“The Bates Motel revisited” 1 of 5 bubbles

Williamstown Motel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Williamstown
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“The Bates Motel revisited”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

No one should stay at the Williamstown Motel The room was dark, dank, and dingy. The so called carpeting on the floor of the room was disgusting. The toilet in the bathroom did not flush properly. The faucet for the shower did not work. The bedding had an unpleasant odor about it.
We could not wait to get out of there.

Room Tip: Choose a different place to stay
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank B K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Acton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

We visited Williamstown mid-week to go to the Theater Festival and stayed for one night in a room with a queen bed. Sometimes it's difficult to get a one night reservation in the Williamstown area in the summer. The Williamstown Motel is an old style motor court just off Route 2 between North Adams and Williamstown. Check in was quick and friendly. The room was small but very clean, updated and obviously well taken care of with a surprising level of amenities for a small motel (refrigerator, microwave, flat panel TV, iron, ironing board, hairdryer, etc. - everything you would expect in a much more modern property). Bathroom was small but modernized with lots of towels, strong shower, plenty of hot water. Clearly someone is paying a lot of attention to detail and repairing or replacing furnishings whenever needed. Downsides: the bed was softer than we would have liked and we were surprised by the amount of road noise we heard in the overnight hours (enough to make us think twice about staying there again).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

We have stayed at a number of the local offerings, none of which have been outstanding enough to post a review. But this past weekend, nearly by accident I discovered the unadvertised advantages of staying here when you are interested in Williamstown summer theatre. We were coming to town for another reason, but wanted to see the Blythe Danner play, but we didn't know if we could get tickets. However, while I was going down the tripadvisor list to inquire about room prices, the proprietor here asked if we were interested in theatre tickets, which he can help obtain. I told him I would be delighted with any tickets to the Blythe Danner production. Much to my surprise, he got us seats in the very center of the very front row - possibly the best seats in the house! We were close enough to count the blisters on Ms. Danner's bare feet, if she had any. (she didn't.) OK, I was hooked. I asked him if he could help get us tickets for the next star-studded production - The Elephant Man (with Bradley Cooper and Patricia Clarkson) and he came through for that one too. Thank you, sir!

OK, and the rooms? Ours was exactly like the photos, so what you see is what you get. We have stayed at the Maple Terrace, the Cozy Corner, The Orchards, and a B&B near the Williamstown Inn, I forget what it was called. This one is comparable to the others, except for being much better than Cozy Corner, where I wouldn't want to stay again, due to the pervasive smell of disinfectant. (I also would not rush to repeat at Maple Terrace due to traffic noise.) The linens here, like elsewhere, are generic motel issue, and I am a bit of "princess and the pea" with regards to thread count, so if I were coming here again, I might bring my own spare pillow and bottom sheet. We were there during some 90 degree days, and the air conditioning was robust and lovely and provided nice low level white noise that covered the sound of traffic. (which is frankly a problem at any of these hotels on Main Street, especially Maple Terrace where our room was only about 10 feet away from the road.) (Williamstown may be a small quiet town but that doesn't mean trucks don't barrel through on Rt. 2 in the middle of the night!)

I would be remiss if I didn't also point out that the owners here also own the Spice Root restaurant, the only Indian restaurant in town, and according to tripadvisor, the best restaurant of any kind in Williamstown. It is also just as good or better than most Indian restaurants in Boston. So it has already long been a favorite of our family, and we were delighted to learn that motel guests get a 10% discount. Do wonders never cease? (OK, they did finally cease. I was looking forward to the complimentary breakfast, wondering what delights the proprietors of Spice Root would dream up, but it just turned out to be generic continental breakfast fare, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, etc. but still perfectly adequate and fine.)

