“A Three Hour Cruise”
Review of Bay Sail

Bay Sail
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Join us for an unforgettable sailing experience on the Great Lakes aboard the schooners Appledore IV & Appledore V, owned and operated by BaySail in Bay City, Michigan. BaySail offers a variety of programs aboard our ships including Science Under Sail for 3rd-12th grade students, public sails featuring lunch/dinner options, private charter outings and more! Visit our website for more information and a complete schedule of our seasonal programs. Feeling more adventurous? Contact us about Windward Bound, our week-long youth sail training voyages -- your chance to leave the land behind and experience life on the Great Lakes!
Reviewed 17 July 2013

No, not THAT three hour cruise. But, 'Lovey' and I did enjoy a great evening aboard Appledore IV. The ship is stable and sails smoothly. The crew is friendly and converse freely about their life on board, what brought them to the Appledore IV, and future plans. We enjoyed getting to know the crew a bit.
They start by motoring for quite awhile down river. Once we reached Saginaw Bay, the sails are raised. You can choose to assist in raising sails or not. Once the sail are up and filled, the engine is killed. The quiet, relaxing sail begins.
Take a camera! The sunset is gorgeous. The sails are beautiful.The ship is beautiful. The rigging is interesting.
We left on the evening cruise at 7 o'clock and returned about 10:30. I have to believe the Tall Ships Celebration made a big impact on the access to the park and traffic. Normally parking would be nearby and convenient to the Appledore IV.
No one on our sail got motion sick. Go! You'll have a great time.

2  Thank Greg L
AppledoreIV, Manager at Bay Sail, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Thank you for joining us on the Appledore IV! We are thrilled that you had a memorable time!

Scott Ellis
Program Coordinator

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I just tried to reserve two spots on a sail. The company's web site clearly stated that there was space available, but their on line booking partner would not allow the sale.

I called the ship directly, to be told by Scott Ellis, the program and Ticket Coordinator, that the number of tickets showing on their web site is not accurate, as he has to update it manually and not had a chance to do so.

I booked lodging and dining around this activity, and am now dealing with trying to get out of the lodging reservation policies too.

I would never have done this had I been warned about the possibility of the information on their web site not being accurate. Scott could have made an exception to get one additional person on board.

He was friendly and patient on the phone, but his poor web site has potentially ruined our weekend.

2  Thank JimJPC

Jim,

Unfortunately, no exception could be made to accommodate another person on board. We have a strict limit on the number of passengers allowed on the vessel, as set by the US Coast Guard. When capacity is reached, no one else gets on.

I do hope you were able to have an enjoyable weekend and thank you for taking the time to review the Appledore IV.

Scott Ellis

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We decide to go sailing when in town for the Tall Ships Celebration. The biggest complaint heard from everyone was the lack of directional signs. Also the ticket information had the ship at it's home port on the other side of the river. The event staff really did not seem to know where the ship was located. Once at the ship there was no "Will Call" just everyone asking each other if we were in the right place. Not well organized. However once on the ship we had a great time sailing out into the harbor. It was cool at 9am but quickly the temps rose into the 80's. A great day for sailing.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband & I took the lunch cruise out onto Saginaw Bay. The lunch was simple and just perfect. I wish they would have had more water bottles, make sure to pack you own to make sure if you don't like pop. Besides that, the trip went smooth and a nice relaxing way to spend an afternoon. We learned a little area history along the way too. Nice!

2  Thank sportmom1966