“I love Beaver Island”
Review of Erin Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beaver Island
Erin Motel
East Ohio
“I love Beaver Island”
Reviewed 25 December 2012

When I stayed at the Erin Motel it was quite adequate. Roy let us use a freezer in the office area which was a nice gesture. Room was clean, and not noisy on the street side. We rented the Harbor House from Roy the next year.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lyle27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
East coast, United States
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We just stayed there. There are rooms on the lake side and rooms on the streetside. We were on the lakeside, which is really quite nice: we woke in the a.m to the sound of water lapping at the beach and of sea gulls. It' s not fancy that' s for sure, but it was fine for the price. I was very worried about the bed bug report and I brought a flashlight to check .. we saw no evidence of bed bugs, tho it wasn't exactly spotless under there. Yet we felt nothing and suffered no bites (we were in Unit #6). We kept our stuff in the bathroom or on the desk just in case but there was no evidence-- in that room at least--of bed bugs. And the location on the lake is pretty nice. Basic kind of place for a basic price. Being in town is convenient and there's a place to rent bikes right next door.

Room Tip: Ask for a unit on the lake side.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank someonesomewhere15
East Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Right next to the docks, this wonderful place is comfortable, and priced right.
Also, it is only a "stumble" from the Shamrock. :)
Love this place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Patrick K
Cedar Springs, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I brought three of my grandsons, ages 10, 11 and 12 to the island last July. The room is basic as the entire island tends to be. We slept like rocks with the windows open. I had brought some food in a cooler. There is a small fridge and microwave. It was nice cooking on the grill overlooking St. James Bay. There is a utility room where I helped myself to ice and towels. It was a good safe place for us and would bring the kids back again.

Room Tip: I would chose room # 4, was less likely for the kids to bother others and had what I think was the b...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Teresa S
Michigan
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This was a very basic room, however, it did have a king sized bed, small fridge, coffee maker and microwave. Unfortunately, no air conditioning - but that seems to be common on the island. It is 1/2 block from the ferry and on the beach. This is not a luxury accomodation by any means, but I was not planning to spend much time in my room. I enjoyed watching a beautiful sunrise with my feet in the sand and a fresh cup of coffee in my hands. Old blankets, towels and styrofoam coolers are available for guest use in the laundry room. Ice was also available. This is an older building, but that is probably why it is such a great value. There are a couple of restaurants nearby and several quaint stores. Most stores open at 10am and close around 5pm. The store accros the street stays open until 10pm and has ice cream, beverages and premade sandwiches. McDonough's in nearby and has a good variety of food and merchandise and stays open until 8pm. I plan to stay here again in the near future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank MichiganVoyageur
Bay City, Michigan
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,400 helpful votes
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We chose this simple, older, motel for its location right by the harbor and ferry dock. Its location cannot be beat. The view cannot be beat. And it is close to a couple of restaurants/bars/stores.

Our room was on the water side, and the large windows (2 of which open) are wonderful for viewing the bay, boats, ferry, and Whiskey Point Lighthouse. It is a fairly large room. The bed was comfortable and the pillows decent. Linens pretty good, too. There is only a steel hanging rack, with about 6 hangars. No luggage rack. There is one chair, that is good for sitting on for about 5 minutes....! The desk/dresser is very, very old, banged up extensively, and only one drawer would open. The desk drawer did open. There is a lamp on the desk, and a coffee maker. There is also a decent frig that kept things cold.

The room seems to have been remodeled over the last few years-the walls, carpet, windows, blinds, and bathroom are fine. Very basic, but fine. The blinds didn't quite fit the windows properly and the screens had some tiny holes in them, and/or are not fitted to the window anymore, thus quite a few mosquitoes can and do get in. The toilet needs replacing as it appears to leak and it looks pretty bad. Shower pressure was good to poor. I guess that depends on how many others are using this motel-there are 8 rooms, and maybe everyone was taking a shower at the same time? Towels are OK. Bath products basic. No hair dryer.

NO A/C. They do have a very cool ceiling fan that works well and seems new and modern. There is also a floor fan. We used them all, plus had the windows open.

The room was clean upon arrival. However, after that, it did not get cleaned. They came in our room one day only. They picked up our dirty towels. That is it. Didn't dump the trash, vacuum, scour out the sink or tub, make the bed. The remaining days there no one ever came to clean our room, even to get the dirty towels. I found this totally unacceptable. We were surprised, because we not only left a tip, (they didn't take it), but we had just spoken to the housekeepers as they neared our room and once in the office. There are no "do not disturb" signs, so that was not it, either. We left by 10 each morning, and so that was not it either. WE never saw or spoke to the owner of the motel. EVER.

The picnic tables and grills provided outside are a nice thing to have, but all need replacing badly, especially the picnic tables. Large chunks of wood are missing out of the seats, and the rest of the wood is in very poor condition. I wouldn't even sit at the tables after scratching my leg the first night there chatting with the people in the room beside us. Also, the grass needed cutting, badly, like a week before-lol.

The swimming beach is very small, but there is sand. Also some reeds. There is an excellent public beach/picnic area/playground about 1/2 block down. Go there! There is also a little, quiet park two doors down the other way with a couple of benches. Locals tend to congregate there on that beach.

Prices are too high for this motel. I found a couple other motels that were full while visiting and I'd choose them if I could have. One has a great view of the harbor/bay, but is not directly on the bay.

I really can't recommend the place, but if all else is full, then I'd take a room here. If the owner would put some effort into keeping the place cleaner and the grounds up, and fix things as they need repair, then it would be a nice place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank tymetraveler222
Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Being by the water and on the beach was important to us and close to everything. The rooms are basic and served the purpose of a place to rest and shower. Simple rooms and it being a smaller place seemed homey. Close to restaurants/bars and next to the boat dock and watching the ferries come in and out. Walking was a short distance to other shops and grocery store. Owner lives there and was helpful - even came to the airport to pick us up!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank PolishWoman

Been to Erin Motel? Share your experiences!