“Park at Palmer Street!”

The Steamship Authority - Martha's Vineyard
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Woods Hole
More attraction details
Owner description: Serving over 2 million travelers to Martha's Vineyard, the Steamship Authority is the largest ferry provider on Cape Cod, offering the lowest fares, the most departures and year-round service for passengers, vehicles and trucks. We offer off-site parking and free shuttle service to our Woods Hole terminal. Check our mobile site for current parking and trip status. Whether you come for a day, or a longer stay, the Steamship Authority is the Way to Go with our spacious ships, the most frequent daily departures, and U.S. Coast Guard-certified crews to get you there safely. From the moment you step on board, you'll have that vacation feeling. Sit outdoors for the sea breezes and spectacular ocean views, or find cozy, comfortable seating indoors. For your enjoyment, our snack bars offer beverages including beer, wine and mixed drinks, as well as hot and cold menu items. Pets are welcome to travel with you in designated areas on-board. The seven mile trip from Woods Hole to beautiful Martha's Vineyard takes just 45 minutes. And you have your choice of two ports for your arrival: Vineyard Haven or Oak Bluffs (May-October). From magnificent beaches to wind-swept dunes to historic town centers, a trip to Martha's Vineyard will always be memorable.
Williamsburg, Virginia
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 184 helpful votes
“Park at Palmer Street!”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Steamship Authority is the way to go. I traveled to Maratha's Vineyard on a busy Sunday with no issues. I parked at the Palmer Street Lot about 3 miles from the dock. On the way in I was able to put my bike on the bus rack. It was a quick drive to the dock. The ticket office was quick and efficient. They offer a Military discount that made my crossing with my bike only $16. It was so fast that I was able to jump on the "cargo" ferry early.

I don't recommend the cargo ferry for those looking for the true experience. It is the way big trucks get to the island. There are limited seats and not much rain coverage, as I found out when a rain squall hit.

On the way back I took the traditional ferry. 3 decks and lots of space, it was very comfortable. No rain squalls.

Since I had my bike with me I skipped the bus and rode back. There is a nice smooth bike path that leads right from the ferry dock. I highly recommend it. You can park at the bike path lots further up the trail if you want to save the parking fee. Probably a good option for the more frugal and less encumbered. I wish I had thought of it on the way in.

Visited July 2011