“Nice place, good value.”

BEST WESTERN PLUS New Englander
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Woburn
cincinnati,oh
“Nice place, good value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

My wife and I stayed here for the third time while in the Boston area to visit family and friends in the area. For it's relatively close proximity to downtown and cost this place is a really good value.
Getting around in the Boston area is never easy for someone unfamiliar with the lay out and travel options. There were some people at the hotel from Louisiana who were experiencing difficulties in that regard. I grew up in Boston so I made out OK. The hotel is less than 10 miles from the northern Boston city line.
Had a problem that with the room we were given upon arrival. We booked through Priceline and they give you whatever crappy room is available. The room while nice enough was an accessible room with a large shower that was level with the bathroom floor and no seperation between the two. When we took a shower in the morning the bathroom floor got absolutely flooded and there appeared to be no way to keep it from happening. We went to the lobby and were in a new room within 15 minutes.
Room was clean and comfortable and housekeeping did a good job the 5 nights we stayed there had no issues. There is an electronic safe in the room which is convenient. However on check out we were charged $1.50 per day for the use of the safe. I don't recall being charged for it on our 2 prior stays there, and I don't know if it's a new policy or just because we booked through Priceline. On the subject of Priceline we won't be using their services again ever. Absolutely no service after booking and their customer service reps were pretty rude.
I would definitely recommend this place for anyone looking for a reasonably priced alternative to the obscene cost of a Downtown Boston Hotel We will gladly return here while in town.
Also there is a restaurant/pub located directly next to the Hotel called Spud's. It is independently owned and operated from the hotel but is connected by a hallway. Great place to sit, relax and watch a ballgame. Good food reasonable drink prices and a lot of people who live in the area who are very friendly and fun to hang out with. It is one of the better reasons to stay at the Best Western New Englander.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2009

The Best Western New Englander makes a great base for exploring the greater Boston area. Located just 10 miles north of downtown Boston and 15 miles east of Lexington and Concord, the hotel is convenient to many of New England's historic sites and attractions.

This is a great hotel for kids. There is a large, indoor swimming pool and a great breakfast room. The public areas appear to have been renovated very recently, and the lobby is a bright, inviting place with a large, LCD TV.

The rooms are standard Best Western accommodations. The room was clean and spacious, but not as modern as the recently renovated lobby. The front desk staff was very helpful and knowledgeable about the local area, and they were more than wiling to contact area attractions. They were patient with our kids, too.

Overall, the Best Western New Englander is a good choice in Boston if you don't want to spend the money to stay downtown. If you do stay out of Boston, however, don't forget that downtown parking approaches $30.00 per day.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

After a business trip to NYC, we decided to come up to Boston and see Boston for the first time. I was told to stay out of the city because its often noisy and would be easier to park a rental car in the suburban areas.
Upon checking in, I immediately realized this was not a hotel I should have booked. The lobby was dreary and the hallways were dark and contained a pungent smell I have a hard time describing. The beds were uncomfortable and masked with a cheap mattress cover. The bathrooms were less than simple and had holes in the wall with the wallpaper peeling. The furniture inside reminded me of something I would see in a motel in the West.
I just read some of the reviews and I cannot beleive the contrast in others saying how much they liked this hotel and the others that complain about the same characteristics (dirty, simple and smelly) that I just noted. It makes we wonder...
In a nutshell, there really was nothing to like about the room. My wife and I would have found another hotel to stay had we not pre-paid for the room.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
NEW JERSEY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

At our recent visit to Boston we choose to stay at The Best Western New Englander hotel since it was convienently located close to to Boston and the T-station. Hotel was very clean and rooms were emmaculate, the staff was very friendly and helpfull to all of our needs. We have stayed at many best westerns in the past but nothing like this one, they were perfect on their service and knew the guest expectations. For once I thought someone knew what hospitality is all about . The pool was amazing my kids loved it and did not want to leave the pool area. The breakfast host was trully a great host. He made the waffles for my kids and served them at the table , now that is going beyond and above the expectancy of customer service. I know that I will be staying here fo rmy future visits to Mass, Boston

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Carmel, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2009

I stayed here this past September for a three day weekend. I was in a standard room (two queen beds) with my daughter, 7 y/o sister, and mom. My first impressions of the hotel itself was that it was clean, quiet, and the lobby was new and over all pretty nice looking. Both the pool and the "gym" were really small. None of us used them. The internet area consisted of maybe four computers, and was near the lobby.

We were checked in by a gentleman named Fritz, who was polite and courteous (and very helpful later on).

