“Could have been very good”

Residence Inn Worcester
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Worcester
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed one night. Had one-bed suite. Rooms were clean but the kitchen area had a strong cleaning chemical detergent smell. I was hoping that the room had only recently been cleaned and that the smell would dissipate. Unfortunately odor not changed by morning. Was made more tolerable by closing bedroom door. Front desk staff in the morning not very concerned with my report of the odor. Otherwise hotel is fine: good wi-fi, no problems streaming Netflix, breakfast had usual Residence Inn fare but also had greek yogurt and multiple toppings for waffles. There is a small pool, fitness area, pool table, and outdoor basketball court. Plenty of parking. Comfortable bed with zippered mattress cover. Easily adjustable thermostat. Hotel was quiet. No in-room safe. Does have iron and hair dryer. Plenty of parking. Overall would have been a very good stay if cleaning chemical odor had not been there.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Worcester, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

I sincerely apologize for the unpleasant odor of the cleaning supplies used in your room during your stay. We do take your feedback very seriously and I'm sorry that our front desk staff did not give you that impression. I'm pleased to hear, however, that you enjoyed your stay overall and I hope that you'll visit us again soon. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Kara Childs, GM

Reviewed 25 January 2014

The front desk staff are very helpful and polite. I arrived and was checking out the gym and pool facilities. Someone was very rude asking me why i was in the first floor with heavy accent. I did not see any staff ID nor he introduced himself. He was acting like the police there harassing the guests. In the mornings for breakfast and evenings for the manager's receptions, the kitchen staff stared at the guests while they were eating or picking the foods. The foods are for every guests. The staring and acting like a watchdog are just very unprofessional and rude. The assistant manager in the morning has tons of energy and causing me headache when she talks so fast and moving rigoriously

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Stephen M
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Worcester, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Stephen,

I apologize for the negative experience you had at our hotel. I will review these incidences with my staff and thank you for your feedback. I'll also pass your compliments along to the front desk team and I hope you'll visit us again and give us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to customer service.

Kara Childs, GM

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I grew up in the Worcester area and sadly had to quickly return to the area due to the passing of a family member at the nearby UMass Memorial Hospital. Knowing I'd need to be around the area the next day, I went for the closest option and booked a room at the Residence Inn, and I was glad I did. It's set far enough back from the street that traffic noise was no issue, and the place was warm and comforting on a cold night. Service was incredibly friendly from the check-in to the bar service, and the room was incredibly spacious, enough that having three other family members coming to visit for a while never felt cramped like it could in a standard hotel room.

Only beef was the included breakfast buffet. It smelled inviting, but the blandest eggs I've ever had, and they could maybe improve the coffee offering. Minor flaws in what was otherwise a very good hotel experience, on an occasion where I certainly wasn't expecting to be back in town so soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AnyMajorDude
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Four grandparents and one grandchild visited Worcester last weekend for some fun! We loved the Residence Inn. We had the amenities of the breakfast buffet as usual but this location offered more. On Saturday night, they had a movie (Home Alone) and offered free popcorn and other refreshments. We swam several hours in the pool (my grandchild met another child and they had fun playing together). The Residence Inn was close to everything and great restaurants. We visited the Ecotarium and Tower Hill Gardens that were very close. In the lobby, there was a welcoming fireplace and game tables where we played some games that were in the cabinet. There is even a small lobby bar where you can enjoy a drink. Most Residence Inns don't offer all this. I would highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

My family recently stayed in a 2 bedroom suite at the Residence Inn in Worcester, Ma. The room was nice and spacious. The room was clean and the pull out coach worked. The beds were not that comfortable. Not the best for us to get a good nights sleep. Breakfast was great and wifi worked well. Not a bad location to WPI and resturantes to eat dinner.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I was here with a team trip. I was staying in a 1 bedroom suite. The room was clean and well stocked. I love having the kitchen. I felt comfortable using the plates etc as everything was very clean. The bed was very comfortable. While the hotel did not have any BBQ's or open bar because of the holiday weekend, we enjoyed hanging out in the lobby with the fireplace. As we needed to leave early each morning, the hotel extended the breakfast to give us the chance to eat each morning. The staff was very helpful with directions and such. The hotel was very close to everything. I would stay here again.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have in the past stayed at other extended stay style chains with less than stellar results.
This was my first time at a residence inn and I will never go back to any of the others.

It was such a delight to open the door to an immaculate well appointed kitchen, spacious living area and free wifi. I had a corner room with windows on two sides which was to me an added bonus. Front desk staff were extremely warm and welcoming.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo