“Has Potential”
Review of Quicks Hole Tavern

Quicks Hole Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Quicks Hole Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Woods Hole
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Description: Quicks Hole Tavern is a New American restaurant and bar open seven days a week opposite the Martha's Vineyard ferry terminal in charming Woods Hole village. With water views from two floors, the Quicks Hole Tavern is known for great food, a large craft beer list and innovative wicked fresh cocktails. More casual dining and take-away is offered on the first floor bar.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Up front I will say this could be a 4+ star restaurant. My two dinner companions, both of who are well travelled and excellent cooks in their own right, agreed that the appetizers and entrees were excellent. I had the quahog chowder. Nice amount of clams and potatoes, not too thick, the way New England clam chowder should be. My companions had the crab cakes. Generous portions, perfectly sautéed. My companions had nothing but praise for the pan seared cod and the scallop dishes. I opted for the Caesar Salad with grilled chicken. Crispy well-dressed salad, home made croutons, perfectly done chicken. The only down side here was the side of french fries. Limp, little character. If McDonald’s can make a decent mass produced fry, how hard can it be to master this in small batch. Where things fell down was at the desserts. A ricotta cheese cake was mealy with a very commercial tasting generic pie crust. The mixed fruit crumble was even worse. Imagine a ramekin of chopped fruit topped with oat flakes straight from the box then heated in the oven for a few minutes before serving. Bottom line: attentive, friendly service; excellent appetizers and entrees; great view of Woods Hole and the ferry terminal; appetizers, they will spoil the experience.

1  Thank Dr_W_11

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Cheese and charcuterie plate was fantastic. Jeff the manager provided excellent service. Would def recommend, whether waiting for the ferry or not :)

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had seen the menu on my way to work so I went in for lunch the next day with a friend. The three cheese grilled cheese was brilliant. But what amazed us the most was the service, when we got there we were the only table but when we left every table was filled but our service was always top notch. Our water glasses were never empty, the food came out at the right the tempature and all our questions were answered.
Since I work in Woods Hole, I tell everyone to go here.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were excited to try this restaurant after reading the TA reviews and seeing the location. The room and the view from our table were lovely. We decided to make a meal from all the starters as they seemed so interesting. Our mistake that we didn't notice that the steamers were littlenecks and not the typical steamer clams one gets on the Cape, as we both ordered them and found them tasteless. Likewise the chowder we ordered was boring tasting more of a potato broth than of any fish or mollusk broth.

2  Thank ramblingroro
BCGosnold, Owner at Quicks Hole Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Rambling Roro -

I am so sorry you were disappointed with your meal. Our quahog chowder is made in house daily and has twice won "best chowder on Cape Cod" by the readers of the Cape Cod Times. I am so sorry it did not please you.

Littlenecks are a common Cape Cod dish, made from the smaller of our local quahogs, and lightly steamed to bring out the distinctive flavors. There are significantly more dense than Ipswich clams which are often referred to as "steamers." I know that all the different varieties of clam, plus their local nicknames can get confusing.

In the future, please let us know you were unhappy with the meal. We don't want anyone to leave the restaurant feeling unsatisfied with our food or service.

Thanks -

Beth
owner Quicks Hole Tavern
29 Railroad Ave
Woods Hole MA 02543
(508) 495-0048

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Can't beat the view and the food is fresh and good! Clean and bright reincarnation...the top level is noisy but 1st level accessible.. Nice addition to the waterfront.

Hi Margaret -

Thanks so much for this nice review. We appreciate it, and are committed to year round service to connect with our Vineyard friends and visitors. Being so close to the ferry gives us a great opportunity to be the place where Vineyarders and the Upper Cape can meet and hang out together. Now we just need to get our chatty customers to bring the volume down:)

See you soon!