“Enjoyed this hotel over a typical chain hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Beechwood Hotel

Beechwood Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Worcester
Parkland, Florida
“Enjoyed this hotel over a typical chain hotel”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Was visiting colleges in the area with our two teenagers, and decided to stay in Worcester. Didn't seem like many choices in the area and relied on trip advisor. I read in several reviews that the hotel staff was not very attentive or helpful, but found this to be the opposite. They gave us a great dinner suggestion, and provided directions as we needed them. The only complaint I have is that breakfast was included, but we were too late as we came down at 9am when breakfast ended. Upon check in, I don't remember them telling me the times of breakfast. But they did give us directions to Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts! Our rooms were quaint and homey. We had a fireplace suite that suited us well and we were happy with this room. My children's room was typical of a 2 queen bed room and both were clean and comfortable. This is definitely where we'd stay again if we are in the area!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Debi W
Mario C, General Manager at Beechwood Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear andeb95,

Thank you so much for the very nice review! I am so glad you and the family enjoyed their stay. We truly hope to have you back again the next time you are in the Worcester area!

Mario Cuevas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We (married couple) stayed two nights over a weekend while in Worcester for family business. We found the Beechwood Hotel to be comfortable, refined, and quiet, and suited us nicely. I'd say it is a 3.5-to-4-star property. It feels like a business hotel, but is smaller and quieter.

PROs

Since it's not part of a chain, it doesn't have that one-size-fits-all feel to it, and has some character. For example, the rooms have lots of nice woodwork like crown moulding, custom wooden window covers, etc., that you wouldn't find in a chain. Other small touches: nightlight in the bathroom, automatic light in the closet. It feels more homey and refined than most chains.

The rooms are comfortable and nicely decorated. The bed and other furniture was comfortable. The heat/AC was very good. It was very very quiet both in the room and throughout the hotel. Everything was very clean--with the exception of some furniture (see below). Lighting was very good throughout the room.

Rooms have fridge/mini-bar, ironing board, hairdryer, coffeemaker, robes.

The building is round, so many of the rooms are somewhat pie-shaped and very spacious. The rooms also have some odd angles and nook, but we found this to be a plus, because they were good places to keep suitcases, bags, a cooler, etc., out of the way.

Lots of convenient parking.

We got a great rate: ~$140/night. I would expect to pay around $200 for a room like we had.

CONs

The carpet in our room could be replaced. Also, the chairs, while nice and comfortable, were showing their age, and some dirt, a bit.

In our room (and many of them, as we later found out), the shower curtain rod was mounted too high, such that the shower curtain barely reached the top of the tub. Much of the run-off from the showever curtain ended up on the bathroom floor. They supposedly are fixing this.

Other

The complementary continental breakfast was fairly limited.

The bar/restaurant is nice, a bit upscale, but also a bit pricey.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear vicnroy,

I am delighted to see your posting on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us.

It was a real pleasure reading that your stay was all very well scored.
I was delighted that you enjoyed the accommodations and that you find our hotel to be of your preference.
As you identify, our location is clearly the most ideal for a lot of different occasions. We cater to all markets and business professionals and we thank you for staying at the Beechwood Hotel.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon; our staff awaits for your return,

Cutchogue, New York
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I needed a place to host a family reunion with a restaurant attached for the convenience or not having to travel. Wanted something different than a chain. Our fireplace suite provided us with with space to meet and greet our family members, before retiring to the restaurant where a high quality meal was prepared and served. Room was clean, and quiet located on the 4th floor, and available upon check-in at 3. We called prior to confirm. Lobby was welcoming with a fireplace, and lounge area was vibrant and busy for cocktails. Convenient to Trader Joe's. Only suggestion - our bed in 405 was too soft for our comfort, but that's a personal taste so no black marks here. However the malfunctioning fire alarm at 6:30 in the morning was a bit much. We all assembled in the lobby and listened to screeching noise which lasted for more than a half hour. Apparently not linked to the WFD as they had to be manually called to address the issue and arrived in drips and drabs over the next 20 minutes. Front desk personnel offered no assistance, no announcement , no apology for disrupting the entire hotel. Some check out at that moment in disgust. Wasn't a pleasant experience dragging down bags four flights of stairs. I would have offered a 1/2 price voucher for the inconvenience or a free breakfast. Took an hour to check out the building and then who could go back to sleep after that. But I would return again for the convenience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Mr. ILOONI,

I would like to sincerely thank you very much for your fair review on Tripadvisor, regarding your stay at the Beechwood Hotel.
It is such a great pleasure for my entire team to read your property scores. I really appreciate your compliments regarding CERES Restaurant and you pointing out your preference on mattress firmness.
I want to apologized for my staff not reacting in a more attentive manner during the fire alarm incident but rest assure I make sure to use this comments as training tool for the staff to improve upon.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property very soon.

