“The best place to stay in the Berkshires.”

MAPLE TERRACE MOTEL
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Williamstown
Reviewed 14 December 2009

And I don't say that lightly. I have stayed at Wheatleigh (which is completely wonderful!) and still prefer The Maple Terrace. Here's why: I have stayed there many times, over the course of many years. The rooms are always immaculately clean with very comforatble beds - even the cots are comfy. The grounds, watched over by the most majestic willow tree, are beautifully cared for in a way that is natural and welcoming, never fussy or over-done. The main gardens are lovely to sit in, and attrack lots of hummingbirds in season. In winter the grounds have a different beauty (And there is a room with a fireplace!). It is hard to beat the wonderful pool area in warm weather - lovely and sunny though you can easily find shade under an umbrella or nearby tree. There is a stables at the top of the hill behind the pool; it is beyond idylic to relax in the sun with a glass of something, watch the horses at play in the fields, and then when it all gets too darn hot throw yourself into the crystal clear pool. Kjell and Ann are unfailingly professional, helpful, kind and fun! There are several rooms that are dog-friendly. If you have a cold, Ann will give you honey for your tea (available in the Office each morning along with coffee, juice, etc.) Kjell will always find a way to make you laugh. As the sign says when you are heading back to your room from the pool, it is like "HOME."

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank FlurryKnox

Reviewed 10 November 2009

I am sorry to be writing this review, as we booked here with high hopes, following previous trip advisor reviews and the Maple Terrace website. Although this is our fifth trip, it was also our first experience of a motel in America, so we have no reference to compare with, possibly ours was a one off experience and our expectations were unrealistic. We stayed here for two nights, during a family of four touring holiday of New England.

On the up side the owners and the exterior of the motel are lovely, the beds are comfortable and the complimentary breakfast of cake, coffee and orange juice was welcome. The location for us was good, although its not a short stroll to the shops, as previously reviewed.

However, on the downside we found the furnishings to be tired and shabby, the bathroom was so poorly maintained that it was unpleasant to use; the loo seat, shower curtain, floor and wall tiling were very worn. The towels provided were very thin and of poor quality. The fridge did not work. The carpet was also unpleasant to walk on in bare feet. Overall our room did not feel clean and it did not feel as if any part of the rooms contents had been recently purchased.

On balance, I am sorry to say, we would not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Honey46
Reviewed 5 November 2009

After more than a dozen stays at Maple Terrace over the past 3+ years, I can honestly say that it is a wonderful place to stay when I'm visiting my daughter at Williams College. It's a short walk or drive to the campus for school or sports events, and allows us to easily visit the college museum, Clark Art Museum, Mass Moca, the Williamstown Theatre Festival (summer), and other sites in the Berkshires.

Ann and Kjell provide warm, humorous, and gracious hospitality. Having tried a few places when my daughter started Williams, I was elated when I first was able to book a room at Maple Terrace. Everything was great and I preferred it over any other nearby option I'd tried. It's peaceful, rooms are clean, there is free wi-fi, and the coffee and cake in the morning are delicious. The gardens are beautiful. The owners make you feel welcome and clearly enjoy their guests.

I often book well in-advance and the couple of times I needed to cancel, I let them know and never had a problem. A few times I've made a last minute trip to Williamstown, and Maple Terrace is the first place I call to see if they have a room. It's friendly, relaxing and I highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 November 2009

We've stayed at the Maple Terrace several times while visiting the local college. The hosts have worked with us to find accommodations during busy times of the school year and have always been accurate and efficient in changing and adjusting reservations when our plans have changed. I would highly recommend the motel and appreciate the personal attention given by the hosts. The location is ideal for quiet relaxation, touring the area and visiting the college. There is always coffee and a continental breakfast available in the mornings. The motel offers all the ammenities one needs in a pleasant motel setting. The gardens are lovely; the rooms are fresh and clean; rates are fair and the hosts are very accommodating.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2009

The Maple Terrace Motel is a lovely, clean spot in Williamstown. Ann and her husband are terrific and wonderful owners. The rooms are neat and clean, the coffee and cake in the morning are fresh and delicious and the location is terrific as you can easily walk to the Williams campus and the hotel backs up onto a beautiful horse farm. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2009

When my 16 and 18 year old daughters and I came into Williams, it was cold, rainy and dark. We didn't have a reservation and had decided to do a drive by and look and see what inns and hotels looked inviting. When I saw Maple Terrace Motel, I doubted we could afford it (were were doing a grand college tour--15 colleges in 13 days) but we decided to call and see what was available. We were happy that their rates were lower than we thought and that we could stay in what was one of the friendliest and cleanest places we found during our trip. The motel has lots of personality too! Kjell helped my daughters figure out how to connect to the internet so that they could get a homework assignment. Ann was very happy to answer all our questions. I highly recommend this Motel. It was a warm spot on our journey.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Loved the Maple Terrace! Ann and her husband are so nice. The grounds were lovely with the horse farm behind the pool area. My husband and I loved that we could walk to town so easily from the motel. We also loved the trails behind "The Clark". It was beautiful. Don't miss the hair pin turn when you go, it is cool to have a drink at the Hair Pin Turn Restaurant. We stayed in the two bedroom upstairs Room 117. It was very nice and private. We will definitely be back again!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamstown
The Williams Inn
Vacation Village in the Berkshires
Williamstown Motel
Williamstown Motel
#3 of 13 in Williamstown

Been to MAPLE TERRACE MOTEL? Share your experiences!