“Keep an eye on your check”
Review of Quicks Hole Tavern

Quicks Hole Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Quicks Hole Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 14 Restaurants in Woods Hole
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Description: Quicks Hole Tavern is a New American restaurant and bar open seven days a week opposite the Martha's Vineyard ferry terminal in charming Woods Hole village. With water views from two floors, the Quicks Hole Tavern is known for great food, a large craft beer list and great cocktails. More casual dining and take-away is offered on the first floor bar.
Gloucester
“Keep an eye on your check”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Lots of local buzz about this new dining room -- new this season. The location is terrific, overlooking the Martha's Vineyard ferry. The room was noisy the weekend night we were there. The open kitchen adds more noise but a nice energy
Seating is odd with lightweight plastic chairs. The decor is cool with oversized photos of Woods Hole history. But . . . we come for the food and beverage, not the space!
The menu is pretty much what you would expect . . . fish, lobster rolls, burgers, etc. The bread was pretty tasty (or we were hungry). The food was good enough, and French Fries great. The cod was on the edge of being overlooked but would be OK for some.
The wine list is pretty limited and tops out (for whites) with La Crema Chardonnay, listed at $39.
The beer list has some of the basics and then some odd choices seemingly picked to seem hip. Sadly, no Sam Adams, not even the seasonals or Boston Lager.
So, when the check came, I happened to notice that the La Crema wine we had ordered was priced at $42 on the check printout. When I brought this to our server's attention, she showed no dismay or apology. She printed out a new version of the bill that STILL had the wine at $42 not $39, but at the bottom the check said, "Open $ Discount *Discount*: 3.00"
That apparently intentional overcharge felt so underhanded that it would keep us from returning if others have the same experience. I would love to hear what other diners find on their checks.

1 Thank KeenObserver01930
BCGosnold, Owner at Quicks Hole Tavern, responded to this review, 27 May 2014

I am deeply apologetic for this error. We opened our second location last week (our Taqueria next door) and all sorts of new items were loaded into our database that runs the point of sale system. This pricing mistake did not come to our attention until you flagged it for us. I hope you can imagine that with hundreds of items hand entered, that it is possible to make a mistake. In fact, after a careful review last night, I discovered several others that were in our customers favor.

In addition, please know that servers have no access to the pricing functionality, so once discovered, the only way for a server to adjust and "fix" the mistake is to enter it as an "open $ discount." This change should have come with a sincere apology, and I appreciate your sharing this feedback so I can make sure all servers understand the gravity of a mistake such as this one.

I am so sorry that your otherwise decent meal ended on this note, and wish to thank you for bringing the entire story to my attention. I hope you will give us a second chance one day.

sincerely,

owner, Quicks Hole LLC
29 Railroad Avenue Woods Hole MA 02543

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Very nice spot to eat by the water”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The tavern salad was very good. I had scallops added to mine which were delicious. It is pricey, but that is typical for the area. Service was a little slow, but it was very crowded. It was still early in the season and not all the area restaurants were open yet. The bread they give as starter food was interesting and tasty, with olive oil dip provided. We had to sit at the chef's bar because there were no tables available. It was kind of neat seeing the chef's cooking, but I would recommend not doing that when it is about an hour or so before sunset, because the sun was shining on the side of my face all through dinner, coming through the upper windows.

Hi Cindy -

Thanks so much for your kind review! Please note I have added window shades to alleviate the sharp sunset light on some evenings in the dining room. Hope you will come back and check it out!

Melbourne, Australia
“Seriously this is great!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Not given to giving excellent ratings, this place is seriously good. We were a party of four and each sampled appetisers, pig candy;quahog fritters;pickled veggies; and my favourite the crab cakes.
Yes recommended as a shared experience. On to mains, pork tenderloin, salmon, roasted cod and the bone in sirloin, well presented, tasty accompaniments, making the plate and offering extremely attractive, we were not disappointed! We were very satisfied. Skipping sweets, the youngest of our party was getting a wee bit tired. We could reflect on the cocktails, and a single glass of wine and say well done, great choice for a Monday evening meal. Attentive service, just right is how I would describe it, not intrusive offering that dependable presence looking to provide for the needs of the table.

For a Monday evening it was well patronised and my fears of having to content with disembarking ferry passengers were ill founded! Perhaps they are yet to discover this newly added "gem".

1 Thank Ozzietyke1
Hi Ozzietyke1 -

Honored to be called a "newly added gem", and so happy that you had an enjoyable meal at the Quicks Hole Tavern. Thanks for all the foodie details:) Maybe your tyke tried the kids salad with "goldfish"? My kids talked me into putting that on the menu. Hope to see you again soon!

Falmouth, Massachusetts
“Great location and creative menu”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Newly opened just a few months ago, but on a recent visit there was a 15-20 minute wait for a table! Creative salads and seafood, as well as meat selections. Service was a bit spotty, but I think it was because they were much busier than expected on a non-weekend nite! The bar downstairs was being renovated...it has some great music there. Location is right next to the boat going to the Vineyard, so am sure they will be busier than ever come summer. be prepared to wait...but be assured it is worth it!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank CapeSharon
Hi Cape Sharon -

Thanks for coming to Woods Hole and giving us this generous review! We are working on getting our pacing right, and we so appreciate your patience as we get our service together.

Hope to see you soon.

Los Angeles, California
“Great food, great view!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Delicious food, great views. Lots of vegetarian options, as well. I've got a full review on my food blog! http://theactorsdiet.com/2014/05/06/quicks-hole-tavern/

Visited May 2014
BCGosnold, Owner at Quicks Hole Tavern, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
What an honor to have Lynn Chen of the "Actor's Diet" in the house -- thank you Lynn and Abe, we sure hope to see you all again soon!