“Clean, Quiet, but not so friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Baraga Lakeside Inn

Baraga Lakeside Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Baraga
Marquette, Michigan
“Clean, Quiet, but not so friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

When we checked in there was no hello nothing we had to start the conversation with the desk person. We paid at check-in but was told we could not get a receipt until check-out...strange. Our room was very clean and spacious. It had an amazing view of the lake! The beds were pretty comfortable but even with a big tournament in town, the rooms and hotel were very quiet for sleeping. The restaurant had good food for the most part. At check out the desk person didn't even look at us, ask us how our stay was or if there were any issues...I have learned over the years that service is not an amenity...don't look for it here. :( Other than that it was a good stay but I might think twice next time because of the service.

Room Tip: Choose the lake side top floor
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pamela M
Sue B, General Manager at Baraga Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Baraga Lakeside Inn. I am very pleased that you were happy with your stay and I appreciate your comments regarding the service. We pride ourselves in our outstanding guest service and we use all comments in our on going training when a guest does not receive the service that meets our standards.. We hope that you will stay with us again when you are in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
New Ulm, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

We were on a bike trip with a group of people. We stayed at Baraga Lakeside Inn for 2 nights & it was perfect. Location was great, view was beautiful, loved the swings by the water, & used the grill for dinner the 2nd night. Restaurant was also good. Food was great & service was quick. Thank you!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JamieKP
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

We arrived on 7/1/2013 and departed on 7/5/2013. I paid $84.59 per night for a lakeside room (room 305). The view of the lake is beautiful. The room was clean and no glaring spots on the carpet. Also, the bathroom was nice and clean. The walls must be thin because I could hear lots of noise from room 304 for my first 2 nights. I had to wear ear plugs in order to sleep those nights. FYI...they play music in the hallway and the speaker was right outside of my door. I could hear the music in my room in the morning while trying to read. I asked them to turn it down and they turned it off which was nice. There is a business center (it is called the Pre-Function room) but it is not obvious to find. If you are facing the front desk, it is to the right of the front desk and next to the laundry room. There is 1 computer in there with a printer. It was nice to be able to print my boarding pass there. I found the WiFi to be slow and intermittent in my room. My biggest complaint was the mattress. It was pretty firm. I have problems with my lower back and I had a hard time sleeping. I talked to the front desk about the problem and they added 2 more pads to the mattress and that helped a little bit. The mattress and the box springs look old. I didn't make my review rating Average because the mattress in my mother's room did not bother her (it was the same firm mattress). Normally, I sleep on a pillowtop mattress. Also, the chairs in the room were uncomfortable. I like to spend time reading in the morning before starting the day and it was uncomfortable to sit too long in the chair. FYI...there is no free breakfast. For $84.59 per night for a lakeside room, you are probably not going to find a better value though. Unless, they replace the mattresses with more comfortable mattresses like pillowtop mattresses, I will probably not stay there again. That is too bad because I liked everything else about this place other than the mattress and chair.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelinManTexas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights. I have no complaints about this hotel. The beds were comfortable, spotless room, the bathroom looked like it had been recently updated. The lakeside view was beautiful! The restaurant attached was very good, nice staff members and fast food! I would stay there again! I read other reviews about people saying they dislike how there isn't a breakfast included; the rooms for how nice they are and lake view, it is a very good value. The room I was in had a microwave and a mini fridge. So I just went to the market and threw food items in the fridge.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Thenims
Sue B, General Manager at Baraga Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to the area. We are pleased that your stay was enjoyable. Please stop in and see us again when you are in our area.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

Had an excellent experience at the Baraga Lakeside Inn. A group of us were on a motorcycle trip around the UP and booked two nights here at the middle of our trip. After an unpleasant experience with the past hotel's restaurant, we were leary of what the next one had in store.

The hotel restaurant staff was pleasant and the food was great! Rooms were very clean and the bathrooms were nicely updated! I stayed back one day to relax and I felt safe and very comfy resting in and outside of the hotel area.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank jtharris
Thank you for staying with us while in our area. We hope that you will be back to see us soon.
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

I stayed here during a work trip at the recommendation of a colleague. The rooms were clean, spacious and quiet. The staff was friendly as well. I didn't do anything other than sleep though so can't comment on much else.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Julie J
Thank you for staying with us while in Baraga. We hope that you will be able to come back an enjoy our area real soon.
Elkhart, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We needed a place for the night and while reading our Hunt's Map Guide to the Upper Peninsula, this hotel was mentioned as a Best Western. It was well priced and right on the water. The pool was great, but I agree with the other reviews there needs to be a continental breakfast offered, I didn't even think to ask upon check-in because most hotels include this. Clean room but did smell like cigarette smoke when we walked in. All and all nice place.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kjmbdm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraga
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton
#3 of 4 in Baraga
Super 8 Houghton
Super 8 Houghton
#2 of 7 in Houghton

Been to Baraga Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!