“Work in progress”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Bay City
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was disappointed when we pulled up to this motel. The exterior is in sad shape but is being updated. The lobby was in the process of being overhauled, but our rooms were very nice. We had a queen bed, 2 "easy chairs", table & desk chair, sliding door to the outside where there were 2 more chairs. Our rooms were clean and quiet. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast bar was very nice serving waffles & fresh fruit & pastries & bagels & cereals & juices & coffees. The only thing I would like to have had was yogurt. Maybe next time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Aashish P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words! I'm very happy that you enjoyed the breakfast options provided! We hope you visit us again in the future! Thanks again for your Business!!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

It was 1:30 am when we arrived because the Econo Lodge in Flint had given our room away (despite the online reservation and confirmation number), so we really only needed a place to lay our heads for the night. This was just that. The hotel itself is pretty run down. Carpet had recently been laid, but not finished in all areas. The bed was comfortable though, with modern bedding, TV and furniture. Room seemed clean. Some fixes (like plaster not being sanded and painted) had been started, but not completed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Econo Lodge in Bay City. We greatly appreciate your comments. I apologize for the work has not been finished and I understand that it is not good for our performance. We haven't finished our renovation yet but we will make sure there will be no unfinished work once we done. Thank you so much for alerting me to this situation. Thanks again for sharing and please stay with us on your next visit to Bay City.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The family that runs the place is slowly fixing it up. When I drove up I was concerned. Once I got in the hall I saw new lighting, new carpets, etc. When I opened the door to my room I found a clean, large, quiet place to sleep. Price was great. Not many dining choices nearby though. Breakfast was really good.

Room Tip: Upper had balconies, lowers patios. I'd stay upstairs although depending on te room, the walk t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SenseIntoDollars

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and breakfast.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed here twice last September on my way to and from a vacation in Toronto. The outside is very run down and there's not much around the motel, however, I saw greeted with friendly service inside. The beds creeked but were comfortable, and the refrigerator clicked all night. Being on a tight budget, we opted to stay here again.

We came back a few days later after returning to the US and stayed overnight before returning home to Wisconsin. Same creeky beds, slightly less clicking of the fridge.

Before heading out, we stopped to enjoy the continental breakfast. The door to the "pantry" was open, and I noticed insects crawling up and down the walls. We closed the door.
Shortly after, another guest dropped his cereal on the floor after noticing ants crawling in it. Ants were also in the ceral containers themselves. We immediately packed up to leave; as we were pulling away the cereal was removed and disposed of.

I emailed managment when I got home (on a Friday evening) to explain how disgusted and received a prompt response Saturday morning and a full refund for the second night.

Overall, I would not recommend this property due to its condition. However, the staff and management were friendly and resolved the situation quickly as requested.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Aashish P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review and very valuable feedback.
It is my understanding that you have gone through a few unfortunate situations during your stay, and I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. I did not realize that it was in September 2013. Things are changing very quick now a days. We have resolve all the issues you have mentioned. There are no refrigerator noise anymore , bed and bedding are much comfortable than before. We also have new color and carpet in the hallways and lots of new things. Please give us another chance to provide pleasant accommodations and service in future. We promise that you will not disappoint with our performance.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Tried to find a room in Bay City, but there seemed to be some kind of boating reggatta going on. The rooms were clean enough. However, maintenance of the outside and inside was pitiful. If it's a place to put your head down, by all means. Otherwise, go else where.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Aashish P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Ontario Taffy,

Thank you for your recent review of our property. I apologize that maintenance of the outside and interior was pitiful. We agree that due to renovation of hallways and new carpets made mess inside and sincerely we apologize for it.

Thank you for the positive comments regarding cleanliness. We hope that you will give us another chance to have you as our guest.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I can't complain about the price, nor the easy location right off the freeway. We just needed a place to stop and sleep and it fit the need. The lobby staff were very kind and when we complained that the 1st room smelled like smoke, he apologized and took us to the next one that was fine.

The hotel is old, and they are working on it but..... be prepared for unfinished work all over the place. Like paint rolled half way up a wall; or newer carpet and yet a hole in the counter top; a nice TV, yet a huge hole in the screen door. etc.

Room Tip: If you don't like the condition of the room immediately ask for another, it may suffice
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tobycolumbusOH
Aashish P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest,
My sincere thanks for taking the time to write a review of our property. Your positive comments are very much appreciated by our staff, who work hard each day to make sure valued customers like yourself, are looked after.

We have invested time and resources into improving our property, and we are not finished yet!
Our lobby and hotel exterior are the next areas to be renovated. We look forward to being of service to you in the future. Thanks again for the feedback.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Our family recently attended a wedding in Bay City, and rented 5 rooms here for two nights. All of our rooms were on the second floor, odd numbers (facing away from I-75). No complaints from ANYONE in our party about this hotel. Details below.

GOOD: Rooms were large and airy (high ceilings), and all had a small balcony. Air conditioning worked great. No significant noise (we stayed a Friday and Saturday night). Bathrooms were on the large side. New carpet smell in the upstairs hallway, and carpet in hallway looked brand new. Beds were firm, and linens and towels clean. Small fridge and micro in room. Family-owned business -- very pleasant exchanges with staff. (Andy was very helpful in helping us carry wedding gifts). The second night, we heard a dog barking for a few minutes in an room (obviously unknown to hotel managers) -- we called the front desk and barking stopped shortly thereafter. Hair dryer in room.

OTHER THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW: No elevator. Continental breakfast was better than some. (packaged honey buns, fresh bagels, cold cereal, toast, fresh fruit, orange and apple juice, reg and decaf coffee) There is a McDonalds three doors down, if you don't like it). No pool. Lots of free parking. Wifi is slow, but free. Signage from I-75 is not completely clear (hotel is on west side of I-75). Immediate area is slightly rundown (abandoned Howard Johnson restaurant right next door). Frankly, the exterior of this hotel doesn't look like much, but the interior is much nicer than the outside. After having stayed here, I would very highly recommend it. There is also a "honeymoon suite" in this hotel that is very nice (I had to take a gift into the room before the couple arrived). Very large, with king size bed, large heart-shaped in-room Jacuzzi tub, two large reclining chairs. 3-4 miles from downtown area of Bay City.

Room Tip: quieter rooms face away from I-75 (odd numbers), but rooms facing I-75 (even numbers) allow you to s...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear, TMOHTO,
We always appreciate the positive comments left by the most important people in our world; our guests. We really really appreciate your descriptive review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our staff have gone above and beyond in terms of service. I believe you will be pleased with the fresh contemporary look that the property will portray, as we continue to invest our efforts (and dollars) into improving and enhancing our guest experience. I would like to wish good luck from our staff to newly married couple.

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you (and serving you) in the near future.