“Best Bet In Baraga/L'Anse”

and 1 more site!
Baraga Lakeside Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Baraga
Michigan, USA
“Best Bet In Baraga/L'Anse”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I had a 3rd (top) floor corner room with a king bed and a small balcony. The room was spacious and clean and the bed very comfortable. The hotel was nearly full during my stay, but my room quiet. The balcony is tiny, tiny, tiny with no furniture, but it offers a beautiful view of L'Anse Bay (one of the few in the hotel that does). It was nice to sleep with the slider open.

What is it with hotels and balconies? There's no love. Most times they're like an afterthought to the building; rarely are they maintained and if they even have furniture it's old, rusty and broken-down--even at top beachfront hotels. Lakeside Inn is the same. Tiny balconies (and not very many of them) and small windows; it's a building built for the suburban expressway interchange; one that takes very little advantage of a fabulous location.

Anyway, I made my reservation over the phone, the person on the other end was friendly and the process smooth. Check in/out was hassle-free as well; in fact all the staff I had interaction with were very friendly.

In the restaurant, food and view were decent. There's an outdoor patio that appears to never be used. There's a bar, too, but it's kind of closet-like in the middle of the building with no windows--not very inviting.

Overall, for cleanliness of the room, comfort of the bed, friendliness of staff, I'll give the Baraga Lakeside Inn high marks.

Room Tip: The hotel is directly on the water, however the building takes almost no advantage of a spectacular...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This was our third stay here in two years. The staff is fabulous; easy to work with. Our room was very clean; bedding was wonderful. Located right on the bay, it was nice to be able to walk out to the water. Tiny bar with fun bartender and great drinks.
We ate in the restaurant at all three visits. The dining room is beautiful. The first time, the service was fantastic; the food was OK. Second restaurant visit was only fair. Service and food were bland. This time, it was absolutely horrible. Server was horrible. So rude. Food was horrible. Inedible. Our pre-formed, grey colored burger had to have gone from a freezer box to a microwave. However, we had already had drinks at the bar so didn't want to drive.

We would definitely stay there again. In fact, we are looking forward to it. We just won't eat there again. There are many restaurants within a few miles. Unless they make major staff changes in the dining room and make significant improvements in the quality/freshness of the food they serve, we will drive to eat somewhere else first, then stop by their bar for a nightcap.
Four plus stars for the hotel and administrative staff. Great folks. Comfy rooms. Negative four for the restaurant staff and food. Eat elsewhere.

2 Thank JaneandRogerHolm
Sue B, General Manager at Baraga Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for staying with us. I am very sorry that your experience in our restaurant was unpleasant. It will be addressed with the staff and they will be out to prove their improvements for you on your return.
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I made my reservation by phone directly with the hotel. The person I spoke with had told me that was the last room available as 40 people on a bus tour were staying that same night. So I specifically asked for a room on the opposite end of the hallway from the elevator.

When I got to my room it was one door from the elevator. I asked the desk clerk to change my room as this was not what I had reserved. She told me in no uncertain terms there were no other rooms, they were full. I asked her to give me a room for someone who had not checked in yet. No, they were full. She also took great delight in telling me I would be billed for the room, even if I did not use it.

In all my years of traveling on business I knew this person was just too lazy to change the room, or did not know how. Very disappointing having to deal with people like this.

Since the closest available hotel was 70 to Marquette MI, and I needed to be in Calumet MI the next morning, which was 40 in the opposite direction, I kept the room.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if at all possible.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GilB867
Thank you for your comments and I apologize for your unpleasant experience at our hotel. I will be sharing your comments with all those involved. We do hope you will stay with us again in the future so you can experience the service we are so proud of.
Ironwood, Michigan
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had a view from a window...the pillows were absolutely terrible but room was clean and fairly quiet, as was full with no vacancy...food in restaurant was good and prices were not gouging but watching the storm come in was great...service was adequate and friendly. Great location with a small marina. Jacuzzi needs cleaning...foamed terribly but exercise room was good.

Room Tip: You pay a bit more for a room with a window view only...No balcony...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank culaugh2012
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Friendly staff and clean room! The hotel is a little dated, but it was a nice place to spend the night. It's centrally located to many great things to see in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It's on the Keweenaw Bay of Lake Superior, there are many attractions right in the immediate area, but also not far from many of the other great attractions of the Keweenaw Peninsula. There is a restaurant onsite which serves until 10 p.m. There is a small pool and hot tub as well as an exercise room. We paid an extra $5 for the "lake view", but it was cloudy so we didn't get to see a spectacular sunrise.

1 Thank Northerngirlnomore
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Went to visit friends in the UP of Michigan over the weekend. Stayed at Baraga Lakeside Inn and had a beautiful room, very clean and a very nice view. Would definately stay there again. The desk clerks at check in and check out were very friendly too!

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor facing the lake. Very nice!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Sue B, General Manager at Baraga Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thank you for staying with us while in our area. I hope that you will be able to stay with us again soon. Come and enjoy the beautiful colors of autumn that will be here shortly!
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Wife and I stayed here 3 nights in the king suite overlooking the bay. Everything about our stay was perfect. Great view, clean large room, lounge and restaurant. Highly recommended for an up north stay.

Room Tip: King suite is worth the upgrade
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IndyRon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baraga
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houghton
#3 of 4 in Baraga
Super 8 Houghton
Super 8 Houghton
#2 of 7 in Houghton

Been to Baraga Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!