“everything enjoyable and thanks to Bill, the sous-chef”
Review of The Orchards Hotel

The Orchards Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Williamstown
Reviewed 1 January 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our weekend stay at the Orchards Hotel on a snowy, cold weekend. All of the accomodations were excellent, and the staff was most helpful in helping us coordinate our weekend in the area. Our room was very spacious and comfortable. My husband enjoyed playing the grand piano in the common room. The highlight was the exquisitely prepared, delicious and beautifully presented meal of Sous-chef, Bill Sheridan. We very much enjoyed his visit to our table. Barbara and Teddy

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not below a family with toddlers. Their stomping feet can be heard as they w...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
orchardsgm, General Manager at The Orchards Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Bill wanted me to let you know how much he appreciates the fact that he was able to make your time in Gala special. He is one of our key culinary people and always gives 110% to pleasing our guests. Thank you for staying at the Orchards. We are very happy that we were able to provide pleasant experience for you. I hope you will come back soon. Please be sure to let us know when so that bill can say "Hello'". Thanks again!

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Great value. Went there to ski at Jiminy Peak. Great ski deal. Other than staying at the ski lodge itself this was our best option. We are certainly glad we took it. Ride only about 20 min to Jiminy. Kids are already asking if we can do again next year! Already recommending to friends.

• Stayed: December 2012
orchardsgm, General Manager at The Orchards Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

The skiing at Jiminy has been great! I'm glad to hear that had a chance to enjoy it. I'm pleased to know that our ski package worked out well for you. Many others have found the package to be a nice value. I hope that you will have the opportunity to get some more skiing in during the remainder of the winter months. Hope to see you again soon. We'll keep the fireplace lit!

Reviewed 30 December 2012

The hotel is lovely inside. There is a big, welcoming living room, with a fire in the fireplace in winter. Complimentary coffee is set out in the morning; tea and pastries are set out in the afternoon; and cookies arrive at your room in the evening. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were delicious. And the rooms are amazing. We treated ourselves to a "Courtyard Room" (we paid the rack rate of $139) - and boy, did we get our money's worth.The same room in Boston or New York would go for at least $500/night. We didn't have a single complaint. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

There is nothing better for me to hear than to have a guest say that there were no complaints. Our staff takes great pride in meeting the needs of our guests, so they feel especially rewarded when they know that they attained 100% of their objectives. We greatly appreciate that you took the time to express your thoughts regarding your experience at the Orchards and Gala. Thanks so much for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Williamstown.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Orchards Hotel in October of 2012 for our honeymoon. We really enjoyed the friendly staff, great atmosphere, clean and tidy rooms and just overall amazing experience. Big rooms with a great fireplace. The food at the Gala was top notch! We will return in the future and recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Williamstown or the surrounding area!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

It was our pleasure to have you celebrate your honeymoon a our guests. We are pleased that you had the opportunity to experience the ambiance created by our "living room" fireplace. Chef Bonninvier works hard to create a great menu in Gala and he wil be happy to know that you enjoyed your experience there. It is sincere hope that you will join us for your anniversary.

Reviewed 12 December 2012

I took my boyfriend on an overnight getaway to the Berkshires for his birthday. We had never been to this hotel, or this area before. The hotel is lovely! Our favorite part was the roaring fireplace off the lobby where you can sit and relax in one of the comfy couches. We hung out there for a couple hours on the afternoon we arrived. The staff was wonderful.. Everyone is very friendly & helpful! I called a few hours before check-in time to see if we could get an early check-in and we were told, "NO problem, your room will be ready in 40 minutes." And it was :-).. We had a fireplace room which was very roomy and comfortable and clean. I loved the 2 sink areas in the bathroom.The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is because of the condition of the room. It desperately needs to be updated, with peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, a very dingy looking shower floor, and out-of-date tiles (blue) in the bathroom. The walls are a bit thin, too, so it wasn't as quiet as I had hoped. But clearly this is the place to stay (and eat) in the area so we will probably be back someday.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
orchardsgm, General Manager at The Orchards Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2012

A belated "Happy Birthday" to your boyfriend from all of us at the Orchards. I'm glad that you had an opportunity to celebrate here at the Orchards. Taking advantage of our fireplace in the lobby , as well as in your room, was a good call. Most of our guests seem to enjoy the special ambiance offered by our fireplaces.
A note regarding our rooms, during the winter months we we go through all of rooms to refresh them and to eliminate any deficiencies that need to be addressed. We are sorry that your room wasn't perfect ,but let me assure that the issues you mentioned will be addressed. We are also in the process of looking at new options to give our rooms a more contemporary look. We hope to put some new ideas into effect this winter.
Thank you for your kind remarks. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to celebrate another birthday with us.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

I am in Williamstown 2-3 times a year, and often the Orchards has been sold out, or in high season, much more expensive. This time they were inexpensive and available. The staff was welcoming and the hotel is lovely. The room was quite comfortable with a spacious bathroom and flat screen TV. I ate in the bar and the staff couldn't have been nicer. As a solo woman traveler they made me feel quite comfortable. I will try to stay there when I return even at a higher cost.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

I'm glad that we were able to accommodate you on your recent visit to the Berkshires. Our rates vary based on demand levels and i do suggest that you check with us regarding special packages and offerings that are more economical. It is our objective to try to meet your needs no matter when you are planning to stay.
Thanks for your wonderful remarks about the hotel. As always we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I hope we will get to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 December 2012

We really enjoyed everything about our stay. All of the staff were extremely welcoming and helpful. It was obvious that they enjoy working here and they want you to like it as much as they do. The hotel has a nice look and feel to it with lots of attention to detail. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. We didn't have a fireplace in our room, but spent a great deal of time reading on the comfy sofas by the fireplace in the lobby. I liked that the hotel offers several gathering places where you can hang out when traveling with friends and family. We were really impressed with the hotel dining room. They do a great job of using produce from the area farms. Lots of local meat. I find a lot of restaurants these days say that they use local produce, but when pushed, they only have a few items that are local. The dishes were very creative, and the flavor combinations were amazing. This is one of those rare hotels where I would go to eat in the restaurant even if I wasn't staying there. It was an added benefit not to have to leave the hotel on a December evening to get a delicious dinner.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
orchardsgm, General Manager at The Orchards Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

We certainly try to get it right. It's great to know that for you we achieved that goal. I always enjoy seeing guests taking advantage of our living room especially when we have a nice warm fire going. As you say it's a great place to relax, hang out and read a good book.

Thanks for mentioning Gala. We are very lucky that here the Berkshires we have access to local farms that specialize in organic produce, fresh meats and cheeses. Chef Bonnivier loves to use these products as often as possible. We feel that our menu is special for that very reason.

Your nice comments are appreciated and we look forward to having you as our guests again in the near future. Thanks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamstown
The Porches Inn at MASS MoCA
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to The Orchards Hotel? Share your experiences!