“Terrible stay”

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Bay City
Brown City
“Terrible stay”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

To be fair, the property is gorgeous. Inside needs serious updating, cigarette holes all over the carpet, but it was clean. However, I have stayed in many, many, many hotels over the years, and this was my worst ever. There was a wedding there, which is fine, but the walls are paper thin, and I can sleep through a hurricane and not wake up, but the people in the next room were drunk, smoking pot, and very obnoxious. At 2:30 am when they were still going at it, now in the hallway right outside my door, I ripped open my door, argued with the drunken idiots, and went to the desk. Given the fact that they were really nice, nothing was done. The idiots carried on until 5:00 am, there was screaming all night right outside our window. I would think that the staff could have monitored the situation much more closely. Luckily, we were in town for fun and not business or a funeral, or I would've lost my temper largely. When I checked out, I suggested they check the next room for marijuana smell and charge the idiots a fine or whatever. Again, polite, but I'm very sure nothing was done. I would not stay here again because of this situation. I have never had this experience at a hotel before. If we had taken our kids with us, I'd have been furious. We literally almost left in the night. Never, ever again. When a hotel is that busy, and it was due to the Frankenmuth beer expo, they should be watching over the place. When I went to the front desk to complain, the guy was leaning on the desk doing nothing and the girl in charge was in the back. He probably could have been walking around making sure people were behaving themselves.

Room Tip: If you don't want to sleep, it's a great place to stay. However, if you do, don't stay h...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
South Lyon, Michigan
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Excellent older, but very clean facility, beautiful golf course, helpful, professional staff. Beautiful entrance, great patio for outdoor dining. The handicap entrance was the best I have used- door easy to open and doesn't try to slam shut on you. Elevator takes you right up to the front desk. Door to room also opens easily and doesn't slam shut as you are entering. Plenty of outlets in room to charge power chair, portable travel concentrator, and large concentrator, and use laptop at the same time!! (and without moving furniture to find them!!)
The beds were heavenly, and the pillows, as well. I haven't slept that well for a very long time.
I will come back and bring some golfers.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Lakewood, Washington, United States
Reviewed 9 March 2013

If you want a clean secure room, stay here. If you do not want to laugh at 80s decor and carpet, go somewhere else. The entire sleeping area needs updating as soon as you enter the halls and notice the dirty green carpet and multicolored doors.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jorge P

Travellers are raving about these Bay City hotels

Reviewed 31 December 2012

To first state the problems of this hotel. 1. The rooms are in need of some serious repair and updating. 2. Walls are very thin and could be built up to drown out noise. 3. The kids running in the hallway needs to be addressed. 4. Food is god awful thank god it was part of the deal that I got for the room and didn't have to pay for it. 5. My girlfriend got a drink with a bug in it, they took it from the table and dropped off the same drink. We had to go to the bar ourselves. 6. Service is awful besides the front desk, dinner took us an hour and a half. Now for the good side of things, for the price you get what you pay for. Secondly it's conveniently located off of I-75 and by a bunch of fast food places in which I would rather eat.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Martymazzo
Michigan
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I've stayed here twice in the past month via Priceline.

By the looks of it, you would think this is a high class hotel. Pretty interior. Kind of quaint and old fashioned looking. But really, it's just a run of the mill hotel.

Rooms are nice and comfortable mostly, but not anything better than you get at a brand name hotel.

Walls are very THIN. I could hear the guy next to me snoring--so loudly that it woke me up at 4:30 a.m.

There is a small fridge, microwave, coffee maker.

Continental breakfast is included, but actually a better one is at the nearby Four Points Sheraton. It's okay (packaged pastries, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, cereal), but you would expect something a step higher in this sort of place. An omelet & hash browns are available for $5.00.

I wouldn't pay full price--but for the discount I got, it was fine.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Beth1961
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 26 November 2012

My husband and I spent three days at Bay Valley Resort from Thanksgiving evening to Sunday morning. The price for our large room with king size bed which included a small refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker was very reasonable. The room was clean but in need of some repair (caulking around the heating/cooling unit, etc.). Also, the heater was kind of loud. The bathroom area seems to have been recently remodeled and was in very good shape. We did not use the pool or sauna. They furnished a continental breakfast which was varied and well-stocked. They also offered made-to-order omelets for $5.00 extra. The resort is conveniently located near the freeway. The grounds and parking lot were in decent shape as were the common areas. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
This hotel is older and in need of a bit of maintenance and refurbishing to make it really sharp but for the price you can't beat it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Valerie R
Granville, OH
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed at Bay Valley Hotel and Resort for one night and I was extremely disappointed. I splurged for the biggest room they had available; the cost was $106 for the night. The room needed serious renovation and upgrading--and even cleaning! The carpeting was in terrible shape, loose on the floor and the seams were coming up. Looking out the (dirty) windows, I observed that the railings on the faux balcony were full of old, dried pigeon droppings. I was surprised to see one of those slits in the wall next to the vanity where one was supposed to dispose of used razor blades; I hadn't seen one of those in 20 years! To make matters even worse, I was stung by a yellow jacket bee in the room within two minutes of entering. I really wanted to like this place, as we had stayed here just after it opened in the 1970's and we were on a nostalgia trip through the area, but I don't think parts of this hotel have been touched since we were there last time.

We mistakenly decided to eat dinner in the hotel bar that night. We ordered a pizza from the menu and waited...and waited...and waited for it to arrive. After forty minutes, with no pizza in sight, I told the server to just send it up to the room when it was ready. My wife, a saint, waited another few minutes for the pizza and brought it up to the room. It was in a box, like you would expect from a neighborhood pizza parlor. I am not convinced that the kitchen didn't order our pizza from another restaurant and just send it out, box and all, to be served.

Even the grounds around the hotel (not including the golf course, which I understand is the main draw here) were neglected. Tufts of grass were growing through paving stones and parts of the parking lots, apparently just because no one was keeping the place looking nice. Really, I'm surprised this resort is still open for business. They most be staying open by cutting back on maintenance and upkeep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without bees.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple