“save your money”

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in West Yarmouth
Dennis, Massachusetts
“save your money”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

dirty linens, dirty walls, a years worth of dead bugs in the bathroom light, Socket in Bathroom did not work, no microwave as requested, whirlpool did not work, ice machine is kept outside and totally manky. Mini fridge in room was rusted, room was only half painted, staples sticking out of wall cut my daughter, Mildew stains on some sort on blankets, to cheap to use a bottom sheet so bed never stayed made. Staff was very unprofessional, witenessed them verbally berating someone not sure if it was guests or workers at the pool in front of my kids, Was locked out of room a day early, one can only assume for finally registering complaints with management, pubilc area is littered with cigarette butts, room was suppossed to be non smoking but it was clearly used as a smoking room burn marks in furniture and all over the rubbish bin outside room...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Capecod529

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Southeastern, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 June 2011

When you go to Cape Cod off season you expect a few drawbacks so the pool being closed to us was not really a huge issue.
What did bother me was that even though the website SAYS a continental breakfast is provided with no date restrictions given there was no food.
The site and the guide at the motel both site 7 AM as the time for breakfast to start there was no availability as the office did not open until 8 AM. So what was supposed to be a nice little perk to start the day off right was not available. Do I have to mention that this added $20. per day to the cost of our stay.
There are no towel bars in the bathroom, the TV had very few channels, the lighting in the unit was poor so that there was no way to read or do my knitting.
It had been 4 or 5 years since I had been to this motel, it will be well into my next life before I return.

1 Thank jelun

Travellers are raving about these West Yarmouth hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We have been going to the Cape for over 16 years, About six years ago we discovered the American Host Motel. We have been pleased and had no horror stories to share. The motel is ideally located to many sites, restaurants, stores and activities giving you an option of driving or walking,

The staff is courteous, friendly and proficient. The rooms are clean/spacious, A/C or heat works fine, hot shower and bathroom are great, Small refrigerator in room. Free parking w/lot large enough to accommodate a boat or bus.

Each year, facility upgrades and enhancements are noted and appreciated. It demonstrates the desire of management to not only provide good services but a quality facility. Contrary to what some may think this motel is a hidden gem!!!

Enfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I'm writing this review because I tried to find reviews myself, but there weren't any that were recent, so I figured I'd help others out with a thorough review. The American Host Motel was exactly what I thought it would be. I read mixed reviews on here before booking, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but it lived up to my expectations. I was booking a last minute trip to Cape Cod over a holiday weekend and happened to stumble upon the American Host Motel as they still had rooms available within my budget. (actually, they were under my budget! $170 total for 2 nights over Memorial Day weekend!)
About the motel/room itself:
As you would expect from a budget motel, I wouldn't trust walking in bare feet or anything, but it seemed fairly clean. The carpet could have been vacuumed, but there were no bed bugs and the bathroom was very clean. Make sure to bring your own shampoo as they don't provide any! I didn't go to the pool, but there were usually people swimming in it. The continental breakfast is from 8am-10am and was cold cereal, mini muffins, juice, & milk. Nothing special, but it was nice that it was available! Check-in & check-out was a breeze. The staff seemed very friendly, though I never really needed anything from them. We didn't watch the tv except the weather in the morning, but there were about 50 channels, about the norm for a hotel tv. The bed was very soft and there was plenty of parking available. (I noticed that parking was a problem for some of the other motels next door) We had noisy neighbors (we could hear them when we were outside) but we couldn't hear them at all in our room which was great. Also, they were a smoking room and we were non-smoking and I didn't smell smoke at all.
About the location:
The location was great! It's located in West Yarmouth, but right on the border with Hyannis. The Hy-Line ferry was within walking distance as was Main St Hyannis and Hyannis harbor. Downtown Hyannis is about a mile away. You could drive, but parking is about $15/day at the places I saw. We preferred to ride our bikes and it took us 10 minutes at the most. Right across the street is mini-golf and an ice cream/burger shop. (the liquor store was also about a block away) We were able to ride our bikes & take them on the ferry with us to Martha's Vineyard and avoid the $15 parking in Hyannis as well as the cost for a bike rental at Martha's Vineyard.
Overall, I had a great experience at the American Host Motel. We didn't stay in our room very much as we were out exploring, but it served its purpose. It was your typical budget motel & I would suggest it to anyone trying to plan a trip to the Cape on a budget!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lin P
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I was so scared when I read all the previous reviews... Drugs ? Bugs ? Blood ? Quelle horreur !!! But the prices were still very attractive, and trying to go to Cape Cod on a Memorial Day we is NOT that easy. So we (3 23 years old BFF) decided to go anyway, ready to sleep in the car if it was unbearable. After 6 hours driving, we arrived at the Motel.
Well, believe it or not, it was really nice. The staff was really friendly (make sure to discuss with him about the French President and wife...) the room was spacious, w/ 3 double-beds. Bathroom was OK .We did not found any bugs or dust, and we had hot water. We did not stay for the breakfast in the morning and I think this would be the only thing to avoid... But still, it was perfect for a 3-nights trip in Cape Cod !
So people, before you scare the h*** out of other tourists with your terrifying reviews please understand that you're not going to get a 5 stars bedroom w/ a 1 star price.

Room Tip: #155 was the one !!!
1 Thank amonkeynamedRobert
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I was there for the memorial day week end with 2 friends of mine. We had booked the room before we read the previews. We really were wondering what the room would look like given the horrific previews we had read (beds with bugs, sheets with urine and blood, unfriendly staff walking around carrying an axe, etc).
I have seen none of these things. We got room #155. The (spacious) room was OK, and so was the staff. In a word we got good value for money. Alright, they could provide shampoo and have lamps that work. But this is a cheap hotel and given the previews I could read, I feel as if some people were expecting a 4-star hotel service in this road motel. let's be serious!
I just can tell you about our experience, which was definitely OK. And thanks to the horror story autors, It just add some more fun to our trip.

1 Thank AHepburnInMyCupboard
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 May 2011

This motel needs alot of improvements like updating the rooms and furniture. The bathrooms were recently renovated but poor craftsmanship. The beds and mattresss needs to updated. The indoor pool is not heated and its smells like mold and mildew. I personally feel this motel is
overpriced for a one star motel. The only that this motel has going for it's pet friendly. You can find better at the Cape.

• Stayed May 2011
#3 of 22 in Hyannis
Heritage House Hotel
Heritage House Hotel
#17 of 22 in Hyannis

Been to Days Inn West Yarmouth/Hyannis Cape Cod Area? Share your experiences!