“Nothing special”

Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in West Yarmouth
Brockton, Massachusetts
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We booked this room as a mystery hotel selection on Hotwire.com. We were planning on spending a day in P-town but could not find anything close under $300 a night. The Castle Dawn and its neighbor The Thunderbird were originally the same hotel and were sold separately. The pool was not working, the breakfast was cold "self serve" cereal and the room was nothing special. It is right on Route 28 in walking distance of some restaurants and shops but I would not stay there again. Could not get hot water for a shower but the water pressure was like a torrential downpour. Our bathroom was wet when we checked in at 8:30pm. The mattresses did appear new and we were able to sleep so I guess that about sums it up.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank CrystalN320

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Francestown, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2013

when we arrived there was no pool no breakfast and the floors were filthy.... and the owner waved his money in my face ... then when we saw the room we wanted a refund BUT the stupid non friendly owner refused to refund anything---never again will I stay at this motel...a disgrace to the cape .not my idea of a good booking.... also do not use booking dot com they suck too'

Room Tip: do not rent a room here
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these West Yarmouth hotels

Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I was skeptic when reading all of these reviews but when I showed up I was pleasantly surprised. Yes it's a motel and not amazing--- but if you want amazing go and spend $300 a night somewhere else instead of $139!! If you want to spend a weekend on the cape this was one of the most cheapest places I found and perfectly fine for my boyfriend and I. We spent all day out at the beach anyways so all I cared about was a clean comfortable bed and a place to shower and that's what we got! For those people who come on here to bash this place- i am not sure what they expected being the chrepest hotel on the cape! What did you expect the ritz Carlton? For those of you who just want a weekend away..... And you would rather spend your money on trips to the vineyard or a nice dinner..... Then this hotel (and price) will work fr you!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Clinton, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We wanted to spend just one evening at the Castle DAwn on a recent Friday - so we could continue on to Chatham on Saturday morning to our summer rental. Many motels I searched for had a 2-night minimum and prices were in the 299. Per night range. The Castle Dawn did not have the 2-night minimum tand their rate was in the $100.00 per night range. We always use Trip Advisor as a guide when booking a hotel we have never been to and many reviews cited the hotel as being clean, and for 1 evening that would be our only priority. When we opened the door to our room such an odor hit us like mildew meets bleach. My husband turned air conditioner on which helped a little. The bathroom shower had no door nor a shower curtain AND the bathroom room door would not shut. The towels provided were no better than a roll of paper towels. The place so grossed me out I slept in my clothes. We considered changing hotels but were tired from our drive so we tried to make the best of it. In the AM when we got in our car to contine our journey a look around the property in the daylight was appalling!!!! If we had driven in during in daylight hours - we would have driven right out!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The room was clean but that's all. When you are just passing, it's ok and cheap. For staying around more than a day, i would choose an other one. Why? The electrique plog don't work well so the tv, the fridge and the micro-wave where sometimes not fonctionning or had to be one at a time. The windows shows the minerals isolant on the frame around, the hotel looks old.

The good side is when its' fonctionning, there's a fridge and a micro-wave and a mini breakfast in the morning. The receptionnist was nice too and very helpful when asked for directions around.

i like traveling and i don't consider myself very difficult with the accomodations. This hotel was ok for me and my friend but would not have been with some people i know who travel with their own sheets and pelow, if you know what i mean.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Waterbury
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We booked this hotel knowing that it was on the cheaper side and maybe not the best place to stay. Not only was it not the best but its topped our worst list. We arrived at check in at 3pm and asked if we could have a king size bed versus the Double. The owner was very friendly and a pleasure to speak with and accomodated our request stating he had to fix the shower head first. We did not mind waiting and said we would go to the beach and then come back giving him an hour or so to fix the shower. We get back to the room about 1.5 hours later to find the shower head has infact been fixed. We went to get changed and head out for the night when I started to look around and noticed the microwave was on the ground, there was no refridgerator, the iron was missing and THEN I went to use the bathroom.......I opened the lid and there was clearly feces in the bowl which was one thing....I tried to flush the toilet so that I didnt have to look at it any longer and the toilet wouldnt flush! My finace checked it out and we noticed that the toilet itself wasnt hooked up to the water supply. The small pipe that usually attaches to where you turn the water on and off was gone! So we go to the front desk and ask for a room change which was interesting. At first the owner simply responded by saying "but you saw I fixed the shower head?" We arent sure if he even realized what was going on and once we got the new room is when we noticed all of the items missing from the first room we are thinking someone may have robbed the room? or damaged it out of spite? Some of the people we saw hanging around seemed to live there full time and were less than favorable. Ohh! and then the pool is also broken and it didnt appear that the owner was planning on fixing it anytime this season. The owner seems very kind and I understand it has to be a tough business but if HE was in the room fixing the shower head how didnt he realize the toilet was broken and that both the iron and refridgerator are missing and instead place a young couple into this disgusting room. Stay somewhere else, I know we will in the future!

Room Tip: I hear the Tide Water is very nice!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hsarnataro
quad cities
Reviewed 29 May 2013

When I booked the room I was concerned. Knew it was an older Cape Cod motel and the pictures reflected that status. When I arrived the new owner greeted me. He was very friendly, and concerned with the previous reviews of the resort, particularly because this was his first season as the new owner. Please note that the pictures above are of the newly remodeled rooms and they look that stunning. For a lower cost Cape Cod resort the remodeled rooms were very comfortable and pleasant to say in. This moderate cost resort is worth the price with the remodel. In addition to the new furniture, looks like new air conditioning units as well. All in all a great stay at a small motel on the Cape.

Room Tip: All rooms remodeled under new owner for his first season, so any room would be great to stay in.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple