“loved it and would stay there again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Holly Tree Resort

Holly Tree Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in West Yarmouth
Salem, Mass.
“loved it and would stay there again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2006

I found the resort and the staff to be most friendly and accommodating. I had originally booked at the Howard Johnson Inn only to arrive and find the indoor pool not working. I had my three grandchildren with me so cancelled my reservation there. On exiting a gentleman from Maine who was outside recommended the Holly Tree. The kids had very long faces thinking their quick mini vacation was going to be ruined. A quick drive down the road, availability and quick check in quickly changed them to happy faces again. The only room available was a suite (small), with a Murphy Bed and pull out couch, both full size, it was clean, a little tight for sleeping 5 but dooable. The pool area was very nice and tropical. Hot coffee and tea available 24/7 in the lobby, clean pool towels whenever needed. Pool hours 9 am until 10 pm. No lifeguard on duty so no one under 16 allowed in the pool without parental supervision. Hot tub off limits under age 16. There is a snack machine and arcade. Kids so busy in the pool never went to arcade. They also have activities for kids across from the pool throughout the day. It is close by to many nice restaurants as well as close to fast food restaurants. Room had a sink, refrig, dishes in the cabinets, toaster, table and chairs. The price was definitely good. 55.00 a night off season (this is good for school vacation week) but even better, with a two night stay there was a discount of 10%, so price went down to 49.00 a night. (My original booking with HJ Inn was 65.00 a night with broken pool. The kids had a great time as did I, would definitely book there again. Plenty of things to do in the area, zooquarium, hyannis shopping, kennedy museum and beaches to roam even if not warm enough to swim in april.

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank Moe091246

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2005

I just returned from a 2-day stay at the Holly Tree Resort with my pre-teen son. We stayed in one of their "studios". And, like another reviewer had noted, the room can be quite limited while both beds are out (a "Murphy bed" pulled out from the wall, and a sofa bed), it was more than adequate for our needs. We pulled the beds out just before we were ready to go to bed, so moving around wasn't an issue. Once the beds were folded back away in the mornings, there was more than enough room to move about in the studio setup. There was even a table and four dining chairs. While we would have liked a microwave oven, evidently fire regulations prevent any of the yarmouth hotels from offering any sort of "cooking" in the rooms. Not sure why the toaster is allowed, though it was nice to have, and saved us breakfast expenses each day. A bag of bagels, some butter, cream cheese, fresh fruit, and juice in the fridge, were plenty for our breakfast needs.

The combination kitchenette-area, dining area, and living room space were well lit, as was the bathroom. I'm a stickler for cleanliness, and was impressed with that detail. As for the towels mentioned in one of the other reviews, I found the towels to be much more plush than usual for that price range of hotels, and actually felt they added to the higher quality feel in the room. (I believe the other review was only written in June or July of 2005, so I doubt the towels have changed since then.) I also found the bedding, especially the blankets, rather plush. Even to the point where I looked at the label on them to see if I could order some for my home. The bedspread was updated, as was the fabric on the sofabed, again showing a quality that I would have expected to see in a much higher priced room.
(This is coming from someone who likes a minimum of a 200/250 thread count on all of my sheets.)

As for the common areas of the hotel (the pools, the game room, etc.), we found them to be more than adequate. The indoor pool area setup is quite nice. You can start off in a 2-2 1/2 foot deep "Kiddie pool" which was quite warm, then climb directly from there into the hot tub (which is VERY HOT), and then easily climb into the regular indoor pool without ever having to step back out onto the floor area surrounding the pools. There was also two doorways leading directly to the outdoor pool, so we pool-hopped between all of the various temperature facilitles quite easily and enjoyably. As for the pool towels mentioned in another review, they were pretty much standard from other hotels we've been in, so that didn't influence my judgement. Besides, you could get as many as you needed, so it wasn't an issue. We both just used 1 each time we swam; just enough to dry off a little before we walked down the hall to our room.

Another nice feature to the pool area was a neary ladies and mens room
with showers and changing areas. While we were checking out, another set of guests was checking in early (approx 11:20/11:30), and the front desk staff graciously told them about the changing areas and invited them to utilize the pools until their rooms were ready (and offered to have their rooms cleaned and available as soon as possible.)

While we didn't spend much time in the game room, it was spacious and had enough games to occupy anyone who'd be interested in playing a couple of video games/pinball machines.

All in all, we had a very enjoyable stay. I was on a "scouting" mission to find a good place to stay when we return in a couple of weeks for a 8-9 day stay, and will book the Holly Tree again for that visit.

For a fussy person when it comes to hotel rooms, it more than met my standards. All around, I would have expected to have paid more for what we got, and from checking around at many nearby hotels, found that for the same level quality, we would have paid a fair bit more than we did.

When we return later in August, we will book a 1-BR suite or the 1-BR luxury suite (with an in-room jacquzzi), and will still pay substantially less than comparable hotels in the area for the same ammenities.

• Stayed August 2005
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2005

We stayed in the one bedroom suite. This suite had a king size bed in the bedroom, a sleeper sofa in the livingroom. The rooms can be separated by a door, which worked well for us as we are a family of 3. This suite has 2 bathrooms and 2 doors that lead to the hallway from each room. I was able to leave the room through the bedroom for an early morning walk with out disturbing my son.

The room had a fridge, toaster and coffe maker (BYOC -coffee). The cabinets are stocked with dishes and there is a small dinette table. No cooking is allowed. Not even a microwave could be found.

The draw back for us is everything closed at 10pm, as the guest must adhere to the quiet time rule of 10 pm to 8am. So the pool, gym, arcade and sports complex where shut down. Early for a vacation spot.

The doors that lead to the hallway stopped an inch above the floor so we got a bit of another quests smoke in our room. I fixed this by placing a towel at the bottom of the door.

The staff was friendly.

Check out at this hotel is "before 11am". This hotel does not extend late check out unless the guest pays for an extra day.

This hotel is about a 5 -10min drive to the beach. Resturants are in walking distance as is a church and library.

• Stayed July 2005
18 Thank theexpert
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2005

We are staying in West Yarmouth, MA on Cape Cod. The Holly Tree Resort is ok, but nothing special. Our room is a TINY studio with a Murphy bed (pulls out of the wall). When the bed is pulled down, you can barely walk around it to get to the bathroom--it's a tight squeeze. The housekeeping staff has done a nice job, and the front desk staff are nice and helpful.

The things that are not great about the Holly Tree are the musty-smelling basement gym (the cheapest equipment ever!) and the TOWELS. The towels in the rooms look kind of old and are not particularly soft, and the towels they give you to use at the pools (indoor and outdoor) are really tiny--like a hand towel. I ask for two at a time, but I really should ask for three.

My husband and I are enjoying Cape Cod--it's our first trip, but we'd like to come back again. We find the little towns all up and down the Cape to be quite charming and picturesque. Unfortunately, the weather has been quite chilly (mid-60's during the day, high 50's at night) and our one trip to the beach ended after about an hour with neither of us having removed our sweatshirts. Apparently, June can be somewhat cold and July and August never get REALLY warm - usually in the mid 70's. So we probably should have done our homework more before picking Cape Cod in mid-June.
But it really is BEAUTIFUL!

20 Thank MommyB14

#3 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Mariner Motor Lodge
Mariner Motor Lodge
#10 of 20 in West Yarmouth

Been to Holly Tree Resort? Share your experiences!