“Great Continental Breakfast”

Cambridge, Canada
“Great Continental Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

What we liked:
-Nicely decorated rooms, comfortable beds, good sized bathroom, very clean.
-Having a fridge and microwave.
-Location - after driving all day it was great to be able to do some shopping without having to drive somewhere.
-Best continental breakfast I have ever had -I loved the fresh fruit and my husband enjoyed his breakfast sandwich.
-Value - we felt like we got what we paid for.

What we didn't like:
-Noise from the hallways - we could clearly hear conversations people were having in the hallway inside our room - but I find this is a problem in many hotels.
-Traffic noise - our room faced the Walmart - the other side of the hotel may be quieter. Obviously the hotel has no control over this but it is something to consider if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Periwinkle11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Arvada, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

This place was OK, a typical "2-3 star", not much different from Holiday Inn Express, etc. except it was more expensive and gave a little bit less. The room was clean, staff OK,etc. but the breakfast was really subpar. I guess if they're going to overcharge, they're going to try hard to give you even more to complain about. I don't mind paying a bit more but I expect a bit more thnan this for the $$

Room Tip: try for a king sofa suite- reasonable amount of room, but in this case, not any nicer ammenities
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
San Clemente, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

Hello:
I have stayed at this hotel several times, usually for a week each time. It is a decent place, the kids enjoyed the pool. I noticed another reviewer mentioned slippery floors in the reception area, I also have noticed that. This last stay I had a terrible fall in the parking lot. Someone had apparently thrown some of the rocks from around the base of the hotel which are the same color as the asphalt. I did a complete face plant and am very lucky I did not get seriously hurt. My sunglasses shattered and cut my face, I injured my wrist and cut my knees. When I reported it to the front desk, the receptionist took a written report but even with staying there an additional 6 nights, I did not hear a single word from the manager.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is the quietest.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Manlius, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

My husband and I stayed overnight while en route to Mackinac Island, MI. We did not have an advance registration; the friendly and efficient young woman at the desk assigned us a quiet room on the third floor after we told her we had been on the road for 9 hours. The room was immaculate and had a refrigerator and microwave---both very clean. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were smooth. The large window could be opened for fresh air and the window screen provided added protection. The hotel is located adjacent to a shopping mall with a variety of restaurants within walking distance in a very safe area. The front desk clerk was most helpful with restaurant recommendations. Breakfast buffet was varied and nicely presented with an excellent selection of cold and hot choices, including delicious Belgian waffles. This hotel also had a few welcome extras---homemade cookies and fruit at check-in plus complimentary "social hour" food every evening (homemade chicken noodle soup the evening we stayed). We stay at Marriott properties frequently and this Fairfield Inn clearly exceeded usual standards.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel face an access road to the shopping mall and are very quiet overnigh...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

I intended to stay at the Doubletree downtown but it was sold out. Wanting to stay at a chain property, I opted for the Fairfield Inn on the north side of Bay City.

The Location:

I was very pleased with the location. There are three decent restaurants a short walk away that serve alcohol, i.e., Red Lobster, Harvey's Grill & Bar and Buffalo Wild Wings. Also within short walking distance are numerous casual/fast food restaurants that don't serve alcohol, Rally's, Taco Bell, Burger King, Bob Evans and two Subways.

Across a big parking lot is the Bay City Mall that has a cinema. Across the street from the hotel on the other side is a Wal-Mart.

There is bus service downtown on Route #6 that you can catch at the Target at the mall or at the Wal-Mart. But it only operates on weekdays during the day.

The room:

The room lacked character, rather blah. But it was quite clean. I enjoyed the screened window that opened. The dresser and desk were marred. The lampshade was missing from the dresser lamp; that's a first. The flat-screen TV functioned well.

The staff and breakfast:

The evening clerk was pleasant and accommodating. The day clerk was also quite pleasant although busy handling both the desk and maintaining the breakfast room. The free breakfast was acceptable.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Westerville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Of the Fairfield Inns, this location has provided a high quality stay each time we've been there. Bay City is a great destination for a long weekend, and we keep going back to this location.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side can be a little quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

Not an overall rough stay, and I was able to use award miles instead of cash.. but the girl at the desk did not check my ID - just took my name. When we returned from our night out - my boyfriend almost slipped on the wet floor in the hallway because there was no signage. The front door is also supposed to be locked after 11pm and it was not. Breakfast was ok, attentive staff there... but lots of loose pre-teens running around. We did not use the pool because it always had kids there and they were fairly loud. Adult hour needs to be more than 11p-12m. Great shower head in the bath and name brand bath products. Tv selection was ok. Heater worked well.

• Stayed December 2011