“Enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Bay City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

Great value and reasonably comfortable. We really enjoyed the friendly staff, great golf course, and well priced food and bev. The rooms were comfortable and, though slightly dated, served us well. For the price we paid, we did not expect to be in a five star hotel, and in the end it was a great deal. We'll go back next summer or early fall as well. Nice little place to know about.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Mt Pleasant
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

Good location. All personal helpful and friendly. Rooms were elegant at one time. Toilet rust stained. Bathroom faucet leaked around fitting. Bed comfortable. Large room with free wifi. Has a 2 star AAA rating and has potential to have a higher rating. Continental breakfast wonderful. $5.00 omelet and hashbrowns great. Young adults very loud about 1:30am. I would definately stay anytime for one night providing rate is under $85.00 and would call front desk at time of disturbing guests.

• Stayed October 2011

Travellers are raving about these Bay City hotels

Santa Barbara de Samana, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

This is an older resort but I still enjoyed my stay. We had a convention rate so when we stayed the price was very good so I'd give it a great value for our stay. The rooms were clean and fairly up to date. The pool is huge and the kids loved it. Decent hot tub. The golf course looks beautiful although I've not tried it out. The breakfast room is very large with pretty architecture. The included breakfast was pretty good, they have waffle machines and you can make a pretty mean waffle on your own. Plenty of juice and coffee at the ready too.

Don't get me wrong, the building could use a serious makeover but the worst part is on the outside and the parking lot. In my opinion it felt older on the inside too but the fact that it was clean made it acceptable for us. I'm sure that there will be people who don't like this hotel but I've stayed in hotels and homes all over the Dominican Republic so I can be comfortable with less, I do however appreciate a very nice room and hotel as well. I would have liked to have given it a 2.5 out of 5 instead of a 3 out of 5.

Room Tip: The rooms on the end of the hallways are much bigger and if you can get a corner on the end away fro...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

This has to my worst hotel experience ever...... the rooms are in serious need of updating, very old must smell, room was very dark and dingy carpet was not in the best shape either. Maybe a thorough cleaning would help until they can afford to update. We were visiting from Maryland for a wedding and this was the suggested hotel. Well I stayed for about 3hrs then I packed up our things and told my husband to meet us (our daughter and I) at the Marriott Spring Hill Suites. Update or not I will NEVER THINK TO STAY HERE AGAIN!!!!! I honestly can't believe that people stay here and actually pay for it!!! the rooms were just that disgusting to me.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Anissarj
Peachtree City, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

Grand entrance was very eye pleasing and gave a false reading of what I expected the rooms should be like. The rooms were dismal and unpleasing from the 1970-80 decor to the mold growing in the shower. (old section). My other family members were in the new remodel area in the 300 section of the hotel and the hallways had a odor of a nursing home. I didn't get to see the newly remodel rooms as the odor was getting to me and my family.
Pool area had broken chairs inside and out and dry wall falling from the ceiling. Kids didn't care...they were swimming.

Basically, This resort has the potential of being a great place for fun. But they have to spend money to make money.

I will not be back until this happens!!

staff - friendly and nice

Room Tip: They have great MILITARY DISCOUNT 50% off. this is a thumbs up for our service men and woman.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We've stayed at Bay Valley Resort for the Canada Day Weekend for 6 years in a row, and have already booked for next year. When we first started going there, we pretty much had the place to ourselves, but the word has gotten out, and we have a lot of competition for rooms. Bay Valley is not a 5 Star Resort by any means, but the rooms are clean, the staff is very friendly and helpful and the Golf Course is attached to the hotel, so no travel time is involved. There are dozens of restaurants available in nearby Bay City and Saginaw, and shopping opportunities abound.

The Golf Course is immediately adjacent to I-75, but you'd never know that the world is driving right by you when you get out there, as there are lots of trees to mask the sights and sounds of the busy Interstate. It is a very playable golf course, well maintained and very enjoyable to play. It is just perfect for a Couples Golfing getaway, and I've never come across a better value for a short golfing holiday. We golf in the morning, and then either sit by the lovely pool area or visit nearby Saginaw, Bay City or Frankenmuth in the afternoon.

Bay Valley is an older hotel, and in need of upgrading in many areas, and they have been working on it a little every year since we started going there. Don't look for perfection, just sit back and enjoy what the resort has to offer for the price that you pay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vicboy2
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

As I start all reviews, please take a look and see how many hotels I've reviewed, I'm not a jaded one time traveler. I travel often and feel I have a good base to write a good overall review.
As for the good things. This "resort" is very conveniently located if you're visiting Bay City, Saginaw or Midland. Its just off I-75 and many fast food restaurants are a stones throw away. My room was cleaned daily and the housekeeping staff was very friendly and went out of their way to say "hi".
Now I booked via priceline and I've always had good luck with their rating system. I'm very very sorry to say that this hotel is not at all on par with other 2.5 star hotels. From the moment I entered the hotel is knew it was not going to be a place I returned to, the front desk girl didn't end her personal call even as I stood there. She gave me no direction to my room nor did she explain other amenities (restaurant, bar, pool ect.) The layout of the hotel is a bit strange and appears that there were additions added at various times. The entire place has a funky old smell. When I entered the room, I was almost shocked. I've not been witness to such outdated decor in a very long time. The pictures on their website are exactly what it looks like but with peeling wallpaper. The room was large and as I stated clean, but with out exaggerating should have been made over 10-15 years ago. The bed was comfortable not hard like I see other reviews have said.
Yes the comments about it seeming like the movie from the Shining is spot on! Beyond the very dated decor and original bathroom from 1974 when it was built I think the complete lack of security is a HUGE area that needs to be addressed. All doors are left unlocked for anyone and everyone to come and go as the please, no key card required. The parking lot I felt did not have adequate lighting and there seems to be MANY construction workers staying at the hotel with very large trucks they allow to park close to the building, many of them taking up 2-4 parking spots. Another guest I spoke with was very angry that she had to park so far when all the trucks got front row..
I didnt eat in their restaurant nor did I try their "free" breakfast. I was traveling on business so I didnt try their pools but from what I hear they are very nice. It seems like its a popular local golf hangout . All in all will I return? Not if you paid me... I truly mean that. Its very clear that the owners are milking every last dime out of it without any reinvestment. Which is very sad because with a few easy renovations I think the place could be outstanding.
Happy travels! Cheers!