“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Bay City
Guelph, Canada
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Friends have been coming here for several years. This experience was less than anticipated. Friday night supper took 1 1/2 hours and when I received my "medium cooked" steak, the cow mooed back at me. After sending it back for more cooking it came out rare at best but then they forgot to warm up the rice so it was cold. Our group cancelled the Saturday supper and went elsewhere. Saturday morning shower was a real treat with cool to cold water. It seems the whole hotel was out of warm water. My wife complained of a "lumpy" bed while mine was OK. Most hotels provide daily shampoo, conditioner and soap. This one provided one "sample" container / package for the 3 day stay. Luckily, we brought our own. The golf experience suffered because of the rains they had so it was less than par but I'll blame the weather on soaked fairways; squishy tee decks; and mud bunkers. The beverage cart girl was great except for the fact that she had to cover the whole golf course so it took her way over an hour between visits. On the hot and humid Sunday, we didn't see her from hole number 7 thru hole number 15 which was far too long to be without any beverage (not talking beer either). Understaffed was the problem not the girl herself. Finally, this is NOT a resort but merely an old hotel in need of upgrading. My rating above terrible is only because of the friendly staff who tried to do their best. The owners need to pour some money into this place to bring it up to snuff and provide resort style customer service.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank tryin4birdies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

This marks our 8th consecutive year for our couples Golf Weekend at Bay Valley and plans are already in the works for number 9 next year. We recognized on our first visit 8 years ago thay Bay Valley is an older Hotel, very much in need of modernization. We have noticed changes and improvements over the year and while I doubt that it will ever return to 4/5 star accommodation, we celebrate it for what it offers. They have a first class golf course attached to the hotel. The rooms are clean and quiet and you get a great Continental Breakfast in the morning before starting your day. It is close to great dining in both Saginaw and Bay City. The staff are very friendly and helpful and that goes a long way toward making us repeat customers.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vicboy2
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I would give this hotel a poor rating, but because the staff were so great I will say it's an average hotel. Definitely NOT a resort. The hotel is in major need of a remodel. The room we stayed in had 3 lamps, so it was very dark. Carpet and bedding showed it's battle wounds from it's years of use. There was a bunch of spider webs with dead spiders hanging out in the corner of the room by an electrical outlet. A plus was the many outlets in the room, 4 girls in a room, and we all had some sort of electronic device & lots of hair appliances, but had no problem because of the availability of outlets. I wore shoes the entire trip, and almost wished I had brought flip flops for the shower. In case you are wondering, there was no microwave or refrigerator in our standard room. There was a very cool inside pool that connects to the outside pool through a channel. They turned the heaters on in the pool around 9:30 pm the night we stayed. There is also a hot tub and a work out room. For the work out room, you need to go to the front desk for a key to get in, they will hold your license until you bring the key back. The equipment in the work out room was in working order, but probably on it's last hinges. The lobby looked very nice and well decorated. Continental breakfast was apples, oranges, mini muffins, danishes, and mini bagels. For hot breakfast you had to pay $5 extra each day. I did not pay for it, so I can not comment on how it was. Parking was free and the lot was spacious, so we did not have trouble finding a spot. There were a couple side entrances to the hotel, but you will need your room key to get in. Our floor also had a Women's and Men's Locker Room, that had changing stalls, showers, and toilets, so if you have a room full of people it's a nice extra commodity that you can use as a guest. Close to the highway, so easy on and off, but it's tucked in a spot where you did not hear any traffic or noise at night. Overall, you get what you pay for. If I have to, I will stay again but I will probably check out other hotels in the area first.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Watchb4go.com

1 Thank BeksTravel
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I was recently at Bay Valley for a class reunion and could not have been more pleased. They cleared the furniture out of a suite for us so we could have a hospitality room, the individual rooms were comfortable and clean, and the meal and service was very good. There is easy access to the highway and a very nice golf course on site. Highly recommended

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
LaSalle, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

We have stayed at this Hotel and Golf course many times. Beautiful property. The hotel is old and in serious need of updating, but the staff are doing the best they can. Friendly, quick to accommodate requests, the rooms are clean. Free continental breakfast (always good). Golf course great value for your $, course is well maintained, challenging. Tom is always friendly and tries to accommodate your tee times. Good central location for shopping and dining. The lounge has entertainment on the weekend if you want to sit a while and enjoy some music and a beverage. My husband and I go twice a year to take advantage of spring and fall specials.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the golf course, lower level and bring your lawnchairs. Beautiful in the morning.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 55JEB55
Brown City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

To be fair, the property is gorgeous. Inside needs serious updating, cigarette holes all over the carpet, but it was clean. However, I have stayed in many, many, many hotels over the years, and this was my worst ever. There was a wedding there, which is fine, but the walls are paper thin, and I can sleep through a hurricane and not wake up, but the people in the next room were drunk, smoking pot, and very obnoxious. At 2:30 am when they were still going at it, now in the hallway right outside my door, I ripped open my door, argued with the drunken idiots, and went to the desk. Given the fact that they were really nice, nothing was done. The idiots carried on until 5:00 am, there was screaming all night right outside our window. I would think that the staff could have monitored the situation much more closely. Luckily, we were in town for fun and not business or a funeral, or I would've lost my temper largely. When I checked out, I suggested they check the next room for marijuana smell and charge the idiots a fine or whatever. Again, polite, but I'm very sure nothing was done. I would not stay here again because of this situation. I have never had this experience at a hotel before. If we had taken our kids with us, I'd have been furious. We literally almost left in the night. Never, ever again. When a hotel is that busy, and it was due to the Frankenmuth beer expo, they should be watching over the place. When I went to the front desk to complain, the guy was leaning on the desk doing nothing and the girl in charge was in the back. He probably could have been walking around making sure people were behaving themselves.

Room Tip: If you don't want to sleep, it's a great place to stay. However, if you do, don't stay h...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Bay City hotels

South Lyon, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

Excellent older, but very clean facility, beautiful golf course, helpful, professional staff. Beautiful entrance, great patio for outdoor dining. The handicap entrance was the best I have used- door easy to open and doesn't try to slam shut on you. Elevator takes you right up to the front desk. Door to room also opens easily and doesn't slam shut as you are entering. Plenty of outlets in room to charge power chair, portable travel concentrator, and large concentrator, and use laptop at the same time!! (and without moving furniture to find them!!)
The beds were heavenly, and the pillows, as well. I haven't slept that well for a very long time.
I will come back and bring some golfers.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business