Kindest regards,

Weymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Rooms are nice, The front desk staff is rude. You voice your concerns about something and they listen to you. They just keep repeating the same answer over and over. They seem to want to talk to you or explain things. Most hotels you get a front clerk yelling across the lobby saying "hello". This place they look at you and go back to chatting with whomever is behind the desk with them. McDonalds is across the street. Go there and save $20 on breakfast. Stale pastry and bagels and a Dixie cup of orange juice not worth the effort

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Bedbugger12
Mario C, General Manager at Beechwood Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Bedbugger12,

Thank you for taking the time to note details of your stay as we take guest feedback very seriously. To ensure appropriate follow-up training takes place with our staff, the hotel held a team meeting with all department heads to discuss what we could have differently and how we can improve our guest experience in future. We absolutely agree your experience is not the quality standard we want to set for our guests and there is no excuse for you to experience anything less than the best. We value your business and hope you will give us an opportunity to make things right during your next visit to the Beechwood Hotel.

Saugus, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We visited the Beechwood hotel on Valentines Day weekend to spend the night near the Hanover Theater where we were seeing a show. It was our first time there and were pleasantly surprised. The property is beautiful with many wood accents and a fireplace in the lobby. We arrived early ahead of an impending storm and were greeted by friendly desk staff. We were assigned a room on the fifth(top) floor and allowed to check in two hours early. The room was clean and spacious. It had a sitting area, desk space with an ipad, and two queen beds. The bathroom was also nice and well stocked with amenities. There were a few snacks and drinks in the room and refrigerator to be purchased, but we just used the free coffee set up in the am.
The free continental breakfast consisted of muffins, sweet breads, bagels, fresh fruits, Danish and cereal and coffee. We opted to add on some bacon and kielbasa to round out the meal. The food was good but the service was lacking.
As a side note we also went to the lounge on Saturday night around 11:00. It was a busy place, well lit and up beat. We chose to try their $5.00 appetizers, Thai chicken wings and flat bread pizza. They were delicious, along with the red sangria.
If we ever find ourselves needing to go to Worcester again, this will be the place we stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Mario C, General Manager at Beechwood Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments from your recent experience at the Beechwood Hotel. I want to personally thank you for your business and welcome you back whenever you are traveling to the Worcester area. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the hotel and we want you to know it was a pleasure serving you.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My stay at the hotel was part of a business trip and was organized through the institution. I wouldn't come back, if I had the choice, considering the price.

The rooms are ok, a little old-fashioned, but they are mostly clean and the free wifi works properly.

A minus is that they don't have any kind of spa, sauna or pool. When I asked, if there is one close by, the receptionist just said: "I don't know. Go google it." There was no one in line and they could have tried to be more friendly.

They have a small room with two or three treadmills and barbells, which can be used as a gym.

They got the order from my institution to charge them for some of my meals. When I checked out I had to tell them about that, because they wanted to charge me. The receptionist pretended to look something up, ignored me then and charged my card without another word. It cost me a couple of days to fix the issue later.

Ceres, their bistro is very pricey, but the service is not on par. The food is ok, but the portions are small.
The breakfast is average. They have the usual plastic apples with water filling, only one kind of jam hidden in the corner and old pastries with multiple layers of sugar as a preservative. If you want juice, you have to ask multiple times, before they give you half a glass.

Overall the staff barely smiles and doesn't say "thanks" and "here you are" very often. When I got to the restaurant the first time a big guy, who works there looked at me, as if he wanted to kill me.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Mario C, General Manager at Beechwood Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Alois M,

Thank you for sharing your candid comments on your stay. I want to begin by apologizing since it saddens me to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations of a luxury hotel. I will address with all my operations management team regarding your comments referring the front desk staff to the meals in the restaurant. I hope that the next time your travels brings you to Worcester that you will give us another opportunity so you can see the changes we have made to exceed your expectations.

Best Regards,

Mario A Cuevas
New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

This was a gorgeous hotel with fantastic service. It was a very good rate, $30 higher than Super 8, but because it was rated #1 on trip advisor and still reasonable I gave it a try. The room had beautiful wood appointments, a spacious bathroom, and cathedral ceilings. Large well equipped exercise room. The staff was most helpful, running one item up to my room. I found the continental breakfast a bit boring with only various beads and coffee. I would ordered something but had to get on the road quickly. Great value, would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank njtraveler52
Dear njtraveler52
Thank you so much for writing such a nice review on our hotel and staff! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was able to take great care of you. We loves hearing comments about our guest’s stay and this is a great one! I will pass all your gracious comments to the staff. We hope that we get the opportunity to take care of you again if your travel brings you to Worcester.

Best regards,