When we opened the door to our room, we did notice a slight smell, reminiscent of old gym socks (or what I'd imagine them to smell like, lol). That was easily remedied by the travel-size room spray we brought with us. The room itself was more than adequate. The free internet was great, the mini-fridge did its job, the bathroom was clean and looked new. The beds were comfortable enough, for us anyway, and I'm used to sleeping on a temper-pedic.. bad back =(

After we got settled in, I went back to the main desk to ask for some spoons, and Fritz went out of his way to help me out. He took me to check in the breakfast room, and when he couldn't find any utensils there, he went to check in the back. After a few minutes, he came out with a few forks (that was all he could find) and a banana for my 2 y/o daughter! He was so nice and friendly, and always ready to help or answer any questions we had. I came back again to ask about the ice machines, and he told me they were on the second and fourth floors only. He also told me that they sometimes jam, and how to work it in case it gave me problems. It was kind of a hassle to have to take the elevator up a couple floors, walk alllll the way to the end of the hall and back, just to get some ice, but whatever.. it's a Best Western.

Breakfast the next day was free, which is the best kind, lol. They had a few different cold cereals, oatmeal packets, bagels, bread, fruit, and hard boiled eggs. The waffle maker made tasty waffles, which was great.

Later that night, when we came back from sightseeing in Boston, it was POURING rain. We were using the side entrance to get in, since it's by the parking lot and a lot closer to our room. Unfortunately, I must have demagnetized the room card (which also opens up this side entrance), so I was standing in the torrential downpour with my little sister and balancing an umbrella and a sleeping toddler in my arms, trying futilely to get in, but really just getting soaked. Thankfully, an employee standing all the way down at the front desk noticed us and came running at full speed down the hallway to open the door for us! This young man (probably only a few years younger than my 24 at the time), whose name I've regretfully forgotten, was so nice, and didn't hesitate at all to help us in and get us new cards. Everything and everyone up to this point were great....

Then, the incident on our last night happened. At about 2am, my mom woke up because the ceiling was leaking onto the foot of her bed. Here we're thinking, "ok, [--] is going on?" but whatever, a pipe probably just burst or something. So my mom gets up to call the front desk, and that is when we smell it. Beer. The liquid dripping down is not water, but BEER. We stick the trash can underneath it, and then realize that it's now starting to leak from a couple places above the TV. Before long, the whole room reeks of beer. By the time the front desk person comes, we are throwing all our stuff into our bags, and wondering what the heck is going on. Then the police come, ask us a couple questions, and leave. Turns out, the occupants in the room above us completely trashed the place. Now it's around 3am, and we are left trying to drag a very heavy , dead to the world 7 y/o and 2y/o, along with all our stuff, up to another room on another floor. This room, while it was slightly bigger, was not non-smoking like our previous one. Otherwise it was fine. When we checked out the next day, all we were offered was a $45 credit. We were too exhausted to bother with haggling anything more out of them, but I feel like we deserved a bit more for all that bs we had to deal with the night before. That is why I gave 4 instead of 5 stars.

For what it is, and what you pay, the Best Western New Englander is, IMO, a great place to stay if you want to save money by staying just outside of Boston. There are also stores right nearby, in case you are hungry / thirsty / etc. It doesn't seem like a bad neighborhood (but then, I've lived in Queens, NY for 23 years...not too much phases me lol). I would definitely stay there again if I got a good deal on a room.

• Liked — The friendly staff, and the free high speed internet in the rooms.
  • Disliked — while we didn't use the pool, it would have been nice if it was bigger (in case we come back!)
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Long Island NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2008

When reading some of the recent reviews. However, now I wonder if these reviews were directed at the correct place.
Motel was clean, staff ok, not award winning but did thier job.

Room was clean, decor was fine for the area and price. Wireless internet was terrible. Continental breakfast was par for free motel breakfast.

Room was quiet, heat worked fine, plenty of hot water. Shower head height was for dwarfs, not average height people. Only 2 bath towels but got more from the friendly maid. Apparently people steal them frequently.

Location was convenient, food, gas and other neccessities nearby.

• Liked — Affordability for Boston area
  • Disliked — Wireless internet, we are online junkies
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Burlington, VT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2008

had the unfortunate luck of staying at this property this past weekend. just about every aspect of the hotel is dilipidated. it's in dire need of repair from the lobby floors, to the rooms to the outside facade. I hope they can renovate this hotel and put it up to par with other hotels in the boston area due its convienient location. there are much nicer places to stay for the same rate right now.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — quality of hotel is sub-par
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple