“Good service, food needs work”

Harvey's Grill and Bar
Ranked #13 of 185 Restaurants in Bay City
Price range: US$7 - US$26
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: "An elevated dining experience for any occasion." Hand-Pattied Burgers • Chicken, Steaks & Fish • Salads & Pasta • Martinis • 27 Degree Draft Beers • Frozen Drinks • Full Bar • Brunch
Reviewed 29 May 2010

I've gone to this restaurant a few times (mostly due to it's proximity to other activities,) and while the service has always been excellent, the food has always been lacking (especially for the price.) I've tried several menu items, because I'd like to find something good to go with my beer for the night (of which they have a decent selection,) but I haven't found it. As for price, pretty much everything is about 10-20% higher than should be expected for the quality. Foods and problems to follow:

Burger (soon after restaurant's opening): Dry and overcooked. Appreciated the beer more for its lubricating effect than taste.
Chicken Panini: Decent, but pre-grilled chicken breast strips were a little off-putting.
French Onion soup (on special): Utilized outer onion layer sheets for the soup. Cheap way to make it, and spoiled an otherwise decent broth. Expensive for the quantity.
Asparagus and Alfredo Pasta (also a special): Good concept, poor execution. Sauce was serviceable, but no asparagus tips in food, just stalks (again, a cheap way to make the dish, buying no-tip stalks from food service.) Once again, chicken "strips" were not cut from a whole breast. Roll provided was laughable; cold, dry and with no butter provided to make it palatable.

Whoever stated that they made things from scratch was mistaken. Many of these dishes are food service staples that are poorly executed. Sadly, the management really knows how to handle hospitality, they just need someone in the kitchen that knows food.

Reviewed 18 November 2009

The service was great, Food was ok, I had the salmon and the sauce was a bit to spicy for my taste, it said sweet and tangy were it should of said sweet and spicy. The portions were ok but not large. Should have been served with some bread or a roll. Over all it was fine and well priced.

Reviewed 21 September 2009

We were staying in the area for 1 night and our hotel staff recommended Harvey's. The parking lot was packed, however, with extra covered outdoor seating, there was no wait. We had great service, and our food was delightful. My boyfriend was starving, so he got a double decker burger and onion rings (which were HUGE and delicious!) and said it was really good. I opted for the Grilled Chicken with a Cherry Sauce and Candied Walnuts. Great combination; never would've thought of it myself but it was delicious, with red skin mashed potatoes. We would definitely visit again if in the area just to try something new there!

Reviewed 16 September 2009

Both times I dined at Harvey's I was a guest of someone else. The hamburger was so huge I could NOT get my mouth around it. I had two bites and left it. It was not that good, The second time was a birthday present. My friends had fish, it did not look all that appitizing. My sterak was cook to the exact specifications, however, there was a ton of an awful sauce all over the meat and entirely spoiled the steak. That's it for me. I will never go back, even if it is a free meal.

Reviewed 2 September 2009

The food was great, and seemed to be made from scratch. They were very accomodating to our special requests. The mojitos were AWESOME. Decor was attractive and clean, but not pretentious. The wait staff was attentive but not clingy, and very professional. We really enjoyed our evening there.