“A very enjoyable and comfortable resort”

The Cove at Yarmouth
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in West Yarmouth
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We had a great stay at The Cove in Yarmouth--very comfortable and spacious accommodations with just about everything you could possibly need. The location of the resort is fantastic--close to Hyannis and not too far of a jaunt to Dennis, Chatham & Harwich Port (with beaches galore). We stayed in a recently renovated two floor townhouse that had the bedroom upstairs and two full bathrooms (one on each floor). Now THAT'S the sign of a true vacation when you don't have to share a bathroom with your spouse! Although the rooms do not have full kitchens (only a small refrigerator, sink, dishes/utensils & a coffee maker), we were able to have breakfast in the condo often which was a definite plus. The room was immaculate upon check-in, and although there was no maid service during our stay, we were able to get clean linens whenever we needed them. The only critique we have was the condition of the fitness center, as it is in dire need of new equipment and renovation. The weights border on rusty, and the cardio machines are at least 10-15 years old. The 80's bubble font of the word "AEROBICS" on the wall proves just how long it's been since anything has been done to the room. It's almost as though the ghost of Jane Fonda in a striped body suit and headband was floating around in our midst! The restaurant was just okay, but by no means bad: fine for the basics if you just want to stay on site and not have to drive. Overall, we were thrilled with our time at The Cove and we'd definitely recommend it to our friends. Just make sure you get a renovated condo and you'll be all set.

Lastly, some great restaurants to suggest: Vining's Bistro in Chatham, Scargo Cafe in Dennis & Cape Sea Grille in Harwich Port (the summer veggie stew is to die for). Oh, and be sure to go whale watching in Provincetown if you can. P-Town is so much fun to walk around, shop and have a meal. We had a great time...WE LOVE THE CAPE!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jpug2002

Reviewed 11 July 2009

We stayed at The Cove through our RCI exchange. It generally takes me several days to research accommodations before I can feel only 30% skeptical. I did not have great expectations about The Cove because I read that they were undergoing renovations, so I was concerned that we would have a room that had not been upgraded.

When we arrived, the check in process was easy (we informed them that we would arrive 1 day late). I found the front desk staff to be very friendly. Our room was impeccable! Very clean, aesthetically decorated and comfortable. Smoking is not permitted inside the rooms. We had a waterview townhouse. Although there wasn't a full view of the water due to the blocking trees, the view was still pleasant and the location was serene. We could watch ducks and geese from our balcony.

There are no elevators and the stairs could be a problem. We had two 14 y/o boys with us, so carrying our luggage was not so cumbersome. The amenities of the resort are ok. The indoor pool was probably the cleanest I've seen. It was spacious and well-maintained. I am generally repulsed by most indoor pools. The outdoor pool was very nice. The recreation center offers sufficient activities (arcade, tennis, racquetball, basketball, and planned social activities); however, the facility is in need of an upgrade.

I left my cell phone home and thought I'd be lost without internet. For $25, we rented a modem which was of adequate speed. We came prepared for stormy days with family board games, DVDs allowed the boys to bring the XBox 360. The were able to set it up quickly to the wall mounted flat screen tv b/c the jacks were in front. The TVs come with built-in DVD players. We brought our own movies, but you can rent current movies from a kiosk in the main building (it looked pricey $6.00 ish). My husband and I shared the loft upstairs. I loved not having to share a bathroom with the boys. We had 2 nice, clean and modern bathrooms. Our bed was smaller than what we are used to. It may have been queen size, but it was very comfortable. The duvet was nice (I absolutely wont stay in a hotel with one of those horrible floral bedspreads).

The location of the resort is very convenient to many attractions. While the resort appeared to be full (judging from the parking lot and some difficulty finding a space on a rainy night); however, it never felt crowded or congested.

The health facilities were well-maintained. I didn't care for having to go to the main building to exchange towels, but the directory does say that you can call after 12noon if you want to exchange towel-for-towel. I opted to walk over with a bag of towels. The process is hassle-free. Depending on the number of guests, you may need to bring extra linen. We brought an air-mattress for one of the boys (teen boys don't like to sleep together - one at the foot and one at the head of the bed). We realized later that we could have requested a folding bed (perhaps for a small cost).

