“Service Levels Through the Roof”

Residence Inn Boston Westford
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Westford
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I travel a lot, so it takes an extraordinary experience to impress me. This local property provides service levels equivalent to top tier hotels in Asia---and that's saying something. The attention to detail, the high level of training of the housekeepers and front desk staff, and even the morning breakfast were outstanding. The front desk staff were cordial and certainly went out of their way to accommodate, even the strangest request. The housekeepers, though from Nepal, were trained in English to respond back, when you asked, "How are you today?" And the food in the morning was the best I've had at a property of this level. The fruit was all ripe, the melon very sweet, and they even served a Residence equivalent of Eggs Florentine. If you could get them, when they first came out, they were pretty good. I judge a property by their morning fruit. Is it well-trimmed; is it ripe? Kudos to the kitchen staff for passing my tests with flying colors.

But by far, the most impressive aspect of this stay was the unexpected gift they had waiting for me, one night when we returned to the room. I had met the very effective and gracious General Manager Jennifer Hogan and given her a copy of one of my books. I had also mentioned that I was named USA TODAY's First Road Warrior of the Year in April. Jen went on the USATODAY.com website and read the article about me, then went out and bought all of my favorite things from the article, including San Pellegrino sparkling water, Kind bars, rice cakes, and dried fruit. No wonder her staff has such attention to detail; she is the optimum role model. We are checking out this AM and I am sorry to leave.

I highly recommend this hotel to all who are looking for for a restful night's sleep at a hotel where you will definitely feel taken care of.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank funky_futurist
Jennifer H, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Westford, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Thank you Joyce for your wonderful review of our hotel. We take great pride in providing each guest a memorable experience. Every department from our Front Desk to Kitchen Staff to Housekeeping strive to make a positive impact on a guests stay. I will share your comments with our staff and celebrate their achievements! We look forward to accommodating you and your family again in the future!

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Have stayed here a few times over the past few years, Residence Inn is a nice hotel for business travelers. The rooms are spacious and have a kitchen for those who like to cook. They server breakfast and light dinner in the lobby. I enjoy being able to sit down in the morning with a hearty breakfast, watch the news, and get ready for a day in the office.

Have never been disappointed with the rooms or the service. Will definitely be back again soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris_Stolk

Thank you Chris for your feedback regarding your stay in August at the Residence Inn Westford, MA. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the spacious layout of your suite. We are certainly an ideal choice for the business travelers that come to Westford. Our amenities such as the daily hot breakfast buffet, the Mon-Thurs evening dinner, high speed internet, updated fitness room are all suited to the needs of the everyday business traveler and helps them thrive while on the road. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in town on business!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stay in a lot of Marriott-branded hotels for work. This stay was for a pleasure trip and while the hotel itself is a solid good hotel, I was very surprised at the lack of professionalism among the employees. The front desk is professional in dealing with customers. But the rest of the staff, kitchen staff in particular are very informal and shout to each other across rooms seemingly oblivious to the fact that the rooms are filled with guests. I have never seen this behavior in a hotel, particularly a Marriott. The behavior is just plain rude. This place needs a big dose of training and management oversight. At breakfast one morning, there was a supply cart partially blocking the entrance to the buffet area. That cart sat there with a few items on it that were apparently destined to go to a supply room, but no one of the staff moved the cart or the items and guests had to step around it. Where there is normally room for two people, there was room for only one to pass and caused minor traffic jams. I can't imagine a manager sitting still for something like this. I don't think good hotel "manners" and standards have been effectively communicated to the staff.

The above comments are not show stoppers but as a regular traveler, it was very surprising and disappointing, leaving me with a bad overall impression.

The rest of the hotel -- room, common areas, breakfast were all pretty standard. Rooms are clean and comfortable, the buffet breakfast is a pretty standard, somewhat robust free buffet that's tended very well by the noisy employees. The dining room is a very pleasant place to sit with a large screen tv that's not at peak volume so if you want to read a paper or have a conversation at breakfast, you can. Lots of kids and kid noise, but that's to be expected at a place like this and is tolerable.

The room we were in needs some attention. The kitchen sink faucet and garbage disposal are in desperate need of replacement. Not a show stopper, but it seems that no one is looking after these small details. Again, I think it's a management issue.

