“Okay stay.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bayside Resort Hotel

Bayside Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in West Yarmouth
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

We settled on Bayside as our place to stay based on their website and location. While the location in relation to it's position on the Cape isn't bad, the website made the hotel more attractive than it actually is. The rooms are typical, but the beds are uncomfortable. The pools are so over-chlorinated that it burns your eyes just being near them. While the view on the private "beach" overlooking a salt marsh appears beautiful on the website, it usually doesn't look that way. The pictures were taken at high tide, so for most of the day, you're looking at mud. The gas firepit is a nice touch though. They light it at night and it's nice to sit around it and chat with other hotel guests. The WiFi is absolutely terrible...to the point that it's almost useless. The signal is strong, but you can't get on 90% of websites you try to access. In fact, I am at the hotel right now and I have to use my cellphone to write this review, because I can't get on the Tripadvisor site with my PC.
Overall, the hotel is average. The staff is pleasant and helpful, but that's not reason enough to want to return here. Maybe I seem a little harsh. It's just that I expected better...

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank bsslegel
Corby_Schilling, Manager at Bayside Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Bsselegel,

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with our pool and WiFi. The Board of Health requires we keep our chlorine levels between 3-5ppm for water safety. Our Certified Pool Operators test the water 4 times per day to ensure we maintain safe levels. Many people are very sensitive to chlorine. We suggest you Google how persons with sensitive skin can enjoy public pools using chlorine.

We apologize for any issues you had with our free wifi by Liveport. Apparently there were some firmware issues that needed to be addressed after an apple update.
Glastonbury, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Let me start by saying this place was OK at best. I stayed for 2 nights. First I will go over the Pro's. There are only a few. This place is centrally located to everything on the Cape. It has 2 pools. An indoor and an outdoor, hot tub and sauna. They also include a continental breakfast for you. Waffles are included and are the only solid item, unless toast, cereal, fruit, hard boiled eggs or yogurt do it for you. Good idea to get to breakfast between 7-8:30 am. Anything after that and it starts to get too crowded. The room and bathroom were pretty clean and the bed/pillows were OK. The squeaky mattress protector underneath was kind of annoying. And the staff seemed friendly. That's where the Pro's ended though.

Now with the Con's. My fire alarm went off at 7:15 am one morning. When I went downstairs to try and inquire about it, the girl at the front desk said she did not know anything about it and looked at me as if I was crazy. I don't know about you, but I want to know if there's a fire in the place I'm staying at and if the hotel staff doesn't even know when there is one or when smoke detectors go off, I don't know how the people staying in the facility will ever find out. I don't know how they're not all inter-connected. It's pretty unnerving waking up to a blaring fire alarm first thing in the morning and trying to collect yourself and your possessions. I am also pretty sure that you're not supposed to have 4 things crammed into a wall outlet all at once and one of them being the refrigerator, as it was in my room. I am pretty confident the Fire Marshall for the Town of Yarmouth would have a problem with the 2 issues I mentioned above. The refrigerator also froze all my items in it the first night. Make sure the temperature is turned halfway or less. The walls are pretty thin. You constantly hear people talking and shutting doors. If you eat outside which I wouldn't recommend, stay away from the beach area. I ate in the patio area right off the sandy part and some type of real small flea type bug kept biting the heck out of me. I guess if you want to put on bug spray you might be alright. At the top of the stairs where I was staying (Room 201), there was a fishy/something died odor that would come and go. Pretty gross. And the stairway and the hallways didn't seem like there was any type of A/C because as soon as you step out of your room it was like a sauna. TV's are small with no HDTV. I believe they get about 50 stations but no premium ones included (HBO, Showtime, etc.). If you have kids and want to go on the internet after they go to sleep because you can't watch TV, you can forget it. Their internet connection is terrible at all hours of the day and night. It will show a good signal and then nothing. They need more bandwith. If you go swimming, don't leave your towels anywhere. They will charge you for them. You have to swap them out every time for dry ones at the desk. You can't even leave them in your room for housekeeping to swap them. It's a pain and an inconvenience in my opinion. Road noise in the front of the resort is loud at all hours. If you don't wear ear plugs and are a light sleeper this will keep you up at night. When I asked about it, I was told nobody has ever complained before which I find hard to believe. I would ask for a room in the back of the facility. I would also find the lowest price online and tell them how much and where. They will match it as they did with me. FYI- They also charge you the full amount when you check in.