The menu at the Bistro contained variety; something for everyone. Unfortunately, the restaurant did not look very inviting. The chairs were dirty. The restaurant should be next on the list for an upgrade. We only ate there once for dinner. Prices were comparable to any other place we had dined. The portions were huge. No need for appetizers. If you order delivery from an outside restaurant, they will likely have you walk to the main building to get it. You need a room card to gain access to the building as well as most of the resort facilities. Caution: Your cell phone WILL deactivate your key card if you keep them together.

Although this is not our home time-share resort, I was very pleased with how modern and clean The Cove was and wanted to do my part to keep the place clean. I asked three people where I could find the recycling bin. None of them spoke English. A fourth person in his best, but broken English was able to direct me. On the day of check out (we left 2 days early), the 2 different housekeepers told me to just leave it by the door. Remember, they only give you start-up items (trash bags, dish detergent, toilet paper), so remember to bring your own items. We asked for extra trash and recycling bags and the housekeeping staff was only happy to offer us anything we needed. There are also ice and vending machines on each floor.

Be aware, you will receive a phone call inviting you to hear a time-share upgrade/sales pitch. It only took 3 polite "No's" for them to get the message.

Upon arrival we were invited to a presentation to help you plan your stay on the Cape. My husband attended while I unpacked. He said that it was very dull and rushed b/c the presenter had a class to teach. While he was at the presentation, I watched "Things to Do" on the resort's access channel. Each day, there are a variety of planned activities (although the Name the Flag Contest at the indoor pool never happened and our boys felt very confident they'd win). Initially, they were too cool to go to the Teen Social, but later in the week, they couldn't wait to go to the rec center. We picked up every brochure possible. I grew up going to the Cape every summer, but had not been in 10 years and never stayed in the same place twice. This time, we did not stay the full 7 nights b/c of other travel plans, but during our stay, we had a blast! We went Parasailing in Dennis, rode the Banana Boat at the Blue Water Hotel and beach ($25 pp for 20 minutes, but the operator give our boys an extra 10 minutes. They missed the first ride with another family, so they rode alone and dared the operator to make them fall--they held on for dear life) I highly recommend that beach. There were lots of large families there. Alcohol is permitted (but so is smoking). There is a snack bar and drink orders delivered to you on the beach. Free chairs are available. Jetskis are $100/hour. We were not charged for parking, but we overheard someone to say that parking is $15. The attendant never said anything to us. For breakfast, we loved the Pancake Man for breakfast and The Creamery for ice-cream. We caught a movie at Regal 12 where this is a mall only a few miles away from the resort. About a block away from the resort, there is a buffet restaurant. The lunch special is $6.95 all you can eat. We ate there 2-3 times (I only had water one of the 3 times b/c it wasn't my favorite spot, but offered something for everyone). We didn't have the best dining experiences b/c we had picky eaters and 1 w/ a seafood allergy with us, but next time we'll return w/out the boys and enjoy some of the finer restaurants on the water that appealed to us in brochures. We visited the big Candy Store and let the boys expend their sugar energy on trampolines at "Jump on Us" which is also within walking distance from The Cove ($4.95 for 10 minutes, but the nice lady gave them 20 minutes each time). Bass River Adventure Park also offered something for everyone and we did it all: batting and soccer cages; golf driving range (medium bucket of balls $13); Go-Kart Racing (remember to wear closed toe shoes and must be a certain height); and mini boat steering/bumping. Miniature golf appeared to be a hit everyday for other travellers. Next time, we'll check out the museums, historical sites and the Potato Chip Factory.

Check out was as easy as the check-in process. We took great care to leave the room in very good order, but noticed others had not been as considerate. Mid-week maid service is available for a cost, but we opted to clean up after ourselves each day. There was one time that I saw a bug that resembled a cockroach. I killed it. Then I saw another in another location. They were both fast, stubborn and hard to kill, but I didn't see any more after that. They were NOT cockroaches--more like beatles.

On one occasion, we returned to our room to hear the fire alarm sounding periodically. Our hall neighbors complained that they were hearing it ALL day, but they didn't call to inquire. When we called, they explained that they were testing the alarms and instantly it ceased.