Bottom line, we would stay here again because the hotel is convenient, rooms are quiet and clean, the space is good and it's a decent value.

Room Tip: High floor is always a good idea. That way, you aren't disturbed by guests above. Away from the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sushihunter
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I am currently staying here - the last week of a 2 week stay and, I am completely charmed by the hotel and, the staff. The reservation was for the studio and, it is indeed as per what the website claims. What makes the stay awesome is the attitude of the staff - it is a refreshing change from what the usual is. A shout-out to Fred for making breakfast a fun place with his engaging manner with all the guests, both familiar and new. I did a late check-in and, it was without fuss and any manner of annoyance. Having settled into the room, it met with reasonable expectations. I've heard a bit of grumbling from other guests during the breakfast about the spread - I wouldn't mind much. A good solid breakfast is what makes a day nice and, they do make an effort to meet that standard.

Will I be staying here again? I hope to, if I visit Westford again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed at the Westford Residence Inn while in town for my mom's retirement party (her house was just too crowded with the rest of the family). The hotel is conveniently located right off of Rte. 495 and near many restaurants and shops (Bamboo is right next door and our go-to for Chinese food in town). Having grown up in the area, it's nice to have several options for places to stay when the couch just isn't going to cut it. This is a nice Residence Inn with friendly & helpful people at the desk. The staff at breakfast was extremely nice and were there to answer questions, but weren't underfoot. I had read in an earlier review that the mattresses were uncomfortable. We stayed in two different rooms - a 2 bedroom, then switching to a 1 bedroom - and while the 2 bedroom bed was fine, the mattress in the 1 bedroom was extremely soft and dipped in the middle. I eventually got to sleep way on the left side of the bed - I would have called the front desk, but the kids were asleep in the sofa bed and it wasn't worth it to move everyone at midnight.

I really do hate to be a complainer, :) but I have to also mention that when I took my kids to the pool to go swimming on Saturday around 8:30PM, there was some kind of substance on the pool deck, the walls and all over (it might have been someone's sandwich? maybe not though...:P ) I went to the front desk and gave Gregg the bad news and to his credit, he came and cleaned it up right away. But it made me wonder what could possibly be in the water as well and we didn't stay in the pool very long.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Laura L
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We stayed here for the time when we were between homes. We chose this hotel because of it's location as well as the fact that they allowed pets- we have a lab who was with us. We stayed in a 2br suite on the second floor. At first, we were dreading the stay. We are a family of 4 and our large dog. We were coming from a large home and were worried that we would feel too squished in the small quarters. But, in the end, we were almost sad to leave!

The room was lovely. Well maintained, clean and comfortable. The mattress left a bit to be desired. But, after the first few nights, we hardly noticed. What made this hotel so special was the staff. I could write pages and pages about the staff here. After the first morning, the breakfast staff knew all of us by name and would greet us each morning. The staff even knew what my kids liked for breakfast and were sure to have it waiting for them :) They were more friendly and helpful than most hotel staff.

The nightly dinner was also a great bonus. We didn't think that we would really take advantage of this, but it was so nice to have. The food was decent (always fresh salad, fruit and some healthy options mixed in), but again, it was the staff who far exceeded any expectations that we could have ever had.

I used to tell friends and family to stay at a different hotel in town. But, after this stay, I will never recommend any other hotel in Westford.

Room Tip: Laundry is on 2nd floor if you're staying long term
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights on a business trip. After the first day it did feel like I was at home (well, almost). The room is spacious and it is well-suited for working. A nice setup allowed me to work for a few hours after a long day. Fully-stocked kitchen makes it easy to cook (I didn't have to). The bed was very comfortable. My only complaint is that the room gets stuffy and it is difficult to control temperature. Also, refrigerator was loud enough to wake me up at night. I had to turn it off before going to bed.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. There is a small business center where you can send faxes, scan docs, etc. A tiny gym had a couple pieces of equipment and it was perfect for a morning exercise. Breakfast was much better than I had expected - a wide variety of healthy (and not so healthy) food in a spacious and comfortable dining area.

I definitely recommend this hotel for short and long-term stays.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westford
Hampton Inn & Suites Westford - Chelmsford
8 mi away
The Boxboro Regency
The Boxboro Regency
#1 of 1 in Boxborough

Been to Residence Inn Boston Westford? Share your experiences!