green algae was growing on the outside.

Room Tip: Ask for extra towels and pillows. Ask for a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
#7 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Cape Cod Irish Village
Cape Cod Irish Village
#2 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Mariner Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!