“If you are a hooker or crackhead you would fit right in!”

Econo Lodge Battle Creek
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Battle Creek
Battle Creek, Michigan
“If you are a hooker or crackhead you would fit right in!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had to stay there for a few months because we got screwed over on a house we were getting, and the rooms smell like smoke, (even though ur not suppose to smoke in there) the bedding was nasty dirty, stains on the carpet, walls, and even light fixtures, loud music til 4-5 am, drunk people falling into you're door and knocking on you're door, prostitutes was doing business in the rooms (very noticeable), drugs being dealt in the hallways & outside, people from the streets would just walk up to you're opened window & ask for drugs/alcohol/money etc, the front desk does not understand/speak english, they don't care about the complaints, there was suppose to be breakfast there but usually had NOTHING there. They had a crazy man staying there they scared people away but they didn't care. Mold in the tub, dirty nasty towels, Housekeeping never came to our door 1 time! Cops there EVERY day/night/minute!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Rachael W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I had a great experience with this hotel, although others clearly didn't. What I experienced was a great room with good TV, microwave, fridge, and fast WiFi. Beds were very comfy. Bathroom seemed OK, but I didn't use the shower so I can't comment on that. Price was incredibly cheap, which is what drew me. Also, it's a Choice Hotel. Security outside did seem to be an issue, but not inside. I didn't know breakfast was included, but with that price, I didn't care. The guy at the front desk handed me a bagel with cream cheese as I was walking out, which I thought was hilarious. But if I'd been expecting breakfast, I'd be pretty pissed. I'd go back there again. The price is right, and the room was a lot better than some of the Choice Hotels I've stayed at at twice the price.

Room Tip: I had a room that had a good TY, microwave, and fridge and freezer. I don't know if all of the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Linda B
Toronto
Reviewed 17 July 2013

When did hotels like this become such dives and $50/night is not cheap. I expect some minimum level of quality for that price and this hotel didn't have it.

The only two positive things I can say about this hotel are the following...

Pros:
- The room is clean but I use the term "clean" loosely.. at least there were no bugs.
- Accepts pets and had a patch of grass to walk dogs.

Cons:
- It had a fridge but it was so gross inside I didn't want to put anything in it. The microwave was functional.
- The free breakfast wasn't even worth eating but the coffee was decent.
- There was only a shower, no tub and there were cracked tiles everywhere.
- Found a guy passed out in the hallway.
- Shady people coming in and out all the time.
- There was an exposed electrical outlet near the bed (no faceplate).
- No garbage cans anywhere to dispose of doggie waste.
- AC had two settings, off or frigid. The wall control didn't work.
- Night staff friendly, day staff weren't.

I would only stay at this hotel again if it was the only one available within a 30 mile radius of where I needed to be. Unfortunately you don't know what you don't know until you check-in and the booking I made was non-refundable. I went so far as to contact the city of Battle Creek regarding the safety hazard of the exposed electrical outlet and the shady wiring for the AC. :-S

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank Karen N

Travellers are raving about these Battle Creek hotels

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 10 May 2013

This is not a place for someone who cannot walk stairs. The only way in without steps is thru the back. The shower is a stall shower. I had to ask for breakfast. They brought me a prepackaged muffins. Definitely not very good in understanding English. There were cobwebs in the corners. The bath math had black spots on it.
There is a fruit and veg, market next store.
You get what you pay for here. Cheap room if you don't care about anything else.

Room Tip: use back entrance if you are handicapped and walk thru hotel to lobby.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank prychid
South Haven, Michigan
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We arrived at 3:00 in the afternoon to Police cars in the parking lot. I ask at the desk what was going on, the clerk had very little english skills other then $44.00 for the room, not sure what it was all about. I also asked the clerk where the Arena was, he did not know of any Arena. As we entered the facility the hallway and room were dark, musty and cold. Took a while to figure out how to get heat on in the room. I was going to call the desk and ask, but did not want to pay $44.00 again. The drain plug in the shower was not operational and stuck in the down position. Not sure how they got the water out of the tub ? Place served its purpose though, very convenient location to Kellogg Arena, about a 1/2 block away, you can see it from the front desk. The Battle Creek Policeman was very helpful pointing it out to us.

Room Tip: Bring a weapon !
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mike M
Commerence
Reviewed 3 December 2012

If you are looking for a place to spend the night for business, going to the casino or a show at the arena the price is reasonable for the area. The rooms are clean and have been update with flat screen tv's, atleast in the rooms I've been in. They have replaced the carpet, which it needed, in the rooms and hallways. Also, they have been keeping a better clientel over the the last few months. They have made significant changes in the way they had been managing this place, which has improved and is alot better. There is no pool or fitness center and no frillls other than it is close to Downtown, Full Blast Waterpark, Kellogg Arena, Bars, Shopping, Train and Bus stations and it is only about a 10 minute drive to the Firekeepers Casino. It is not a place I would bring my family to for vacation, but for a business stay and if you're looking not to spend a fortune on a place to store your luggage, then I would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We had reservation there, but when we drove by we decided to cancel. The looks on the outside was horrible. The neighbor hood felt unsafe. The steady transaction we saw in parking lot said two female should not go in. I'm not sure if we would have with a male was with us. After ready review afterward we where glad we did not stay. Next time we read reviews prior to making reservations. ; (

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family