“Very Nice Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bad Axe
gjwoodsjr
“Very Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a friend's wedding. Here I am reading some of the prior comments and wonder if these folks were actually stating in the same hotel I was. From the minute we got there we were greeted pleasantly and checking into the room took a few minutes. After we got up to the room about a half hour later a housekeeper knocked on the door and asked if everything was okay and if we needed anything. No she didn't barge in either. To be honest I did not expect this to be a really nice hotel just because of its location. The room was a nice size and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast had scrambled eggs, french toast, biscuits and gravy, place a pancake machine. This is the first time I had seen this type of pancake machine where you hit a button, put your plate at the other end an after a few minutes 2 pancakes drop out. They were pretty good too. We used the pool and hot tub which was nice after a long drive. All in all I would stay there again if I was to go back to that area.

Just to make it clear, every time we walked by the desk the staff would say hi unless they were waiting on someone, nor would I think of anyone there stating ti someone that they were not welcome back, but hey you always have the complainers. Guess they are looking for a freebie.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband and I traveled to this hotel on business. We chose it because it was the only national chain hotel available in the area. I regret that we did.
The staff was literally the least hospitable staff I have ever encountered. I used to work in the hospitality industry and I would NEVER think of not acknowledging a guest when they walked by. Yet this was our consistent experience over our 2 day stay. The staff wouldn't even look up from their computers to acknowledge us. Not once did someone say "hi" to us.
My husband, who is IHG Platinum Elite, got a late checkout. Clearly the front desk did not communicate this with housekeeping as they kept knocking on our door. We finally just left early.
The hotel is also very outdated and cluttered.
Overall, I feel that the staff at this hotel clearly feel that they have the monopoly on the hotel industry in Bad Axe and don't care what guests think. We won't be returning.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank LLambright
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bad Axe, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear LLambright,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G
Sand Lake, Michigan
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a friend's wedding (booked the group rate), room wasn't ready on time (it was about 30 minutes late, which wasn't a huge deal) but one of the housekeepers barged in on our room to "make sure our room was ready!" We were not thrilled about that, but it is what it is. The room itself was just "ok", nothing special, but it was quiet and seemed clean, so it served it's purpose. Nothing terrible by any means. But nothing spectacular either.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank melaniejean13
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bad Axe, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear melaniejean13,

Thank you for staying with us. We do apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused.

Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason we will follow up with the Executive Housekeeper. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

Awful service...dirty room and Gary is just what everyone else said. I have NEVER gone to a hotel and had to clean my own room!! Botjlh nights same issues. I complained abourlt the filth...i get told by Gary I am no longer welcome there!!! Fine by me!!!

• Stayed October 2012
10 Thank vickie1027
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bad Axe, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear vickie1027,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our sincerest apology for the room accommodations you had and the service you encountered affected your stay negatively. We have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Reviewed 3 September 2013

If you are hosting a wedding in the Thumb, do yourself and your guests a favor and avoid this hotel at all costs... Have them stay at the Franklin Inn. Without beleaguering you with our disappointingly poor experience, I will touch on the problems we had.

There is zero organization and accountability at this hotel - no coordination, email communication, customer service, etc. For example, without notice, 3 weeks prior to the date, all remaining open rooms on our wedding-block were released. Half our guests still had not made reservations and were fighting for space.

They were mainly fighting with the GM, Gary, who would not honor the block rate, was now charging double, and required a 2 night minimum. Gary openly argued at the front desk with several of our guests who, without warning, were charged 2 nights instead of 1. Because there is no accountability or communication, when you call (there is no other way to book) you rely on them for accuracy. Upon checkout, Gary disagreed with several of our guests who booked for 1 night at the block rate and charged them for 2. Gary felt entitled to do this because of the limited options in Bad Axe, the festival taking place the same weekend, and because it was his word against ours.

Before the ceremony and during the reception, I was on the phone with the hotel to try and fix the nearly dozen issues we were facing... 2 people actually had to stay in the conference room on cots (after pleading with the hotel).

The most disheartening part - when my bride checked into our room the morning of the wedding (which by the way was not comped) and kindly asked Gary to fix the issues, he threatened to kick her out of her room. "Maybe this isn't the hotel for you"... As if to say, too bad, it's last minute and take it or leave it.

Do yourself a favor... Stay somewhere else.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank Ryan C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bad Axe, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Dear Ryan C,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Bad Axe.

Orlando A.
GrandRapids
Reviewed 2 September 2013

If you don't come in contact with the owner, Gary, your stay will probably be okay. Not only was he rude to myself, but I observed him in arguments with other guests in the lobby during my stay. Its sad that he can get away with acting that way. I grew up in Bad Axe, and it makes me so sad to think that he is setting an example for the community. I don't think he cares if he is rude because there aren't many options and they book up fast. Its like he's running a monopoly and is holding all the cards... he is the owner in a small town that has a limited number of lodging options. He's not afraid to threaten you in terms of releasing your room if you aren't agreeable. It sounds like the area hotels are often full on weekends and he's not afraid to use that card against you if there is a disagreement. Such a crooked businessman. I scanned through the other reviews and was not surprised to see his name mentioned. It makes me so sick to think that he is acting so rude and still making a lot of money every weekend because of the demand for rooms. He basically says, if you don't like it leave. So ungrateful for anyones business.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Erica c
Dear Erica c,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Canton, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This hotel was a good value in comparison to some of the privately owned hotels in the area that charge the same price $95/night and don't offer the same amenities. The beds were very comfortable, working AC, complimentary breakfast included, and great pools.

Only negative was the customer service. Aside from the lovely woman who was working the breakfast buffet, the front desk staff seemed very stiff and borderline rude. I walked up to check in and the manager was working on something else and it took him about 2 minutes to even look up and acknowledge me at the counter (he was standing right in front of me).

I would recommend a refresher course in providing pleasant customer service.

Would definitely book this hotel again based on everything else.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Harbor Beach
Bad Axe Motel
Bad Axe Motel
#2 of 2 in Bad Axe

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bad Axe? Share your experiences!