“Okay”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Bay City
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed at the Econo Lodge for two nights after a mix up with the hotel we had originally intended to stay at in downtown Bay City. Luckily the Econo Lodge were really helpful and accommodating. That's the one thing I take away from this stay - all the staff were friendly, they remembered and asked about our stay and were genuinely helpful which is a big plus from the indifferent hotel we had to deal with first.

The other reviews would probably put the fear fact in. It doesn't look that bad from the outside and they seem to be doing a lot of work refurbishing the inside - the halls look lovely. I hope the refurbishment continues into the bedrooms which look a little dated and tried - there's some chips in furniture, some stains. Nevertheless they are large and comfortable with all the facilities you would find in a typical motel. You even get a small patio/balcony area and sliding doors which is a nice touch.

Breakfast was provided for free and had a range of options - cereals, fruit, waffles, everything was fresh and plentiful. The motel is great for easy access onto i-75 but in honesty you don't notice any overly loud or annoying sound from being so close. Plus it's a quick drive away from both Bay City and Saginaw.

We'll certainly consider using the Econo Lodge on our future trips back to Bay City and I look forward to seeing the continued improvements.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Aashish P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

One of the best compliments we can receive is when a guest states that they would stay with us again. Our entire focus in operating our business is to earn that exact statement. We are pleased you found our hotel to be a place worth your repeat business and we thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay.

There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was my second visit to this hotel. The visits were 8 months apart. The first time I wrote a favourable review....but this time - not so much.

Pros: *Large room
*Fridge, microwave and coffeemaker
*Modern tv
*Basic continental breakfast
*located right of the interstate

Cons: The building itself is very run down. There was a very distinct odor throughout the building (very strong in breakfast area...nauseating). Our room needed repairs (sliding patio door opened out to a pool that hasn't been in operation in many years...decayed, disgusting and dangerous {last time I stayed here it was winter and I had no idea there was a pool}) - the metal surrounding the sliding door was loose and came free of the glass whenever the door was moved, and there was debris on the little back patio outside the sliding door...appeared to be chipped paint and other "stuff" - not exactly sure what. Some rooms had chairs outside the sliding door...mine didn't. - the ventilation unit looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years - the wallpaper had many holes in it from things that were attached there years before - there were dirty hand prints on the beams running across the ceiling {very strange}. For some reason, the bottom sheet on the bed was not a fitted sheet so it came untucked during the night....VERY annoying!! I could go on - but it would just be listing more of the same.

I am sure that at one time this was a nice hotel...but now it isn't. It is in desperate need of repairs. Yes, I realize that it is not very expensive.....but for $65/night I expect a little more....maybe that's just me.

I am wondering if some rooms are better than others as the room I had last winter was better than this last one. Maybe it's a hit and miss - Russian roulette.
I think that once serious renovations are done it will be a nice hotel again....it appeared that they might be trying to fix things as one area of the hall was boarded up....can't say for sure.

I am pretty sure I won't go back even though I am in Bay City several times a year. Better to pay a little more and stay somewhere else....to me it's not worth the gamble.

Room Tip: Ask if your room has been renovated recently!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank fancydancer33
Aashish P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

Dear Fancydancer33,
We appreciate your review of our property, and thank you for the time you took to provide your comments of pros and cons. I will be reviewing your comments with our Management, and I will make sure that steps are taken to address the problems that you have noted.
I apologize for the condition of the pool area. The renovation to this area of the hotel should be completed in the very near future, and I am sure you will appreciate the fresh new look, once completed.
We hope to have you as our guest again soon, as we very much appreciate your business!
Once again we apologize for your stay.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

This is a very poorly maintained. The water is not hot, there wasn't even enough plugs to charge our phones & laptop without unplugging a lamp and the microwave. The chair did not have a bottom in it though it looked inviting. There weren't enough pillows or blankets in the room.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Spudnik2008

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at Econo Lodge Bay City. Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding your extra needs. I would like to recommend you to contact front desk anytime you need any kind help in the future for any hotels. It always helpful if guest let us know their extra need for anything. I have share your comments with staff and let them know to provide any service guest needs in the future during their stay.

Again, thank you for sharing, we do value your comments and hopefully you give us another chance.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife and I have stayed here on three occasions. Each time is better and better. We especially like their room with the hot tub. I am very familiar with this location as it was a Howard Johnson's when first built in the mid-60's. For a 50 year old building, the owners are doing great things with it. Every time we have stayed here, the improvements are obvious. Rates are very reasonable and it's a great location to use as a base point for travel in the middle lower peninsula or as a jumping off point for heading further up north.

Room Tip: The room with the heart shaped hot tub is excellent
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Aashish P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Greetings Value Traveler,
Thank you for the really great review and compliments. We enjoy reading about our efforts in improvements. The hot tub room are fantastic and I am happy you enjoyed your stay . You are right that hotel is older build in 1965 but we have done tons of work to make it better. We are working on FITNESS room now so hopefully end of this month it will be ready.Thanks again for your wonderful review. We look forward to seeing you in future visits.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was disappointed when we pulled up to this motel. The exterior is in sad shape but is being updated. The lobby was in the process of being overhauled, but our rooms were very nice. We had a queen bed, 2 "easy chairs", table & desk chair, sliding door to the outside where there were 2 more chairs. Our rooms were clean and quiet. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast bar was very nice serving waffles & fresh fruit & pastries & bagels & cereals & juices & coffees. The only thing I would like to have had was yogurt. Maybe next time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Aashish P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words! I'm very happy that you enjoyed the breakfast options provided! We hope you visit us again in the future! Thanks again for your Business!!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

It was 1:30 am when we arrived because the Econo Lodge in Flint had given our room away (despite the online reservation and confirmation number), so we really only needed a place to lay our heads for the night. This was just that. The hotel itself is pretty run down. Carpet had recently been laid, but not finished in all areas. The bed was comfortable though, with modern bedding, TV and furniture. Room seemed clean. Some fixes (like plaster not being sanded and painted) had been started, but not completed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Econo Lodge in Bay City. We greatly appreciate your comments. I apologize for the work has not been finished and I understand that it is not good for our performance. We haven't finished our renovation yet but we will make sure there will be no unfinished work once we done. Thank you so much for alerting me to this situation. Thanks again for sharing and please stay with us on your next visit to Bay City.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The family that runs the place is slowly fixing it up. When I drove up I was concerned. Once I got in the hall I saw new lighting, new carpets, etc. When I opened the door to my room I found a clean, large, quiet place to sleep. Price was great. Not many dining choices nearby though. Breakfast was really good.

Room Tip: Upper had balconies, lowers patios. I'd stay upstairs although depending on te room, the walk t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SenseIntoDollars

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and breakfast.