In summary, this place goes above and beyond the call of duty if you want to go to a Williamstown Theatre Festival summer production. It is also great if you are a fan of Spice Root restaurant. And if you are none of the above, it is certainly as good as any other place we have stayed in Williamstown.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Florida, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

When we first pulled in we pulled back out and debated a bit, it just wasn’t what we are used to. But we had reserved a room for $99 online so in I went. It is just simple motel. Inside the office a very friendly man checked me in and gave me the room key – a real metal key! He showed me where breakfast would be the next day – a small corner counter in the office –served from 8 – 10. Inside, the room was large with two double beds, fridge, coffee maker, microwave, desk and chair, another chair, two suitcase racks, and a dresser with flat screen TV over top. Old fashioned, with comforters…no sheet wrapped duvet. The bathroom was very small but everything was pretty clean – including the carpet which is a plus. I cleaned the light switches, remote, and door handles with a Clorox wipe – but I do that everywhere – the light switches here needed it! After we got settled in we enjoyed the motel – being able to go right outside to the car. We drove to a local grocery and got dinner then brought it back and ate at some tables outside the motel. The motel is on the edge of town – it would be a very long walk to get to Williams College or Spring Street – that has the restaurants and shops. There is a Dunkin Donuts very close by and we went there for breakfast. I did check out the breakfast provided and it was OJ and milk in the containers in a mini fridge, two cereals, break, muffins, English muffins, jam, oranges, apples, bananas, and coffee provided in the office with no place to sit down. Oh – the best part was the bed which was very comfortable and the walls must be thick because I couldn’t hear our neighbors – which we had on both sides, or any road noise at all. In the end I left happy enough and feel like for the money it was fine. If I need to go back to Williamstown I will probably try a different place out but would stay here again if I couldn’t find anything else I wanted to try. We had considered the Orchards which are right down the street from the Williamstown Motel but were twice as expensive, I drove in the parking lot and it looked nice but I’m glad I didn’t pay over $200 for a room there.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Gulfport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I have had to come to North Adams many times in the last year. I have stayed at most of the motels in the Williamstown and Pittsfield area. I decided to give the Williamstown Motel a try this trip. I am soooo!! glad that I did. The owner was was the type that went out of his way to make my stay comfortable. It has always been a problem with the court system of changing dates as well as times of the multiple court hearings without notice making it hard to commit to how many days I will be at any hotel. The owner was as flexable as to this problem and made it work for me. Try this with any other hotel where I have stayed, They could care less. The rooms are extra clean, service was the best, the staff very pleasent, and the rates are also reasonable. This will be my home away from home for my trips in the future. GREAT HOTEL
Jim from St. Petersburg, Florida

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

Staff was pleasant and helpful when making reservations and checking in. The room appeared to be newly painted, but this is a strip motel. The room and bath were very clean.

The bathroom was small and I was unable to open the window. There was good water pressure and plenty of hot water, but I was not able to keep the water from splashing out into the bathroom.

The bed was comfortable and the refrigerator kept our complimentary wine and chocolates cold. The refrigerator also did not make noise as they so often do.

I was unable to close one of the windows. We did not need the heat nor the AC.

We stayed there during reunion weekend; so of course the cost was high, but not out of line with the other lodging in town.

If you are looking for a clean, comfortable, two star motel, this would be a good choice.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Virginia, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

My first visit to the WM, though I know the area well from living there in the past. Rate (thru online booking service) was good, staff were pleasant, location is great. But the room itself was unpleasant. Seemed clean, but every surface was dark -- designed to 'not show the dirt' (not what one wants in a strange room and bath). Lighting was very dim (as in most motels and some hotels). The bed was very comfortable, there was a good desk for computer work, and there was a fridge and microwave (didn't use those, and didn't try the window air conditioner). The bathroom was really creepy -- very amateurish tile job, grout that looked stained (but probably just not properly installed), very tight quarters, and a toilet that leaned at about 20 degrees, which was worrisome (rotten subfloor?) -- then when the toilet was used, we discovered it rocked severely. There was a flat-screen TV, but the frame of it was held together with what looked like clear packing tape. The whole experience was not pleasant, even at a good discount price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pat T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamstown
The Orchards Hotel
#2 of 13 in Williamstown
MAPLE TERRACE MOTEL
MAPLE TERRACE MOTEL
#3 of 13 in Williamstown

Been to Williamstown Motel? Share your experiences!