All-in-all, we had a great time and found the resort to be one that we would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank mszena
Reviewed 2 July 2009

I'm conflicted how to rate the Cove. There are things that I really like about it and there are little things that bugged me. I guess I'll start with the positive.

POSITIVE: The location is great. While staying at the Cove, we had commitments near Boston so we didn't want to stay really far on the cape. So this worked out perfect. It took a little over an hour to get to most of the southern Boston suburbs.

The amount of activities is great. As everyone here has mentioned, there is both an outdoor and indoor pool. The indoor pool is better than most pools with lots of lounging areas plus a hot tub. Plus the activity building has indoor tennis, racquetball, arcade games, board games, and more.

I liked the townhouse layout too. We stayed by using RCI Points, so I guess that got us a townhouse. Not sure if that's better or worse than the suites, but I liked having a separate living area and bedroom. Plus two bathrooms were nice.

NEGATIVE: My biggest negative was that I was forced to move rooms during my stay. I was not informed of this until I arrived at the resort. I still don't know why I needed to move rooms, but I guess it has to do with most people stay Sunday to Sunday and we were only there five days. We traveled with a toddler, so it was a pain to pack everything up, move down the hall, unpack, and then proceed with our vacation. In my opinion you shouldn't advertise as a daily resort unless you actually are. So if you are staying anything other than Sun-Sun, I'd call and see if they will make you switch rooms.

My other big negative is they really nickel and dime you here. Be prepared to pay extra for everything that they can think of to charge you. Need Internet? $25 per week. Need a crib? That's $30. Tennis racket to play tennis? $2 per day per racket. Etc, etc. I know they aren't high fees. But at the same time, I expect things like these to be included with the cost of staying. My local Motel 6 gives free Internet and a free crib. Why can't my expensive vacation resort?

I would list the decorating of the room as being a negative, but from reading on here it looks like they are in the process of remodeling them. Unfortunately mine wasn't one of the new ones, but it still wasn't bad. A little out dated, but not bad.

So basically if I didn't have to move in the middle of my stay and if they didn't charge for every thing possible, this would be a really good place to stay. It's a nice place even with the negatives, but if they went a little further it would be one of the tops. Feel free to email me if you have any question I can answer.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank ckelley03
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Have been going to Yarmouth for many years this was the first time we stayed at the Cove. The rooms are beautiful. I love the two person shower... The indoor pool made the bad weather not a problem. We lounge around the pool and felt like we were outside. It is a must see. The flat screen TV's were great. I love that the place is centeraly located. While we were there we went to the drive in movies... in PJ's and with wine and cheese. Date night. I will be going back next year...

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gee1961
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Have just returned from a week's stay at the Cove. I can thoroughly recommend The Cove. It has an indoor and outdoor pool, tennis courts and lots of activities going on if you want to partake. We We had a townhouse which has a lounge, kitchenette, dining area, bathroom downstairs and bedroom and bathroom upstairs. It looked all newly refurbished and was extremely clean. Plenty of space, comfy furniture and bedding. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful with any queries - can't recommend highly enough.

The Cove is a great place to stay as it is central on the Cape, Hyannis is a few minutes drive away with great restaurants and nightlife. It is only about 35 miles to Provincetown at the tip of the Cape where you can go on a fantastic Whalewatching trip (we saw about 2 dozen whales!) Not too far to ferries to go to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket.

If we were going to Cape Cod again I would not hesitate to stop at The Cove.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank linda077
Reviewed 30 April 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here in January (three days) for a wedding. This hotel was fantastic!

Rooms: Large room with two bathrooms. I took the large one and made my boyfriend use the small one. Everything about the room was awesome.

Inside pool: We managed to find some time to jump in the pool. It was nice and warm. We also jumped in the hot tub... The changing room was also very spacious and impressive.

Overall: Great place and would recommend to anyone, even during the off season!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luckygir15
Reviewed 15 March 2009

Stayed here for a long weekend in September. The Cove is centrally located close to great beaches, restaurants and shops. The facilities were newly upgraded, clean and spacious. My family would definitely stay here again on a return trip to Cape Cod.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Fairfield Inn & Suites Cape Cod Hyannis
Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach
Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach
#3 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to The Cove at Yarmouth? Share your experiences!