“Great Day for Sailing”
Review of Bay Sail

Bay Sail
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Join us for an unforgettable sailing experience on the Great Lakes aboard the schooners Appledore IV & Appledore V, owned and operated by BaySail in Bay City, Michigan. BaySail offers a variety of programs aboard our ships including Science Under Sail for 3rd-12th grade students, public sails featuring lunch/dinner options, private charter outings and more! Visit our website for more information and a complete schedule of our seasonal programs. Feeling more adventurous? Contact us about Windward Bound, our week-long youth sail training voyages -- your chance to leave the land behind and experience life on the Great Lakes!
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We decide to go sailing when in town for the Tall Ships Celebration. The biggest complaint heard from everyone was the lack of directional signs. Also the ticket information had the ship at it's home port on the other side of the river. The event staff really did not seem to know where the ship was located. Once at the ship there was no "Will Call" just everyone asking each other if we were in the right place. Not well organized. However once on the ship we had a great time sailing out into the harbor. It was cool at 9am but quickly the temps rose into the 80's. A great day for sailing.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband & I took the lunch cruise out onto Saginaw Bay. The lunch was simple and just perfect. I wish they would have had more water bottles, make sure to pack you own to make sure if you don't like pop. Besides that, the trip went smooth and a nice relaxing way to spend an afternoon. We learned a little area history along the way too. Nice!

2  Thank sportmom1966
Reviewed 10 February 2013

My husband and I went with our 3 grandsons, ages 10, 7 and 4 on an educational trip with a mixed group of people. The guides were very informative, the trip was delightful, weather warm. Only one volunteer on the ship was off on some of her details of the bay, water quality, etc., all the other people were extremely professional, fun and catered to our grandchildren without neglecting the adults. It was GREAT!

1  Thank Sher B
Reviewed 21 November 2012

It was relaxing, the weather was nice, perfect for being on the lake. The lunch was "simple", perfect for sitting was watching the scenery. I wished it sailed faster, a bit slow for my liking.

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 October 2012

My wife and I had booked the Appledore for our wedding. The day of was great, but beware of booking with Roger, it was by far the worst experience we had in the process of planning our wedding. Our experience with the crew aboard the Appledore was excellent. However, we found Roger Nugent to be extremely unprofessional, rude, and condescending. Roger failed to respond to multiple phone calls and emails in a timely manor (sometimes literally months), misrepresented himself, we found him to be petty (we initially chose to have the Baysail handle our catering arrangements, however we had placed a request with Roger to set up a tasting with our selected caterer and literally 3 months went by without Roger contacting us or the caterer. We then decided to handle the catering on our own and at that point it appeared that Roger became extremely petty and began to make the process extremely painful for our caterer). Also the day before the wedding I confirmed with Roger that there would be electrical outlets available to plug in some rope lights we had purchased to go around the railing and that there was the capabilities to hook up an iPod so we could have music during our cruise. Roger confirmed this 100% but upon boarding the Captain informed us that the power converter had been broken a long time ago and there were not even speakers hooked up. I would like to again say that our negative experience was strictly limited to Roger, and our experience with other staff (Ciara and crew onboard) was excellent. At this time we are unlikely to recommend Appledore to anyone either for dinner runs, charters, or donations as long as Roger Nugent is an integral part of Baysail.

4  Thank Matt M