“Good food, somewhat skimpy portions”

Captain Kidd Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 14 Restaurants in Woods Hole
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Captain Kidd Restaurant and Bar has a menu the presents American Seafood and Grille as well as the freshest raw bar in town.
Lebanon, CT
“Good food, somewhat skimpy portions”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This local favorite on the water in Woods Hole serves good food year round. Four of us ate here for dinner. I had fish and chips which were done well, crispy coating on tender fish and excellent hand cut french fries. The cole slaw was very good. The portion was disappointing. I would have gotten two fillets of that size at any number of other restaurants instead of the single one I received. Another had steak frites which were very good but, again, a relatively small portion. Another had hot wings and fish tacos (3), which seemed like a normal portions. They were reportedly very good. Lastly, my wife has a baked lazy man's lobster that was very good. This came with a half ear of too mature corn-on-the-cob and three small boiled red potatoes.
If the portions were more generous I would have recommended this place. I'm not so sure I would eat here again given the portion size versus the cost.

Visited August 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Always fine, never great.”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We go to The Kidd once or twice each time we are in Woods Hole. On the plus side, the atmosphere that of a waterside pub/sports bar. It's informal and family friendly. (There's often a sports game on TVin the bar area.) The seating area in the back is literally on Eel Pond, with pleasant views of the water and the boating activity nearby. The staff are friendly, and the menu is broad enough to have something for everyone. The food is fine--reliably OK but not great. They have a nice assortment of fresh fish and seafood along with meats, pastas, and chicken dishes. It's not for foodies but it will fill the belly in a good way and in a pleasant atmosphere.

• Visited July 2014
Chappaqu
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I have eaten here for the past 20 years. This is probably the last time. Portions were very small, the fish and chips was overcooked and dried out. We sat on wooden kegs. Way too small and very uncomfortable. We couldn't wait to leave.

1 Thank Bobwesolowski
Judy L, Public Relations Manager at Captain Kidd Restaurant, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your meal at the Captain Kidd. If you do come back, please be sure to ask for Rob, the manager. He will help to make sure your next meal is more satisfactory. In addition, although there is barrel seating in one part of the restaurant, there are plenty of other seating options to choose from that could make your dining experience more enjoyable. We hope you will give us another try.
Oakham
“Feed the fish at Captain Kidd's”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The lunch is great and fairly reasonable. Dinner was good, portions seems small though. Make sure you ask for a seat on the pier, you can feed the huge stripers while you eat!

Visited July 2014
Concord, New Hampshire
“Nice”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful waterfront deck. Serve was very good but not very personable. Food was very good. My wife had the fish toco and I had the claim roll. Very nice presentation and it was quite good. I would have given it 5 stars except my claims were a little over cooked and my wife's toco was a little skimpy with the fish.