“Nothing special”

Ranked #2 of 32 Restaurants in Westport
Price range: US$8 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated on a 29-acre farm dating back to the 1920's, the restaurant provides an elegant country atmosphere and perfect setting for that special occasion celebration. The Main Floor is open for dining on Friday and Saturday evenings, subject to availability. Our cozy Fireside Tavern provides a more casual atmosphere Tuesday through Sunday, with superb monthly features and weekly specials. Join us for live musical entertainment Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings, as we bring you the area's best talent. Every first Sunday of the month, relax and enjoy the Grand Brunch Buffet from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. with live acoustic music. Choose from made-to-order omelets and waffles, salads, pasta and saute stations to poached salmon, carved meats, fresh fruit, assorted pastries and more.
boston
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Average atmosphere and food. Steak tips ordered medium rare and received well done. The sauce on the steak tips most likely came from a jar. Salmon on a plank tasted like pre frozen bagged fish. You could not taste the "woody flavor" at all. Chicken nachos were great and gluten free for those who cannot consume gluten. I say on the side of a table were a French fry and a ketchup spill were walked past by many staff members who could h e cared less to even pick it up. They rather walk over it. Food is above average prices. Good location. Good parking. Will not be back.

1 Thank sexyspeedcat
Matthew S, Marketing Manager at Bittersweet Farm Restaurant, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hi SexySpeedCat: thank you for taking time to review your recent experience at our restaurant. I am sorry you didn't experience our restaurant to the degree we work so hard to achieve. All of our food is prepared fresh and cooked to order and I will pass your judgements on to the manager and chef for consideration. I will send you a private message with the personal phone number of senior management, please call them so we can discuss your experience in more detail.

Westport, Massachusetts
“Not as good as it use to be”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I would have given this place 5 stars 3 years ago, but lately I've eaten in the tavern and the service is almost poor. On more than 1 trip, we had to wait at least 15-30 min before a waitress came to our table. The tables are close together, and many would walk right by us without even acknowledging that we had been sitting with our menus for awhile. Most of the time we had to get someone's attention to get service, and the comment usually is "I saw you sitting there and wondered why no one waited on you." or " We saw you but no one was assigned to your table." Pretty poor as far as I'm concerned. The food quality has also gone down, just being ok for the price you pay. I think it will be a long time before I go back.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank pickymom71
Matthew S, Marketing Manager at Bittersweet Farm Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Bittersweet Farm. The comments regarding your experience are very important to us. We want guests to enjoy dining here, so your report of an unsatisfactory experience is of serious concern.

First, let us express our sincerest apologies. You deserve only the best service, especially at Bittersweet Farm. Please allow us to assure you that we have met with our staff about the importance of ensuring quality customer satisfaction to every guest, every time. We will commit to providing our staff with special training within the next few weeks, so that everyone will be better prepared to serve all of our customers.

We have met with the head chef in regards to the quality of our food. We take pride in serving delicious meals by using only the freshest, local products. He is aware of your comments and will strive to ensure better quality in the preparation.

We appreciate you making us aware of this particular situation. Without feedback, (whether it is positive or negative) we will never know where our attributes lie.
Westport, Massachusetts, United States
“Great place for a drink and live music on Thursday night”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The food is just not good. Great for drinks, and maybe an appetizer - beautiful environment - cozy downstairs tavern - never ate in the dining room but it's my understanding their signature dish is roast lamb.

• Visited November 2013
Matthew S, Marketing Manager at Bittersweet Farm Restaurant, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Susan, we do agree that the restaurant is a great place for drinks and live music! However, we apologize your food experience wasn't as memorable. Our chefs take pride in everything they prepare and serve and we use only the freshest food & ingredients available. Our head chef has been notified of our inconsistencies so rest assured next time you visit us, we'll be at the top of our game! Thanks for your review and we look forward to serving you again soon.
“Just average!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great atmosphere both in the tavern and the dining room. Food is ok but overpriced for the portions you get. Sandwiches and comfort food in the Tavern are your best bets. Drinks are also good.

• Visited February 2014
Hi Dennis, thanks for sharing your recent experience at our restaurant. We strive to go above and beyond, "just average", so I apologize your experience fell short. We take all customer comments very seriously and your concerns have been shared with the head chef and management for review. We invite you to give us another chance and perhaps change your review from, "just average" to "Outstanding!" Thank you.
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
“21 SICKENED DEC. 8, 2013”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I recently attended a birthday celebration on Sat., Dec. 7, 2013 at Bittersweet Farm. The meal itself seemed fine, although I found it strange that they didn't offer any bread or rolls to go along with a meal of pasta, salad, ham, and potatoes. I was also surprised to see that after dinner, a small pot of coffee was put out on a side shelf for people to have to go and get on their own. There was no "announcement" of coffee and you might have missed it. The following morning, Sun, Dec. 8, I became violently ill with vomiting and diarreah at the same time. This lasted without interruption all through Monday! 2 days! Once vomiting stopped, the explosive diarreah continued through Thursday with terrible sporadic bouts of terrible nausea and stomach pain. I have been unable to work due to terrible illness and weakness, losing days of work. On Thursday, Dec. 12, I was so sick and weak that I finally went to the doctor. I was immediately given IV fluids for total dehydration as well as anti nausea medication. I also had to have several tests run for food poisoning and am now on prescription meds due to the loss of hydration. The biggest news everyone should be aware of is that I am only 1 of 21 others who have become sick from the food they ate! It is obvious that we all shared the same buffet style meal. Only after having conversations with other guests from the party did I also learn that this restaurant has only accepted limited responsibility. The bill was $1,200.00 and the restaurant offered a $200.00 refund! That was a total slap in the face. I am looking into any legal action I may take after losing such time out of work. Advice? - RUN AWAY FAST!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Jacqui L
Merideth M, Marketing Manager at Bittersweet Farm Restaurant, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
We are very sorry that you and some of the other guests attending the event on December 7th became ill. We would like you to know that the Massachusetts Board of Health has conducted a thorough investigation of the food served that evening, as well as the handling practices and safety procedures that were followed. It has been determined by the Board of Health that the cause(s) of said illnesses were in fact not food born, but likely a virus, which could have been carried by a guest attending the event. Our head chef personally prepared all of the food served that evening using only the freshest ingredients and following the strict food handling guidelines that we have in place. We have also conducted our own separate investigation and have determined that none of the staff involved with serving the food on December 7th have reported any signs of illness.

We were alerted of the ill guests by the host of the event on December 9th. We immediately took action to determine the cause and we were in contact with the host regarding our findings. Although we maintain that the illnesses were not in relation to our food or staff, we did offer a partial refund as a courtesy.

We at Bittersweet Farm take pride in providing the best of experiences for our guests. We hold ourselves to the highest food and service standards and we are dedicated to ensuring the satisfaction and safety of each and every guest we serve. We are sincerely sympathetic and disappointed that such illnesses occurred, and that as a result there are such negative feelings toward our establishment.

If you would like to discuss the matter further, or have any questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Best Regards,