“Small town charm”
Review of Franklin Inn

Franklin Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bad Axe
Franklin Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Bad Axe
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Not many options in Bad Axe, but i would definitely recommend this motel over the big name brand hotel. This motel is cozy and clean. It has a restaurant connected to it with a great Buffett dinner. My mouth is watering thinking about the fish. Not opulent, but a great place to stay for the night.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Erica c

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I would absolutely work with Franklin Inn for weddings... Do not use Holiday Inn. We had a terrible experience with Holiday Inn and wish we would have gone w Franklin per past experiences w family's weddings.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Ryan C
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The Thumb of Michigan is flat, rural, farming territory now peppered with hundreds (?) of huge windmills. Though its shoreline perimeter attracts visitors, the area in general is not a major tourist destination, and consequently, not populated by very many motels. Bad Axe is the hub of commercial activity, with most of it on the north edge of town. I probably drove by the Franklin Inn (on the east edge) hundreds of times many years back when I lived nearby, or when I later visited routinely. At that time, the Franklin was the only "premier" overnight in Bad Axe. It no longer holds that distinction, but on a recent trip to the Thumb we found it to be clean, comfortable, and convenient. Yes, the rooms are spartan and the overall motel is in need of a makeover, but if you are just looking for a place to crash and not to have an "experience", it suits that need well. And compared to the couple of big name hotels now in town, you will save some bucks as well. Did not try the restaurant, but was impressed with its size / appearance. They must do a pretty good business to keep it going. Desk staff have definitely not mastered the science of hospitality, but at least they were not rude. Overall, it was a pretty good value compared to the few alternatives available.

Room Tip: Rooms in the east wing are a bit more isolated and might be more desirable.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dale K
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I booked a room here for my boyfriend and I on our road-trip around Lake Huron because of the reviews on TripAdvisor, and was not disappointed. Most other motels in the area have 2-night booking requirements during the summer, and the "chain" hotel in Bad Axe was full.

When we pulled up, I wondered if we'd arrived at a motel or a bowling alley... but don't let the exterior fool you. The service was prompt and friendly--even at 3:30AM when an alarm was repeatedly going off in the room next to ours. The room was quaint, but the fridge was useful and the Wi-Fi worked perfectly.

The Sunday breakfast buffet was amazing... and delicious. We didn't eat dinner at the Franklin Inn, but I would definitely stay there again to try! A great value all around. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a place to stay near Bad Axe.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Evelyn S
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Accommodations were antiquated, but homely, the scenery/deers made it nice. the convenience of the restaurant made the stay better. a little pricey for the amenities and of course lower than surrounding chain hotels. will stay again, hopefully will have rate specials :-)

Room Tip: no upgrades. no amenities i.e. fitness, pool, hot tub...not sure about laundry. banquet facility ver...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Droopi711
Reviewed 4 August 2012

On the east edge of town and much nicer and cozier than the "chain" hotels/motels north of town. Will definitely stay here on future visits. The city and all surrounding areas were a treat from "big city life"------wish I could reside in area year round.

Room Tip: Great small town friendly service and the restaraunt on premises was awesome !
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My husband and I stayed for a little over a week and I was so pleased with our room. The room was very clean and the hotel staff was very accommodating. We were having family issues and there were days I felt like I was being a pain, but they never made me feel like I was bothering them. It was refreshing to find people that still know what customer service is!

Resturant was nice and buffet was good. Sunday buffet was the best I have seen in a long time. We didnt use it, but I did see the banquet rooms and they were huge. Looked great.

Unfortunately there was one thing that I was not happy about with our stay here, and that is the office personnel. There was alot of different people that we saw within our stay but a couple of them really need to be replaced. VERY RUDE! I was asking simple questions and the one gentlman (didnt get his name) treated me like I was a huge bother. The other one was a lady ( I believe her name was Doris??). I went up to check if we could extend our stay by 2 days and I got a "pardon me", like I was supposed to ask, not tell her. She was very snooty.

Room Tip: Rooms in front are huge!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
#2 of 2 in Bad Axe
Harbor Beach Inn
Harbor Beach Inn
#1 of 1 in Harbor Beach

Been to Franklin Inn? Share your experiences!