“Great View, Great Food, but the service and owner slipping”

Landfall Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 14 Restaurants in Woods Hole
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Water St.
Transit: During the season there is a local trolley that runs every half hour from other Falmouth locations. Also, the Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority has buses running continuously throughout the day.
Description: Landfall Restaurant is Woods Hole's premiere waterfront restaurant since 1946 with spectacular oceanfront dining and fresh local cuisine.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

It's hard to write a negative review about a restaurant that we love, but you know what they say, "it's only as good as your last meal." We ate there last week for my daughter's birthday as this is one of her favorite restaurants. I requested a window table for the special occasion and we were seated 3 tables deep. I let it go. After our drink order was taken it was 25 minutes before we ordered our meals after having to track down the waitress through a hostess. Then the courses never seemed to arrive. My wife cancelled her soup because it was taking so long. More than an hour later I went to look for a manager and actually found the owner. Must be an inherited establishment or he just doesn't care because business is that good, but he basically did nothing and didn't even apologize for the poor service or the long wait. The food just happened to turn up right about the same time and he just disappeared.

Again, the food was good, but the service is going downhill and the "management" leaves a lot to be desired. With so many great places to eat on the Cape one would think that they would care to please more!! Just be forewarned....

1  Thank RARPhantom

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Was in Woods Hole for few days with my fiancée so decided to eat here for lunch. Food was average but overpriced and the service was pretty standard although some staff looked like they'd rather be elsewhere. Only standout point is the tables by the windows over looking the water.

1  Thank Maverick300
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were coming back from Martha's Vineyard and came here on a suggestion from a bike rental place in Vineyard Haven. The restaurant is literally a minute's walk from the ferry, you can't miss it. We had a group of 10 people, it was 7 pm and primetime for dinner for all tourists and residents alike. We didn't have a reservation and hoped for the best. We couldn't get a table inside for all of us so they gave us a spot outdoors by the firepit which ended up working out perfectly. Our waitress was excellent and came by and checked up on us often. I'm torn between giving this place a 3 and a 4. A 3 because the food was good but pricey. A 4 because the service was excellent. I'd really give this place a 3.5. The clam chowder was so so, its consistency was watery and not as flavorful as other places. But the bowl size that we ordered was huge, it was practically a regular soup bowl. It's enough to share between 2-3 people as an appetizer. I ordered the "Seafood Newburg" which was a linguine dish with lobster, swordfish, and shrimp. The flavor was amazing but the swordfish was a bit overcooked, it felt tough to eat. The lobster and shrimp were fine. A salad and side dish came with the entree for free so I guess the $30 pricetag was worth it? I had the honey tarragon dressing (amazing) and ordered broccoli au gratin as my side. Delicious. We didn't have dessert but I did order a drink. The "Sinful Sally'. This one just didn't do it for me. It was a mix of champagne and Ketel One vodka? and it tasted a bit too sour for me and I am usually the person who loves sour things. Overall, service was great, some of the food was great and others average. This is not a restaurant I would go to often but only for special occasions as the price tag is a bit hefty. We were treating the birthday girl and between 9 people splitting the bill, it ended up being around $51 including tip. I left the restaurant feeling full and satisfied. I would come back again.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Very accomodating of large group reservations...in the high season! For over 25 years, one night out to dinner is at the LANDFALL. The wait staff is excellent. We are always seated within 10 minutes of arrival, and we're a party of 8 or more. Drinks are good, appetizers arrive in timely fashion...dinner is timely, too. We are four generations, with young children, and the staff accomodates and interacts with them...unusual in this time of "roll them in- roll them out".
The windowed dining area is quite scenic. Kompei !

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Had the chicken pesto and the chicken was tough and I wasnt even able to cut through it or chew it and the pasta and pesto were almost tasteless.. All for $28