“Hidden gem!”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Bay City
Desbarats, Ontario
“Hidden gem!”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We found this hotel online last minute and we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. For the price we paid we didn't expect the gorgeous entrance as we pulled up. We were looking for somewhere to stay during some Black Friday shopping and we wished we had booked all three nights of our trip at this hotel! It has an "antique" feel to it that made us feel like we were in a historic building but it was actually built in 1972. It was clean, vibrant and we loved every second of our stay. Our room had a gorgeous high ceiling, beautiful chandeliers, and the pool was incredible! We enjoyed the hot tub and the indoor/outdoor pool at night which was gorgeous. the grounds and the overall design of the hotel gave it the "wow" factor. We plan on Bay Valley being our go-to spot while traveling in this area. Our room felt like a "princess parlor" in a castle. We also checked out one of the suites for a possible anniversary visit in the new year and it was gorgeous. The room was huge with a sitting area and table and chairs. There was a game room and of course the pool for the kids. The bar and restaurant were great. We enjoyed a hot continental breakfast that was delicious. The room was clean and we took specific note of the spotless and shining clean shower/bath tub. The front desk staff was very nice and the manager was visible around the hotel. We will be back!

Room Tip: If you ask for the 3rd floor you'll get the gorgeous high ceilings! Some of the rooms will have...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Shaylan S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Troy, MI
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The golf course is beautiful and the bar/restaurant is great, so its convenient in that respect. However, seriously in need of a makeover and here is what went wrong (we were with a large group): 1. The beds are sooo old and uncomfy --linens too!.. one mom tried to make the bed and saw that the mattress was duct taped together. 2. I called for a wakeup call and never got it...(!!), 3. I pulled the faucet to turn on the water and the whole thing came off. 4. the lady who makes the omlettes in the morning was miserable! she complained the entire time about having customers - ummm hello thats your job?--. I asked for egg whites and she said NO WE DONT HAVE THEM! (ps if you have eggs, you have whites!)..5. the chair in the breakfast area that my daughter sat in, the arm rest came right off and fell. 6. the computer in the 'business center' has a floppy drive -its a dinosaur- and is so far behind on updates, I couldnt get to my yahoo mail even. 7. I used the regular coffee and the 2nd night the maid did not replace it ...8. A/c/heating unit is sooo old and loud. I couldnt sleep - (good thing since they only randomly give wakeup calls!) 9. No luggage racks, like to put a suitcase on in the room. 10. No room service, even though there are 2 restaurants in the building!?? I mean I could go on and on with other problems our friends had but I will stop there. Its convenient if there is a function going on and it was a great rate for our group, but they could really invest a little $$ and have a nice place here. EVERYONE couldnt wait to leave. one family said they could not possibly sleep here the 2nd night and they drove all the way home the 2nd night so they could sleep!

Room Tip: I heard there were updated rooms on the 3rd floor but did not verify. suggest an end room cuz there...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank nzy1rz

Travellers are raving about these Bay City hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Great value and reasonably comfortable. We really enjoyed the friendly staff, great golf course, and well priced food and bev. The rooms were comfortable and, though slightly dated, served us well. For the price we paid, we did not expect to be in a five star hotel, and in the end it was a great deal. We'll go back next summer or early fall as well. Nice little place to know about.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Mt Pleasant
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Good location. All personal helpful and friendly. Rooms were elegant at one time. Toilet rust stained. Bathroom faucet leaked around fitting. Bed comfortable. Large room with free wifi. Has a 2 star AAA rating and has potential to have a higher rating. Continental breakfast wonderful. $5.00 omelet and hashbrowns great. Young adults very loud about 1:30am. I would definately stay anytime for one night providing rate is under $85.00 and would call front desk at time of disturbing guests.

• Stayed October 2011
Santa Barbara de Samana, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 10 October 2011

This is an older resort but I still enjoyed my stay. We had a convention rate so when we stayed the price was very good so I'd give it a great value for our stay. The rooms were clean and fairly up to date. The pool is huge and the kids loved it. Decent hot tub. The golf course looks beautiful although I've not tried it out. The breakfast room is very large with pretty architecture. The included breakfast was pretty good, they have waffle machines and you can make a pretty mean waffle on your own. Plenty of juice and coffee at the ready too.

Don't get me wrong, the building could use a serious makeover but the worst part is on the outside and the parking lot. In my opinion it felt older on the inside too but the fact that it was clean made it acceptable for us. I'm sure that there will be people who don't like this hotel but I've stayed in hotels and homes all over the Dominican Republic so I can be comfortable with less, I do however appreciate a very nice room and hotel as well. I would have liked to have given it a 2.5 out of 5 instead of a 3 out of 5.

Room Tip: The rooms on the end of the hallways are much bigger and if you can get a corner on the end away fro...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 October 2011

This has to my worst hotel experience ever...... the rooms are in serious need of updating, very old must smell, room was very dark and dingy carpet was not in the best shape either. Maybe a thorough cleaning would help until they can afford to update. We were visiting from Maryland for a wedding and this was the suggested hotel. Well I stayed for about 3hrs then I packed up our things and told my husband to meet us (our daughter and I) at the Marriott Spring Hill Suites. Update or not I will NEVER THINK TO STAY HERE AGAIN!!!!! I honestly can't believe that people stay here and actually pay for it!!! the rooms were just that disgusting to me.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Anissarj
Peachtree City, Georgia
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Grand entrance was very eye pleasing and gave a false reading of what I expected the rooms should be like. The rooms were dismal and unpleasing from the 1970-80 decor to the mold growing in the shower. (old section). My other family members were in the new remodel area in the 300 section of the hotel and the hallways had a odor of a nursing home. I didn't get to see the newly remodel rooms as the odor was getting to me and my family.
Pool area had broken chairs inside and out and dry wall falling from the ceiling. Kids didn't care...they were swimming.

Basically, This resort has the potential of being a great place for fun. But they have to spend money to make money.

I will not be back until this happens!!

staff - friendly and nice

Room Tip: They have great MILITARY DISCOUNT 50% off. this is a thumbs up for our service men and woman.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family