“Nice place”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bear Lake
Lansing, Michigan
“Nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

very clean and the rooms are nice. Great pool. Owner's very friendly and accommodating. TV's are only 19", Could use an update to newer/larger style flat-screen. Continental breakfast daily. Coffee maker, refrigerator, and microwave in room. Free wi-fi also.

Room Tip: Ask for room with the bigger bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Southgate, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Mom and Pop motel! A pleasure to stay in a very clean motel that is not a large chain motel. Personal service, staff is very knowledgeable about local outdoor activities and willing to help with directions! Outdoor pool is very clean with lap lanes. Outdoor seating areas with grills and flowers. Close enough to Traverse City for day trips, far enough away for relaxation and beautiful Bear Lake is across the street. Lake Michigan is a short drive away. Continental breakfast is served also. Microwave and refrigerator in each room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kim W
Valparaiso, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I have no complaints. Stayed here in august 2013. The room was clean and cozy. There was no shampoo, but when I asked at the front desk, the owner gave me some small samples to use. The pool was clean and inviting. The morning coffee was a short walk from our room. The hotel was about a ten minute drive to the casino. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Topinabee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

A group of 8 of us attended a wedding at crystal mountain and with the color tour in full blast this was our last choice for a motel for the night. If we would have only known I would have driven the 3 hours home and saved my $60.... Well 66.60 with tax.. Right from the moment four of us walked in and said hello we were treated like we were a HUGE bother... He was very rude with the tone of his voice right down to attitude. One guest in the group asked to you take credit cards and he got "well ya where old but not that old." Which would normally be followed with laughing with our group of people but this man was not joking about anything. When asked if they had a restroom we got "NO!! No public restroom when this place was built they didn't have all those ridiculous laws!" This was all in the first 5 mins... Then refused to put our four rooms all right next to each other? I could go on on about his disrespect in the first 10 mins..
We then changed quick to go to wedding. I left a light on above the sink so I could see coming in when we returned. As did my sister in law and one of the others left their window open a crack. On return we found my light and sister in laws light off and the window shut... I feel if I pay $66 a night this is my room for the evening and if I want a light on so when myself and my mother walk into the room after dark it is not a problem and they do not have right to turn it off! I was very offended by this.. There are many other stories I could tell about this crabby, disrespectful man....
The beds are hard, however the rooms are very clean.. How clean alone can not satisfy.. He needs to learn to treat people with respect! I will never stay here again like I said I would have rather drove the three hours home at least I wouldn't be sitting here after three hours of sleep with a numb hip so upset how I was treated writing this!!
Just an awful experience!!!

• Stayed October 2013
9 Thank Tvieau

Travellers are raving about these Bear Lake hotels

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Spent the night here as our first night around Lake Michigan. Would stay again. Our visit was quiet and comfortable, no frills. You may need to bring your own shampoo/conditioner, as there was none in our room. Ice and coffee are a short walk to the office.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kab1105
Ferndale, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stopped at this place returning from the Labor Day Bridge Walk in Mackinaw City. Since the holiday was 2 days past, we figured we could find a decent off season rate like we did the previious night in Traverse City. Boy were we in the wrong.
The place looked nearly empty that evening and the front desk was unoccupied when we went in. I rang the bell and a unkept man in his night clothes appeared. I asked about the rate for a room and he quoted us a price of $75. I had payed less for what was obviously a much nicer place the previous night. I told him we had AAA and I was a veteran. (their sign and advertisements said veteran owned) and he stated in a surly manner that $75 was the discounted rate. .This man obviously didn't want our business. We turned to leave and he asked what we were expecting to pay and I said somewhere around $50-60. and he laughed in my face. What a jerk this guy was. I am so glad we didn't stay there, especially after reading these other reviews. I am not sure what the heck this guys problem was but he definetly had one. Who treats a possible customer like that anyway? We found a nice room with decent management up the road aways for $54.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank FrugalMichigander
Clinton Township, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

My friend and I stayed there for 4 nights and we had no problems! Hosts were friendly, offered information when asked, had a light continental breakfast but neither of us eat in the morning but I do drink my coffee and there was always plenty. One morning while out sitting at the pool early they came out to clean and I witnessed them unstacking the extra chairs and wiping everyone of them off. Who does that? They do.This is not a fancy motel but SPOTLESS, LARGE AND COMFORTABLE. I really hate when people use travel sights to complain just because they didn't get what they expected. Picture ot the motel are exactly like in the room so if you want fancy go somewhere else and leave the room for someone who want comfort and clean.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
#2 of 2 in Frankfort
Days Inn Manistee
Days Inn Manistee
#4 of 10 in Manistee

Been to Bella Vista Inn? Share your experiences!