Lastly, when I was checking out, I gave the girl at the front desk my access cards to get in and that was it. She told me they were gonna look into the fire alarm "thing". She never gave me anything to sign and most importantly, she never asked me how my stay was or to come again. Which to me, is one of the most important things you can do working as the concierge/customer service representative. I have stayed at places all over the U.S. and I have never stayed anywhere where they didn't ask me how my stay was. When I tried telling her there were other issues as well, she just brushed me off and said goodbye. She never tried getting the Manager or asked what the issues were. I was disappointed and surprised. If I wasn't in such a hurry I would have made my observations known to management but I needed to get back on the road. So if you need a place to stay in a pinch go for it, otherwise if you have other options I would go with them.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the back for more peace and quiet. All the rooms in the front that face the road are...
Green Features: None that I saw. I didn't see anything related to even recycling.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank REDSOXFAN419
Corby_Schilling, Front Office Manager at Bayside Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for your comments.

Please feel confident that your room and the hotel are protected by a fire alarm system that is inspected annually and monitored by an alarm company.. Like all hotels, each room is equipped with a hardwired heat sensor and smoke detector. Guestroom smoke detectors are not configured to alarm the entire property.

We apologize for any issues you had with our free WiFi by Liveport. Apparently there were some firmware issues that needed to be addressed after an apple update.
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I am torn on whether to give this a 2 or 3 star review........

The pros

Good location, short drive into Hyannis.
I imagine it's good for kids with indoor and outdoor pools
Relatively affordable rates
Free wi-fi (although often slow and intermittent)
Breakfast included
Nice beach area facing the salt marsh to sit and relax

The cons

The rooms are on par with a Super 8, very dated
Breakfast on par with a Super 8
It's really really unbelievably noisy, the first room we got literally had an inch and a half gap under the door so you shared your room with everyone passing in the corridor which included drunken wedding parties singing "god bless America" in the early hours of the morning, kids using the corridor as a racetrack and guests partying in their rooms. To survive we had to jam two towels under the door (yes it took two beach towels to plug the gap) and turn on the (very loud) AC unit to drown out the noise.

I'm only giving this a 3 star based on the very helpful staff who moved us to a quieter part of the building.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor
Green Features: I didn't see any such practices. I agree with previous comments regarding the unsustainable breakfast utensils.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank blindlemonpie
Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with guest noise and WiFi.

Our hardest job is to handle guests that have no consideration for others. Sometimes the most polite guests become very different people after a few cocktails.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed here for one night as part of a road trip, we got in quite late and left fairly early in the morning. The room was nice and clean, and what we saw of the beach / swimming pool they seems nice too, we just didn't have the time to use them. The breakfast was buffet style with a few waffle makers.

Green Features: Everything at breakfast was on plastic.. cups/ plates. I know it's quicker to clean up as everything gets binned.. but it did seem a little wasteful.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed here over Spring Break in April with our 2.5 year old daughter. Upon arrival our room was ready and very clean. Staff was very friendly. Because it was Easter break they had family activities planned everyday. The first night there was a bonfire overlooking the cove with roasted marshmallows which was great my daughter loved it. The continental breakfast had a wide variety of choices from hard boiled eggs to yogurt, cereal, bagels, English muffins etc. and of course everyone's favorite the waffle maker and they actually had 3 of them so there was never a long wait to make one like some other places I've been. Every morning at breakfast they also had different characters that you could take pictures with free. The first day was Sponge Bob the second day was Elmo (which made my daughters eyes light up brighter than I've ever seen) and the third day was the Easter Bunny since it was Easter. This was a very pleasant unexpected surprise. The indoor pool was wonderful and very warm no need for acclimation even for my wife which is unheard of. That is where we spent most of our time. There is also saunas in the men and woman bath rooms as well as a large Jacuzzi in the pool area. We had a great time and I think we found our Easter Getaway spot. Whats great about this time of year is that the weather is nice enough to be outside and all of the local attractions are open but without the normal summer time traffic. This place is a GEM!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Cape Codder Resort & Spa
Green Harbor on the Ocean
Green Harbor on the Ocean
#3 of 20 in West Yarmouth

Been to Bayside Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!