“Just okay”
Review of Holly Tree Resort

Holly Tree Resort
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in West Yarmouth
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I made the reservation thinking I was going to be doing the weekend trip by myself, but I talked my sister into going to the Cape with me to a Maine Ghosthunter's event. (Awful). We drove down on a Friday night and arrived after 9pm. When we arrived at the motel we had to wait in the office quite a while for someone to check us in. Then, when we went to our room we were shocked to see how tiny it was. My sister took the murphy bed and I took the sofa bed (and used an air mattress that I brought with me). Good thing. My sister did not sleep well on the brick hard murphy bed. We were supposed to stay two nights, but stayed only one.

Room Tip: DON't stay in one of the efficiency rooms!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank NanaP155

Reviewed 13 July 2012

This was my second stay at Holly Tree. First time I left a couple of days early because of the Murphy bed in the studio unit. This trip I needed a room for one night. I was checking out of a timeshare and was on the Cape one extra night unexpectedly. The Holly Tree had a studio open. I figured I wouldn't get much sleep. I was pleasantly surprised with this room. It was near the pool and this Murphy bed was fine! My grandchildren loved the location. I enjoyed the pool with them. Free coffee and tea in the lobby was a nice touch. Our room was clean and front desk service very good. There's a game room on property. Some of the games didn't work, but overall the kids enjoyed it. Also a small playground outside was nice . The building next to it has basketball. We did not get to check that out. The property is undergoing some renovations but we were not bothered by it. Overall a fun and pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2012
7  Thank 2010homerun
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We recently stayed at the HollyTree and all I can say is that it was just ok.We had an efficiency room that had a full size murphy bed which was very uncomfortable.The pull out couch was just horrible and who knows when the bedding was changed.The room itself was nice and clean with housekeeping everyday if we wanted it.There are two washers and two dryers that were old and dirty and always in use.They really need more for the amount of rooms there or just go to the laundry mat.The two pools were small but adequate and the hotel is located in a great spot right on rt.28.I have to say all the staff was very nice and helpful.Just not the best place we've ever stayed that's for sure!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a "real" bed
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra P
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My wife and I are expecting our first child this summer and before my wife got to pregos we wanted to take one last vacation before our daughter came. We booked with the Holly tree well in advance and thought we were getting a great deal. The pictures looked awesome and it looked like a pace where we could spend a week and be happy. It was not. Upon checking in we told the guy at the front desk, wow dosent seem like the pictures on the net match up to what the place is, besides the pool. He said "Yea a lot of them were taken across the street at the little villas (which there are only about 6 of). We went to our room and found that it had good amounts of space but nothing at all like what was pictured on the net. We decided to stay at the Holiday Inn in falmouth Ma and then stay at a place right on the watter (the Seaside Inn). I recoment the Seaside Inn to anyone out there if there looking to be right on the beach and be affordable especially in the Shoulder season. DONT STAY at the Holly tree, Its just my opinion but take it for what its worth. Our time elsewhere was much much MUCH more enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Rob J
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Stumbled upon Holly Tree, a timeshare resort that Rents rooms. Much better option then a motel room. Has small kitchenette area fridge + cooking utensils & a table. Awesome pool for young kids + Big arcade. Staff was super helpful. I'm hesistant to post for selfish reasons, pretty well kept secret.

• Stayed: August 2011
9  Thank ICritiqueU
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed here for a week, as part of a timeshare swap during the month of August. We had a studio room which was adequate for 2 people, but I would not recommend it for 4 people. With both the murphy bed down and the sofa bed out, there was not much room. However the unit was very clean and I was surprised to have maid service every day which is not usual for a timeshare. The maids on our floor did a very good job. We had a small fridge, microwave, and 4 of everything as far as dishes and utensils were concerned. Overall the unit was adequate to our needs. My only complaint was that I found both the murphy bed and the pull out couch somewhat uncomfortable, though my husband seemed to have no problem sleeping on either of them.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Truh16
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Believe the bad reviews here. They are honest and fair. Apparently this place has been consistent through the years. It is used, as it was by us, as a timeshare week in one of those timeshare exchange programs. We got our week as a gift from relatives who couldn't use their week. This should not be available as a timeshare week, certainly not for a "studio" for four people, when it is really just a very small, cheap hotel room with a small bathroom, and after you pull down the Murphy bed (the main bed) and pull out the crappy sofa next to it, there is no floor space left. Somehow they also managed to cram into this little hotel room a small dining table, and there was a refrigerator, a small microwave, and plates and utensils for cooking (ostensibly with the microwave, as there was no other way to cook here).

Much of the rest of the hotel seemed to be designed in a similar way - that is, to cram as much as possible into an inadequate space so that they could fill up a list of amenities that would make this cheap hotel seem like a "resort," at least on paper (or on the internet...) The problem is that customers who reserve here do in fact show up, as we did, and then they learn the truth.

For example there were two racquetball courts, but one has been converted into a basketball court (and by converted, I mean simply that a net has been put up on the racquetball court. There is also a picnic area/BBQ/outdoor basketball court. Then there are two small swimming pools, also kind of crammed up next to each other, with a wall in between, as one is outdoor and the other is indoor. We never tried any of the pools, which were always chock full of families with little kids.

This whole area of Route 28 in West Yarmouth is Prole City. Nothing wrong with working class people. Not a thing. Just be aware that this is what you are getting into. I rather prefer spending time in a place with normal, working class and lower class people, but sometimes, like all people, they can be annoying, in their own way.

Wifi was available only in the lobby and a room that pretended to be a conference room, all on the main floor, but not in the rooms. There is also an old desktop with spotty internet access in the lobby (it worked half the time, and the other half it didn't and the front desk staff just shrugged their shoulders). I should say, however, that the staff seemed friendly enough and we had no problems with the service, so long as you are not too bothered by the fact that this place is a lot less than it seems, or pretends to be, in its marketing.

If you are not coming here because someone in your family was duped into buying a stupid timeshare, and then gifted you one of their stupid timeshare weeks, do not bother with this place, unless the price is under $60 per night for two. Yes, you heard me right.

Of course, there are basically no hotels available for that price. So instead pay $100 or more, in July or August, for the Cape Point Hotel, just down the road, for a much better experience. Still basically a Prole Hotel, but much better rooms, less pretense, and they have a much better outdoor pool with poolside bar/restaurant.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
#8 of 20 in West Yarmouth
Cape Cod Irish Village
Cape Cod Irish Village
#2 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Holly Tree Resort? Share your experiences!