“easily the worst place i've ever stayed”

Rodeway Inn Westminster
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westminster
PA
“easily the worst place i've ever stayed”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed at the Rodeway Inn Westminster last night. I was traveling to the area for work and had a hard time finding a room anywhere near where I had to be early this morning. This place seemed to get pretty good reviews on here, it was cheap, and it was close. I am not picky in any way, so I went with it. Biggest. Mistake. Ever.

I don't care if my room is nice; I don't care if my bed is too firm or too soft. I simply require a safe, clean-ish place to sleep with reasonable wifi and hot water. This place had hot water. That is all.

Here's the thing--if you don't live in an area, you don't know the reputation of a certain hotel. And you find yourself sharing a wall with someone who is very clearly being paid to bang the headboard all night at regular intervals (this was not one overly amorous couple; headlights came and went all night). I had to turn the AC on high to drown out the noise; I could also hear the tv in the room on the other side, but I was actually kind of thankful for that.

Aside from...that...the carpet was damp. The wifi went in and out (and I needed it to get my perfectly legitimate work done) The light in the bathroom flickered. And everything felt greasy. And I felt like things were crawling on me all night--even before the moaning in the next room began.

When I arrived at my job site this morning and told the people I was working with--locals--where I stayed, you should have seen the look of horror in their eyes. A woman I had met seconds before offered to let me stay with her tonight instead of going back (thankfully I was moving on and did not need to take her up on it, but rest assured, I'd not have spent an additional night in that room. Had it not been super late when I arrived and had I not needed to get up super early to be at work the next morning, I would have left (even having paid) and gone somewhere else. I shudder to think what went on in that room before I slept there.

Just don't stay here. And regarding management--the man who checked me in was REALLY, really nice. So nice I feel badly writing this. But I need other people looking into this to know: stay somewhere else. I wish I had.

Room Tip: select a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank elbodans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Albany, NY
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Checked in by a very nice girl but she could not run my CC and asked if I could stop later. When I returned to the room that night, the phone rang as soon as I walked into the room. I was tired but had to go to the office and give them my CC even though I reserved the room online with the same CC.
The room smelled like smoke and they told me to leave a window open. Not good with temps in the 90's and 1 window filled with a small and very loud air-conditioning unit.
The floor sloped. The bathroom was vintage 1960's. The comforter had holes in it.Continental breakfast consisted of a dozen Dunkin Donuts.
Bed was comfy and sheets were clean. If your standards are low, it is not a terrible place if the price is low enough. Not sure it was worth the $20 I saved by not going to the Super 8.

• Stayed July 2013

Travellers are raving about these Westminster hotels

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed here 2 nights since we attended a wedding nearby. The people who run the motel are really nice. The rooms are clean and the water is hot. If you like a firm mattress, you are in luck! The pillows are kinda flat but for a mom and pop, it was fine.

• Stayed July 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Good location off RT2. Clean and comfortable, pretty quiet. We stayed in room 16. Breakfast was OK, hot coffee and pastry. Mark the manager suggested Townsend pizza, 5 minute drive, as a place to eat since we arrived around 10pm. Good suggestion, we enjoyed the pizza and there was a convenience store next door. Had Wifi and the managers, Mark and Lina were helpful and glad to have met them. Would stay again. The whole area is a maze of streets and we really used are Garmin navigation system was essential.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jason R
Williamstown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Room 29 is where I stayed While at The Rodeway Inn at Westminster,Mass.It had a few re-sealed cracks in the shower area,a burn mark on the carpet where one presumes a previous guest had dropped a hot iron ( provided by the est.),a fairly comfy,clean,king-sized bed,an old fashioned,glass front tv,and a kick-butt ac that was very welcome on that sultry,95 degree afternoon when I checked in.The Westminster Rodeway Inn sits on a hill overlooking a lovely community.It was clean,cool,comfy,quiet.......all at a terrific price....My kind of place...!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Greg S
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Stayed here in April. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The shower had good pressure and the bathrooms were nice. Perfect for what we needed. The hotel rate was very reasonable considering the quality of the room . The help at the front desk were great. They went above and beyond and I wish I remembered the one ladies name because she deserves a raise!! No complaints.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank GaryONeil
Midland, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a 3 day weekend while house hunting in the area. We chose this place for two main reasons -- price and they allow pets ($5/day extra which is the lowest I have ever paid). Yes, I know Rodeway's are on the low end of the Choice Hotel line but this place was pretty bad. The old saying, "you get what you pay for" definitely applies to this place. We stayed in a king bed room that was almost smaller than our master bedroom at home. The bed was as hard as a rock and the pillows lacked any fluff. When we crawled into bed the first night, the headboard came loose and fell down. Upon further inspection, the thing was being held up by a piece of molding. On the first morning just as we getting ready to depart for the day, I saw a nickel size black bug crawl out from behind the bed. Not exactly sure what type of bug it was, but the principal of the matter is that is extremely gross and unacceptable. Their "free breakfast" consists of coffee and a dozen Dunkin' Donuts. Mind you they only buy one dozen every morning so it's a first come, first served setup. I enjoyed them the first day, but by our last day, I was over them. My wife made a good point of what do they do in the case of one of their guests being a diabetic.The only reason I gave this place two stars over one was because of the owners. They are a middle-aged Indian couple that are very nice and friendly. I know they mean well but they really need to give the entire place a face lift.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Justin J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westminster
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Leominster
Days Inn Leominster/Fitchburg Area
Super 8 Gardner
Super 8 Gardner
#2 of 2 in Gardner

Been to Rodeway Inn Westminster? Share your experiences!