“Little overpriced; lacks Customer Service & Value”
Review of Sichuan Garden II

Sichuan Garden II
Ranked #26 of 133 Restaurants in Woburn
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“Little overpriced; lacks Customer Service & Value”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I do quite a few reviews every year and have rarely given someone only 2 of 5 - but these guys earned it. For cocktails, Sichuan Garden II has a huge list to chose - but you never heard of one beer on the list. I tried a Mai Tai.....it was good but pricey. I had the Hot & Sour Soup to start; it was a little watery with not much substance. For main entree I ordered the Wok Seared Filet Mignon with Mushroom & Spinach and a side of white rice. What I received was peppered beef with onions and broccoli on the side.....I could not find any spinach on the plate? The white rice was served in a separate bowl and they added an extra $1.50 to the bill for rice, which is a little absurd based on the price for the entree. Total interface with the waitstaff was giving me a menu and delivering my bill. No one ever asked if everything was ok? or if I wanted another drink? If this is their normal service - they are in trouble.

• Visited August 2014

USA
“Loved it, now hate it”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This will be a strange review. I absolutely love the food here. But I am so turned off by my last visit that I will never return.

My family and I have been frequenting this restaurant for a good 5 or 6 years. Though I have never been to the Sichuan area in China, I perceive what they serve to be genuine Sichuan food. It is quite different from other Chinese restaurants (even in Chinatown). They use spices (which look like peppercorns but really aren't) that tingle your taste senses. Every dish we have tried in dozens and dozens of previous visits pretty much knocked it out of the park. Food-wise, very, very nice.

Service-wise and decor-wise, it has always been questionable. Now here is the experience that prevents me from recommending this restaurant. A few months ago, we went to Sichuan Garden for dinner. As usual, we ordered our fare. We got 3 of the 8 dishes we ordered almost immediately. Then service stopped. Period. No waiters. No sign of any service for 30 minutes. I went to the desk to inquire. Long story short, it turns out they received a huge takeout order that rendered our order minute. The manager (more on this guy later) stoically said "sorry" and communicated we will not get the rest of our order. So here we are, literally half way through our meal, service is cut off, with no communication whatsoever until I went to inquire. Need I analyze this?

Ok, so the manager... The original manager/owner is a tall Chinese gentleman who is very kind and cordial. This new guy is his son who just graduated from college and is working for his dad. This guy made a conscious decision to cut off service to diners already at this tables to fill another (admittedly lucrative) order. Need I say more about his character? And when confronted, he was quite rude and aggressive. He in turn asked me "what do you want me to do?"

Such a shame.

• Visited November 2013
6 Thank Nandoverman
Boston
“Quality, Lighter Chinese Fare”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We made a reservation for ten for a going-away party and requested a round table. Happily arrived to find ourselves in what seemed an almost private room (it was 5:00 pm). Our waitstaff was excellent: attentive, spoke very good English, offered suggestions, kept our waters full and appeared often, yet were not intrusive. We didn't feel rushed at all.

We enjoyed the food very much. (We are a Chinese family.) It was unanimous that the eggplant dish was the best. Many enjoyed the fish filets, but not all. The fare is upscale and lighter, not your regular Chinatown, Chinese plates, so you'll be surprised that the pan-fried noodles are not the same noodles nor smothered in sauce and the appetizers are lighter.

Overall, a great experience and I'd go back, but my Caucasian husband didn't agree.

We spent $150.00 including 20% tip (be wary, although usually standard, they added it on without mentioning it) for ten people - not too many alcohol drinks, 2 light eaters, 8 appetizers and 6 main courses.

Scallion Pancake (2)
Dumplings (2)
Crab Rangoon
Tofu wrapped -cold dish

Beef with Chinese broccoli
Eggplant in a ground pork sauce
Chicken with panfried noodles
Fish filets
Roast pork, panfried noodles
Spicy Green beans
3 orders white rice

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank vacationlover5678
Boston
“Get the Tangerine Beef if you have kids”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Family of 4 (4 yr old and 7 yr old) liked it. My 7 yr old son (Chines food lover) at one point said "I feel like I'm in heaven". He would have licked the plate if I had let him. We ordered: Beef Satay (delicious and better quality meat), Pork Pan Seared Dumplings (good flavor) which came with soy sauce and a sweet sauce (yum), Chicken Lo Mein (interesting smokey flavor, but kind of ho hum and not much chicken, but not bad), Tangerine Beef (deliciously sweet! a favorite of the kids and mine), an Eggplant dish with chicken and sauce (Eggplant was good, but not a fan of the sauce, of which there was A LOT)
Service was good, however the dumplings arrived luke warm. 6:30 on a Tuesday was not very busy. We had servers walking by our room to look in often. An older gentleman asked us how our food was. The server accidentally brought us tangerine beef instead of sesame beef for which the server apologized (next to each other on the menu & I think my kids were being loud while I was ordering) but we LOVED it so were happy with the accident.
This is the perfect place for smaller gatherings. We explored the house. They have rooms for probably 40 people to smaller for 10 where you can have the whole room to yourself.
Prices were a little higher than other Chinese places but it is more on the fine dining side. OK to bring kids if on the earlier side when it's fairly empty. We had our 3 table room to ourselves for most of the time.
I would have given 3.5 stars if I could

• Visited May 2014
Placitas, New Mexico
“Worth a special trip”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We were staying in a nearby hotel, so I checked a couple review sites ahead of time to scope out restaurants. We are huge fans of Sichuan cuisine, so I was delighted (and surprised) to find that Sichuan Garden II was only a mile or two away. We are in no way food snobs, but one thing we learned while traveling in China is what true Sichuan food is like. We have a few favorite real Sichuan restaurants that we frequent when in New York City, but most often the case is that a Chinese restaurant menu will include a few dishes described as Sichuan or Szechuan when they aren't at all authentic, lacking requisite ingredients such as sichuan peppercorns and peppercorn oil. Sichuan Garden II is the real deal. Two of us ordered several dishes to split and all were delicious and authentic. Other reviewers have noted the talent of the mixologists at the bar. We had nothing to drink, but a glimpse into the bar area found it to be lively and engaging and the very busy bartenders were indeed turning out some interesting-looking concoctions. Spicing of the dishes we ordered was fairly middle-of-the-road, so don't be shy when ordering. If you like it a bit spicier just ask to kick it up a notch.

• Visited March 2014