“Desk Clerk With Attitude” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Baraga Lakeside Inn

Baraga Lakeside Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Baraga
Memphis, Tennessee
“Desk Clerk With Attitude”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

I made my reservation by phone directly with the hotel. The person I spoke with had told me that was the last room available as 40 people on a bus tour were staying that same night. So I specifically asked for a room on the opposite end of the hallway from the elevator.

When I got to my room it was one door from the elevator. I asked the desk clerk to change my room as this was not what I had reserved. She told me in no uncertain terms there were no other rooms, they were full. I asked her to give me a room for someone who had not checked in yet. No, they were full. She also took great delight in telling me I would be billed for the room, even if I did not use it.

In all my years of traveling on business I knew this person was just too lazy to change the room, or did not know how. Very disappointing having to deal with people like this.

Since the closest available hotel was 70 to Marquette MI, and I needed to be in Calumet MI the next morning, which was 40 in the opposite direction, I kept the room.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if at all possible.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GilB867
Sue B, General Manager at Baraga Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for your comments and I apologize for your unpleasant experience at our hotel. I will be sharing your comments with all those involved. We do hope you will stay with us again in the future so you can experience the service we are so proud of.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Wakefield, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had a view from a window...the pillows were absolutely terrible but room was clean and fairly quiet, as was full with no vacancy...food in restaurant was good and prices were not gouging but watching the storm come in was great...service was adequate and friendly. Great location with a small marina. Jacuzzi needs cleaning...foamed terribly but exercise room was good.

Room Tip: You pay a bit more for a room with a window view only...No balcony...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank culaugh2012
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Friendly staff and clean room! The hotel is a little dated, but it was a nice place to spend the night. It's centrally located to many great things to see in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It's on the Keweenaw Bay of Lake Superior, there are many attractions right in the immediate area, but also not far from many of the other great attractions of the Keweenaw Peninsula. There is a restaurant onsite which serves until 10 p.m. There is a small pool and hot tub as well as an exercise room. We paid an extra $5 for the "lake view", but it was cloudy so we didn't get to see a spectacular sunrise.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Northerngirlnomore
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Went to visit friends in the UP of Michigan over the weekend. Stayed at Baraga Lakeside Inn and had a beautiful room, very clean and a very nice view. Would definately stay there again. The desk clerks at check in and check out were very friendly too!

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor facing the lake. Very nice!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sue B, General Manager at Baraga Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thank you for staying with us while in our area. I hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon. Come and enjoy the beautiful colors of autumn that will be here shortly!
Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Wife and I stayed here 3 nights in the king suite overlooking the bay. Everything about our stay was perfect. Great view, clean large room, lounge and restaurant. Highly recommended for an up north stay.

Room Tip: King suite is worth the upgrade
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IndyRon
Marquette, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

When we checked in there was no hello nothing we had to start the conversation with the desk person. We paid at check-in but was told we could not get a receipt until check-out...strange. Our room was very clean and spacious. It had an amazing view of the lake! The beds were pretty comfortable but even with a big tournament in town, the rooms and hotel were very quiet for sleeping. The restaurant had good food for the most part. At check out the desk person didn't even look at us, ask us how our stay was or if there were any issues...I have learned over the years that service is not an amenity...don't look for it here. :( Other than that it was a good stay but I might think twice next time because of the service.

Room Tip: Choose the lake side top floor
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pamela M
Sue B, General Manager at Baraga Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Baraga Lakeside Inn. I am very pleased that you were happy with your stay and I appreciate your comments regarding the service. We pride ourselves in our outstanding guest service and we use all comments in our on going training when a guest does not receive the service that meets our standards.. We hope that you will stay with us again when you are in the area.
New Ulm, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

We were on a bike trip with a group of people. We stayed at Baraga Lakeside Inn for 2 nights & it was perfect. Location was great, view was beautiful, loved the swings by the water, & used the grill for dinner the 2nd night. Restaurant was also good. Food was great & service was quick. Thank you!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JamieKP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraga
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton
#3 of 4 in Baraga
Super 8 Houghton
Super 8 Houghton
#2 of 7 in Houghton

Been to Baraga Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!